Not connected, Your IP: 18.227.24.209
Sign in to follow this  
cccthats3cs

How is port forwarding configured?

This question has to do with port forwarding and is twofold: How are ports assigned to devices in the client area, and is there any issue if multiple devices with forwarded ports are connected to the same server?

I have looked through the guides but am not seeing the information that I'm after, and moreover, the linked port forward guide is from 2015 and the port forwarding functionality may have changed since then, so I want to make sure I understand this before I buy AirVPN. Additionally, some other forum posts made reference to various issues (whether port forwarding related or total loss of connectivity) if multiple devices with forwarded ports were connected to the same server.

My ideal use case is:
I pick 2 random ports on my account. Let's say I am able to get ports 12345 and 23456.
I have two devices, A and B. I would like port 12345 to be for A, and port 23456 to be for B.
Ideally, I would like both A and B to be connected to the same server which I will call Foobar. At some point in the future, there may be other devices C and D, which I would also like to get a port for, and connect to that server, if possible.

Now the specific questions:
1. Can I assign a specific port to a specific device? (This would be through Eddie - Linux CLI using WireGuard, or WireGuard manual config if that is not possible.)
2. From some forum posts I read, it seems like this is possible, but relies on entering in the local IP address assigned to the device on the VPN network interface. If this is the case, does that IP address on each device ever change, necessitating a change to the port forwarding config?
3. Would there be any issues, port forwarding or otherwise, if I connected both devices to the same server?

Thanks

Posted ... (edited)

I will share my setup which I think is close to what you want to achieve:
1. I have created two devices in the Client Area -> VPN Devices:
image.png.5419cb77c600623a20ab018f856a00c2.png

2. I forwarded ports and assigned them to devices:
image.png.6552507b53d9b7e502d1774a7de89a39.png

3.a In Eddie a drop-down menu appeared (you may need to re-login in the app) and I selected the device:
image.png.e84a1abd7c4f2647fc4d129161c2843c.png

3.b For the other device I used config generator (in the Client Area) and I selected the other device in the menu.
image.thumb.png.571c3b6378cece3d880f5d03a46d9280.png

With this setup I can connect to the same VPN server on both PC and Laptop and the port forwarding works because system knows which ports to open for each connection/device.
Of course there is no need to do all this if both devices connect to different servers.
The default behavior if I recall is that the newest connection to that VPN server will override the port forwarding rules for older connection(s).

Result:
image.thumb.png.cb642a417ccef93609d97b845faedf86.png

image.thumb.png.533c704b04f8c3ad4dfd0c246aaa156e.png

PS.
Kudos to AirVPN for having the most flexible port forwarding system on the market 😉

Edited ... by matts9