Not connected, Your IP: 3.14.6.194
tolstolobik

Cannot access port via airdns.org subdomain

Hello everyone,

I have got a problem with connecting to my service via <name>.airdns.org:<open port>. I can connect to the service via entering airvpn ip:<open port> address. I have tried two independent internet connections, not sure but seems that domain cannot be resolved to ip address for me for some reason. From the AirVPN DNS test, I can see that correct IP is recorded for <name>.airdns.org. Can anyone recommend some further troubleshooting steps?

2 hours ago, tolstolobik said:

Hello everyone,

I have got a problem with connecting to my service via <name>.airdns.org:<open port>. I can connect to the service via entering airvpn ip:<open port> address. I have tried two independent internet connections, not sure but seems that domain cannot be resolved to ip address for me for some reason. From the AirVPN DNS test, I can see that correct IP is recorded for <name>.airdns.org. Can anyone recommend some further troubleshooting steps?

Hello!

Currently the resolution of your *.airdns.org domain name is correct, it resolves into the exit-IP address of the VPN server you're currently connected to. We have checked the propagation on various public DNS servers on the Internet  and they are all fine, maybe the one you query did not update?  Consider that TTL is 1 hour, so on average you can expect 30 minutes updates.

Kind regards

Hello!

Thank you for taking a look. Yes, I have retried and HTTP access via airdns domain works is working correctly now! Looks like it was related to TTL. I hope that you can help me with additional question about port forwarding.

I want to be able to reach out to my self-hosted service while it is behind AirVPN. Might be not ideal, but my ISP router simply does not provide IP4 port forward which is a pain, so relying on VPN might be a workaround. The webservice itself is sitting behind Nginx proxy that listens to the opened local 443/80/81 ports.

Ideally, I want to be able to encrypt my connections with TLS, but there is a problem here. I have pointed a domain mysubdomain.example.com to <name>.airdns.org  with CNAME record. I was also able to get a certificate from letsencrypt with Nginx for mysubdomain.example.com. However, I am not able to connect to my service by using mysubdomain.example.com:<open port>, I get either a timeout or 502 bad gateaway error.

My question is if this approach is a valid one? I appritiate any tips on how to move forward with this. Thanks!