Not connected, Your IP: 3.133.146.143
jcpingu

AirVpn Servers in Atlanta, Georgia (High RTT)

Can someone help me understand this? I am located in the same town as the VPN servers in Atlanta, Georgia, however, I am experiencing the highest RTT from from those servers. In the below graph, VPN1 has the highest RTT than any of the others. VPN1 is located in Atlanta, Georgia. VPN2 is in Miami, Florida. VPN3 is in Chicago, Illinois. According to Airvpn, this server(VPN1) should be 0 ms from where I am which is Atlanta, Georgia. Could it be that this server is not really in the town it says that it is? What is the explanation for the high RTT?Pfsense_1.png.645505dd3cfeb6c34eda30cfab300028.pngPfsense_2.png.e0a880e47cd4eed91eaa6180901f0880.png

Hello!

For the readers, we paste the reply by the support team to your ticket:
====

Hello and thank you for your choice!

We report the physical location of the server which in this case is Atlanta. [....] we assume that the provider claims the truth and we also perform some network verification. 
[Try]

mtr 64.42.179.58
you will see in the last hops:
core.atl.dedicated.com
which is inside a datacenter in Atlanta. http://atldedicated.net/ Note that the the IP address belongs to a company located in Vancouver (WA), maybe you were confused by that.

About the round trip time, you need to consider that physical distance is not necessarily related with direct proportionality to network distance, although of course the physical distance plays an important role.

Consider the common case for which a residential ISP serving you must reach the node of someone living just in front of your road, but connected to another ISP, and that those ISPs interconnect via a peering agreement with a tier 1 transit provider whose nearest node is 100 Km away from you. To reach the house node which is a few meters away from your house, your packets will enter your ISP network and will be routed according to the Internet "best effort" routing. Sooner or later they will get out of your ISP network, reach the tier 1 provider hop 100 Km away, and then start their travel back to the house in front of you. So, in this particular case, packets will have traveled a minimum of 200 Km (and probably more) to reach a node which is a few meters away from yours.

Use mtr tool to verify routes, round trip times etc., it will also help you understand the problems of routing, peering and interconnections (the Internet is (also) a huge set of networks which try to reach each other "in some way"). A nice article is available in Wikipedia https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Peering

===

Kind regards

Thank you for your response and explanation. However, I still think airvpn should still look into this. There's no reason that the ms is more than double locally than trying to connect to a server that is way farther than Atlanta. 24 vs 52 for something that should be local is a very big difference. Thanks again

|------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------|
|                                      WinMTR statistics                                   |
|                       Host              -   %  | Sent | Recv | Best | Avrg | Wrst | Last |
|------------------------------------------------|------|------|------|------|------|------|
|                              10.128.0.1 -    0 |    5 |    5 |    8 |    8 |    9 |    8 |
|                          23.103.107.254 -    0 |    5 |    5 |    8 |    8 |    8 |    8 |
|                      Request timed out. -  100 |    2 |    0 |    0 |    0 |    0 |    0 |
|   be2978.ccr41.dfw03.atlas.cogentco.com -    0 |    5 |    5 |    8 |    9 |   10 |    9 |
|   be2763.ccr31.dfw01.atlas.cogentco.com -    0 |    5 |    5 |    9 |    9 |    9 |    9 |
|   be2441.ccr41.iah01.atlas.cogentco.com -    0 |    5 |    5 |   14 |   14 |   14 |   14 |
|   be2687.ccr41.atl01.atlas.cogentco.com -    0 |    5 |    5 |   27 |   27 |   28 |   27 |
|   be2847.ccr41.atl04.atlas.cogentco.com -    0 |    5 |    5 |   28 |   28 |   29 |   28 |
|     ae0-49.cr1.atl1.us.unitasglobal.net -    0 |    5 |    5 |   26 |   26 |   26 |   26 |
|                           198.32.132.42 -    0 |    5 |    5 |   25 |   25 |   26 |   26 |
|  inap.cust.cr2.atl1.us.unitasglobal.net -    0 |    5 |    5 |   25 |   26 |   27 |   26 |
|         border2.ae1-bbnet1.acs.pnap.net -    0 |    5 |    5 |   25 |   35 |   74 |   25 |
|            usd-29.satedge2.acs.pnap.net -    0 |    5 |    5 |   25 |   25 |   27 |   25 |
|                  core.atl.dedicated.com -    0 |    5 |    5 |   27 |   33 |   50 |   30 |
|                            64.42.179.58 -    0 |    5 |    5 |   25 |   25 |   26 |   26 |
|________________________________________________|______|______|______|______|______|______|
   WinMTR v1.00 GPLv2 (original by Appnor MSP - Fully Managed Hosting & Cloud Provider)
no indication that the server isn't in atlanta to me.  it's just that your ISP making your traffic to the server's network go the long way around somewhere.  show us the mtr so we can see it ourselves.

on hop 10, I think is the issue. the core.atl.dedicated.com. Look on this line, the worst ping from it was (194). I am not making this up. This is my result. I am still getting the same from my first graph I postedPfsense_1.png.350a56ee72ec8b057d2574c74ae76802.png

Posted ... (edited)

I live in ATL. You can not tell me that there is not an issue when I can get a better RTT in NYC, MIA, CHI than I can get in ATL. I am getting 26ms in NYC, 31ms in MIA, 24 in CHI. However, in the city that I live and this server is suppose to be, I get 52ms in ATL. There's a problem somewhere...

This graph is for NYC, MIA, and CHI
Pfsense_NYC.JPG.950aa8e9ae2f7a3d33f7825b38c7a697.JPG

Edited ... by JC Michel

@jcpingu

Hello!

Yes, your mtr output shows that the what you experience is not strictly related to some Atlanta datacenter problem. Generally speaking, it's how the Internet works with "best effort" routing, which in turn is determined (also, among other factors) by peering agreements. See also. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Peering and  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tier_1_network#Routing_through_peering

If your ISP [transit provider] (SBCGlobal?) does not offer low round trip times to/from "our" datacenter in Atlanta, don't be too upset or discouraged, it may happen: as you have seen, you can get excellent round trip times with other datacenters, geographically farther away, but nearer in terms of "network distance" (round trip time). Compare the mtr output by @go558a83nk  whose packets go directly to Cogent to see an example difference. "Our" Atlanta datacenter traffic is served by Internap, which (at least in Atlanta) in turn interconnects directly with Lumen (former Level3, tier1), so we have operated well here in the best interest of our customers. There's nothing we can do under this respect in this datacenter.

Since you get a lower round trip time with servers in other datacenters, use them! We offer a variety of options for peering and load alternatives and redundancy: for example in the USA we have servers in datacenters which (globally) have PoP either in  to major tier1 networks (AT&T, Lumen (Level3)) or major tier2 networks (Cogent, Verizon, Hurricane). By doing so we maximize the likelihood that an AirVPN user can find a datacenter with a "good peering" with his/her residential ISP (or at least with his/her residential ISP's transit provider(s)). Trust us, it's not easy to operate a really agnostic and neutral network in USA datacenters, due to the widespread hostility against specific protocols.

Kind regards

what is the monitor IP address you are using for that gateway?     have you changed it from the default to like google dns?  I changed mine and mine slowly crept up