Not connected, Your IP: 3.145.186.173
Sign in to follow this  
uptheaffiliates

ANSWERED [SOLVED] Very low download speeds

Hello! New customer seeking some help getting setup. I just purchased and installed the software + subscription and setup port forwarding, however I'm getting very low download speeds in qBitTorrent. Without the VPN active, I get 30-35 MB/s down, but with the VPN active it seems to max out at less than 2 MB/s down. I've tried a variety of servers and they all have the same very low speeds. I'm in the US and I'm using US servers. According to multiple port checkers, I have successfully forwarded the port I'm trying to use. Any guesses as to the cause of these slow speeds? Thanks for any help you can provide.

Edit: Per another suggestion I maxed out the send/receive buffers and that did not help. I've also installed Wireguard and set up a tunnel using my AirVPN credentials and that seems to have given me much more palatable download speeds. Is this effectively the same as using the Eddie tunnel?

Hello!

Eddie is a GUI and "wrapper" for WireGuard and OpenVPN. Just use the protocol which can give you the best performance, in this case WireGuard. For additional investigation on why OpenVPN is dramatically slower please feel free to open a ticket or continue the discussion here, as you prefer.

Kind regards

Thanks for the reply! I recall now that when using Mullvad I also had to use Wireguard for best performance. So long as using the Wireguard app instead of Eddie amounts to the same thing (protected connection) then I'm happy to continue doing that. Appreciate the info!

9 minutes ago, uptheaffiliates said:

Thanks for the reply! I recall now that when using Mullvad I also had to use Wireguard for best performance. So long as using the Wireguard app instead of Eddie amounts to the same thing (protected connection) then I'm happy to continue doing that. Appreciate the info!

Hello!

As you prefer, of course. Keep in mind that if you run Eddie you can also have the leaks prevention thanks to the "Network Lock" feature. You can tell Eddie to connect via WireGuard or via OpenVPN in the "Preferences" > "Protocols" window. Uncheck "Automatic", select the connection mode you prefer (in your case WireGuard), click "Save". Enjoy AirVPN!

Kind regards

Ah, that's fixed it! Now I have it setup to use only Wireguard through Eddie and my speeds are great, and network lock is enabled. Appreciate the prompt support. Feel free to close this if you need to.