Not connected, Your IP: 3.237.178.126
bumwolf

Eddie no longer installs on Manjaro Linux

I have been installing Eddie on Manjaro for years.  I recently did a clean install and since then I can no longer install it through the AUR.  I traditionally do it through Pamac but since that kept giving me errors I tried YAY still the same issues.  Here's the error message
Building eddie-tray - If compilation errors occur, remember libayatana-appindicator3-dev package is required.
/var/tmp/pamac-build-bumwolf/eddie-ui/src/Eddie-2.21.8/src/UI.GTK.Linux.Tray/build.sh: line 34: pkg-config: command not found
/var/tmp/pamac-build-bumwolf/eddie-ui/src/Eddie-2.21.8/src/UI.GTK.Linux.Tray/build.sh: line 34: pkg-config: command not found
/var/tmp/pamac-build-bumwolf/eddie-ui/src/Eddie-2.21.8/src/UI.GTK.Linux.Tray/main.cpp:32:10: fatal error: libayatana-appindicator/app-indicator.h: No such file or directory
   32 | #include <libayatana-appindicator/app-indicator.h>
 |          ^~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
compilation terminated.
==> ERROR: A failure occurred in build().
    Aborting...
I tried updating build so far no luck. I do have libayatana-appindicator3-dev package installed as well. I have managed to get by running the Appimage version of Eddie, but I would really like to have it installed on the system.  Any advice would be appreciated. 

@bumwolf

Hello!

Is libayatana-appindicator really unavailable for Manjaro? Apparently it's available:
https://software.manjaro.org/package/libayatana-appindicator

The missing header file mentioned in the fatal error should be available when you install the developer package, anyway it's here, if it may help:
https://github.com/AyatanaIndicators/libayatana-appindicator/tree/master/src

Kind regards

There are no dev packages on Arch. The headers are always packed with the normal packages.
Anyway, I found the tarball in a Manjaro mirror and checked whether the header file exists in the package, and it does. Not sure why it shouldn't work, it's even a runtime dependency, so definitely installed by the helper.

NOT AN AIRVPN TEAM MEMBER. USE TICKETS FOR PROFESSIONAL SUPPORT.

LZ1's New User Guide to AirVPN « Plenty of stuff for advanced users, too!

Want to contact me directly? All relevant methods are on my About me page.

11 hours ago, OpenSourcerer said:

There are no dev packages on Arch. The headers are always packed with the normal packages.
Anyway, I found the tarball in a Manjaro mirror and checked whether the header file exists in the package, and it does. Not sure why it shouldn't work, it's even a runtime dependency, so definitely installed by the helper.

Hello!

OK, thank you for the correction and the precious help!

@bumwolf

Did you manage to resolve the problem in the meantime?

Kind regards
AirVPN Support Team

No still having issues.  Manjaro has been triggering several issues as of late with program installations, specifically anything to do with the AUR.   I'll probably distro hop back over to Kubuntu since I have no issues with the Deb package you provide for that distro.  Thanks for the help. 

14 hours ago, bumwolf said:

Manjaro has been triggering several issues as of late with program installations, specifically anything to do with the AUR.

That's probably because the AUR is not meant for Manjaro users. The majority of PKGBUILDers are building and testing against Arch Linux since supporting a swathe of its derivatives is some serious work. You should probably jump ship to the real deal if you want the AUR.

Posted ... (edited)

Oh trust me, I avoid the AUR like the plague, only have maybe 4 programs I use from it.  Always go Official Repo, Then Flatpak last resort the AUR.  I have gone full Arch in the past.  It's good to play around with but for a person who works mostly in graphic design software it's not a great daily driver. 
I did some more tinkering around with the installation issue, finally was able to get it to install.  I had to install all the dependencies first to get libayata-appindicator to work which are libdbusmenu-gtk3, cmake (make), gobject-introspection (make), vala (make) all which can be installed using pamac or the command line pacman from the Manjaro repos.  Eddie is still installable, just have to jump through some extra hoops.  Hope this helps the few who use Manjaro or maybe any of the Arch based distros. 

Edited ... by bumwolf
Forgot a few words to make the sentence make sense.

Please be a tad more specific about what you did to fix your issue. Optimally provide commands. :)

It can be done using the gui Pamac.  But if you want to use the Command line just enter each "sudo pacman -S libdbusmenu-gtk3"  "sudo pacman -S cmake" "sudo pacman -S gobject-introspection " "sudo pacman -S  vala" Basically installed all the dependencies first then "sudo pacman -S libayata-appindicator" if you do it the other way around it won't install properly thus making yay or Pamac not be able to build eddie-ui.  I'm thinking all this stuff was installed by default in the past in Manjaro, but with their recent update they dropped those packages.  Up till February, I was able to install Eddie on a fresh Manjaro install without any issues. 

Posted ... (edited)

I just installed eddie-ui stable in a fresh manjaro installation.  Downloaded the iso file yesterday and today was testing the new installer. Eddie got installed without  problems just with the .arch.tar.zst provided from this site and locally with sudo pacman -U. I use it often so I had most of the dependencies for openvpn installed and I noticed that the base installer noticed a package missing. Great! I didn't had to use the AUR repos.  I had tried the AUR method before this and it gave me troubles.

Best Regards to the forum and all the community helpers.

Edited ... by MRsmooth

Posted ... (edited)

I faced the same issue when trying to install Eddie-UI from the Pamac GUI (from AUR).
As a workaround, I had to do the following:

1. Install some of the dependencies using Pacman

sudo pacman -S libdbusmenu-gtk3
sudo pacman -S cmake
sudo pacman -S gobject-introspection
sudo pacman -S  vala 
2. Install Eddie-UI from AUR using Pamac GUI by searching for "eddie-ui". This will install the libayata-appindicator along.

P.S: Tested using Manjaro 23.1.3 (Kernel 6.6.10) Edited ... by biborn
Add OS information