Not connected, Your IP: 3.128.199.88
Grindle222

Buttons on the Eddie Servers page

When using Eddie and viewing the Settings page, there are a number of buttons (icons), but what do they do?  The top one looks like an arrow pointing to a door but I don't know that means: it appears to disconnect, so I guess the icon is supposed to suggest an exit.  Below that is a green check mark (maybe that means connect?), and below that one is a red X (maybe disonnect?).  Below that one is a blank-looking button so I have no idea about that one, and below it is one that is very confusing.  Below that is a button with 3 dots suggesting further settings but it appears to show configuration information.  Finally, below that one there are two circling arrows that suggests "refresh," but when I press it everything get reordered but not in any way that makes sense; if I want to get back to the ordering scheme I had been showing I have to close Eddie - disconnecting from AirVPN - and restart it.  But then, having pushed those buttons as I tried to figure them out, I now can't get things back as they originally were.

In fact, it's now much worse.  I can't get anything to show in the latency column (neither speed nor latency) no matter what I do.  And I can mark servers with green checks or red Xs, but have no idea what that means.  I have no stars showing at all for any servers, and the two circling arrows button does absolutely nothing.  I really wish I had never tried to figure this out!

@Grindle222

Hello!

If you mouse over any button you should see a tool tip displaying a brief description of what that button does. Alternatively, right-click on a server name, or a country name. The contextual menu will link all the icons to specific menu items self-describing the action performed by each item and thus any menu button as well. Example:

Screenshot_20230405_111354.thumb.png.f4e916773735bea4bd723ff67c8f73e6.png

Here above you can see that the arrow pointing to the door means "connect now" to the selected server, the green tick means "Allow list" and so on.

I can't get anything to show in the latency column (neither speed nor latency) no matter what I do. 

This is unexpected and for this problem we invite you to open a ticket at your convenience. The support team will provide you with assistance. In general, here we can say that the "Latency" column list is compiled by sending ICMP packets (by using "ping", so to be precise it shows round trip times and not latencies) to the various servers, so it will not work if your ISP (or some packet filtering tool in your system) blocks such packets. It's anyway not essential to use Eddie.

Kind regards

5 minutes ago, Staff said:

If you mouse over any button you should see a tool tip displaying a brief description of what that button does

I was just going to get at Mr. Grindle222, but he's right – the tooltips aren't shown on Eddie 2.22.2. I can fully understand the confusion.

NOT AN AIRVPN TEAM MEMBER. USE TICKETS FOR PROFESSIONAL SUPPORT.

LZ1's New User Guide to AirVPN « Plenty of stuff for advanced users, too!

Want to contact me directly? All relevant methods are on my About me page.

29 minutes ago, OpenSourcerer said:

I was just going to get at Mr. Grindle222, but he's right – the tooltips aren't shown on Eddie 2.22.2. I can fully understand the confusion.

We see the problem in Linux, while in other systems the tool tips are displayed. Developer will be informed.

Kind regards

9 hours ago, Grindle222 said:

And I can mark servers with green checks or red Xs, but have no idea what that means.  I have no stars showing at all for any servers, and the two circling arrows button does absolutely nothing.  I really wish I had never tried to figure this out!

Hello!

Under a more radical point of view, if you fear that Eddie setup has become garbled and you can't restore a working setup, you can go back to the default settings by selecting "Preferences" and clicking "Reset to default settings". This procedure might be ineffective if even the configuration file is corrupt (a very rare occurrence but you never know). In this last case, delete the following file, while Eddie is not running (you can use rm command):
rm ~/.config/eddie/default.profile
At the next run, Eddie will re-create a clean profile with default settings (you will need to re-enter your AirVPN account credentials as well).

Kind regards

Thank you all for answering my questions!  I now know what the buttons do!  Yes, the mouseover doesn't work on Linux, but I now know how to get the information.  Thanks!
I still don't undertand about choosing latency or speed - neither seems to matter - but I'm not gonna ask.