Not connected, Your IP: 3.86.235.207

MacOS Ventura / Eddie: Current speed is shown twice / Not able to check routes on network change

Posted ... (edited)

Hello,

i have experienced two issues while using Eddie (2.22.2) on MacOS Ventura:

1. The current speed is shown x2 as if Eddie measures it by using two (or more) network adapters. This goes for the main window as well as for the system bar when activated.
2. When i make Eddie(.app) autostart when logging in (Login Item) and it initializes the network configuration before a connection is established, it connects but it is not able to successfully check routes (IP4/IP6) which makes it hang around. I have to restart Eddie manually to make it work.

Anybody else experiencing these kind of issues? 

Thanks.

Edited ... by winnerwinnerchickendinner

Hi,
I've seen the connect-eddit-before-wifi issue too, many times, and just reproduced it. Turning off routes and dns checks will supposedly connect but *will have a nonworking connection*!
I hadn't noticed but just reproduced the speed indicator issue as well, see attached short screen recording for download speeds. I have no objective info about the actual download speeds or if the data shown by the applet absolutely precise. However I believe it's rather unlikely that your source for that suspicion and my tool are both wrong than Eddie being correct.

Posted ... (edited)

Additionally, I noticed that Eddie deactivated the Network Lock when quitting (and I wonder if it always did..). Consequently I cannot establish a VPN connection without a time window during which non-VPN connections can leak 😟

Edited ... by sebi
make it clear that I'm talking about network lock deactivation during application exit

Thanks. Disabling route and dns checks did not work for me either and i have just reproduced the network lock issue. It gets deactivated when Eddie quits. So, even after a reboot it is not active anymore. It only get activated once Eddie starts and it only stays active when Eddie crashes or is forcefully killed.

4 hours ago, winnerwinnerchickendinner said:

Thanks. Disabling route and dns checks did not work for me either and i have just reproduced the network lock issue. It gets deactivated when Eddie quits. So, even after a reboot it is not active anymore. It only get activated once Eddie starts and it only stays active when Eddie crashes or is forcefully killed.

Hello!
At least this behavior is exactly as intended. If you cleanly shut down Eddie, it is assumed that you don't want Eddie service anymore. On the contrary, if Eddie crashes or receives a SIGKILL then the firewall rules of the Network Lock feature remain in place and prevent any leak.

If you want a permanent disconnection from the Internet even when Eddie is not running, and/or even while the system is bootstrapping, you need to set proper firewall rules and make them permanent. In this way you may have leaks theoretically only before the firewall comes up (a very short moment when the network interfaces come alive and get configured but the fw is not yet operational - immediately after that, the firewall is brought up and the packet filtering table populated), and only if some system process is incredibly quick to start and create a socket even before the firewall is fully operational.

Kind regards

49 minutes ago, Staff said:

Hello!
At least this behavior is exactly as intended. If you cleanly shut down Eddie, it is assumed that you don't want Eddie service anymore. On the contrary, if Eddie crashes or receives a SIGKILL then the firewall rules of the Network Lock feature remain in place and prevent any leak.

If you want a permanent disconnection from the Internet even when Eddie is not running, and/or even while the system is bootstrapping, you need to set proper firewall rules and make them permanent. In this way you may have leaks theoretically only before the firewall comes up (a very short moment when the network interfaces come alive and get configured but the fw is not yet operational - immediately after that, the firewall is brought up and the packet filtering table populated), and only if some system process is incredibly quick to start and create a socket even before the firewall is fully operational.

Kind regards

Thank you for the clarification.

What about the problem that Eddie is not able to establish a connection when it is started before the main network connection (e.g. WiFi) is established? And what about the speed measurement bug?

Hello!

What about the problem that Eddie is not able to establish a connection when it is started before the main network connection (e.g. WiFi) is established? And what about the speed measurement bug?

The speed measurement seems correct and it is expected that different measurements are... different, as far as we can see from @sebi clip, since you must discern the total throughput from the throughput of each network interface.

The inability to establish a connection before the WiFi card is configured might be a more complex problem related to how OpenVPN and WireGuard work and it needs additional investigation. The whole issue will be brought under the attention of the developer. Feel free to report on GitHub too, if you prefer so.

Kind regards