Not connected, Your IP: 54.224.43.79
Staff

[Android TV / Amazon Fire OS] How to install Eddie 3.0

Hello!

In the past we did not announce new guides in the "News" forum, but from now on relevant guides will be also announced here. A new guide is available and it describes step by step how to install Eddie Android edition in Fire OS devices, such as Amazon FireStick and Cube TV. The guide can be also taken as a reference to side load Eddie (or any APK) on any Android TV device too.
https://airvpn.org/android/eddie/apk/tv/

IMPORTANT: before you install, make sure that any previous Eddie version is uninstalled. (*)

So here's the issue: Amazon has decided that all apps with certain behaviors must now include in-app purchases through Amazon Pay, and they'll take a 30% commission (20% for small developers and non-business ones). And it just so happens that our app, Eddie, facilitates the creation of non-Amazon accounts - which apparently counts as one of those behaviors. You see, Eddie can be used with VPN services (not Amazon's) that support WireGuard or OpenVPN, and many (if not all) of these services require creating an account to access them. Plus, the AirVPN website can be accessed from the app menu and the AirVPN logo is all over the place. So, Eddie is an app that pushes users to create non-Amazon accounts.

We've decided, at least for now, to forego in-app purchases in the Eddie Android edition in order to keep the app open and avoid paying those commissions to Amazon. If we were to pay the 30% commission and maintain the same prices on our website and app, we would be selling at a loss. However, this means that Eddie won't be available on the Amazon AppStore anymore. This is where side loading comes in handy, at the price of  just a couple of minutes of your time.

As for the Eddie unavailability on the Google App Store for Android TV devices (it's available for any other Android device), we're waiting for an explanation from Google and hoping to fix the issue if possible. In the meantime, Android TV owners can use the guide linked above to install Eddie 3.0.

Kind regards & datalove
AirVPN Staff

(*) When you try to install a newer version of an Android app using an APK file, you may encounter an error message stating that the "App not installed" because the package conflicts with an existing package by the same name. This occurs because Android uses the package name as a unique identifier for each app, and you cannot have two apps with the same package name installed on the same device. To fix this, you need to uninstall the older version of the app before installing the newer version. This can be done by going to the Settings app, selecting "Apps," finding the app in the list, and tapping the "Uninstall" button. Once the older version is uninstalled, you will be able to install the newer version using the APK file without any issues.

On 12/29/2022 at 6:31 PM, zsam288 said:

if i go to airvpn.org/tv as per the guide it downloads a bin file iso apk

Hello!

It's the correct file. It's an APK that you can then install according to the guide. Do you experience any problem? If so, check the new notes we have added in the 1st message of this thread.

Kind regards

Wouldn't it be easier for you, and everyone else, to just increase prices for buying over Amazon store by 30%?

Advantages:
You will still be listed on app store and people would easily install app on Fire devices.

Shortcomings:
People buying there would pay 30% more.

How many buyers do you have in Amazon store? My guess is most people buy subscription directly on your website and that it wouldn't be an issue at all.
Also, you can notify people that buy over Amazon store that they can renew subscription also directly on website, cheaper.

1 hour ago, Mikeyy said:

Wouldn't it be easier for you, and everyone else, to just increase prices for buying over Amazon store by 30%?

Hello!

We had thought about it, but ruled it out for now due to various reasons. It's not a final verdict, we'll give it another look in the future.

Kind regards

On 12/29/2022 at 2:01 PM, Staff said:

Hello!

It's the correct file. It's an APK that you can then install according to the guide. Do you experience any problem?

Kind regards

I have the same problem on my nVidia Shields (2017 & 2019 Pro).  I have Eddie 2.4 installed (via sideload).  I want to update it.  Launching org.bin results in a message saying there's no app to handle this file.  Renaming it to org.apk allows it to be opened for installation, but upon completion, I get the rather unhelpful, "App not installed" message.  The same happens if I download the Eddie v2.5 or 3.0 .apk and try to sideload either one.  How can Eddie be installed/updated on a Shield?

44 minutes ago, GreyGold said:
On 12/29/2022 at 8:01 PM, Staff said:

I have the same problem on my nVidia Shields (2017 & 2019 Pro).  I have Eddie 2.4 installed (via sideload).  I want to update it.  Launching org.bin results in a message saying there's no app to handle this file.  Renaming it to org.apk allows it to be opened for installation, but upon completion, I get the rather unhelpful, "App not installed" message.  The same happens if I download the Eddie v2.5 or 3.0 .apk and try to sideload either one.  How can Eddie be installed/updated on a Shield?

Hello!

On nVidia Shield TV you have two options.
  1. Download the APK with a computer, store it in a USB key, and install from there (or install via local network)
  2. Download the APK directly on the Shield (for example with Downloader app), rename the file into org.airvpn.eddie.apk, and install it through some File Manager (both renaming and installation tested successfully with X-Plore)
Your Shield TV must be enabled to install APK downloaded from third-parties (follow the guide if in doubt).

Note: strangely we experienced problems in renaming the downloaded file with Downloader, but we had no issues with X-Plore. https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.lonelycatgames.Xplore&hl=en_US&gl=US
X-Plore is just a suggestion after a successful test, you can use your favorite file manager as usual.

Kind regards

54 minutes ago, Staff said:

Hello!

On nVidia Shield TV you have two options.
  1. Download the APK with a computer, store it in a USB key, and install from there (or install via local network)
  2. Download the APK directly on the Shield (for example with Downloader app), rename the file into org.airvpn.eddie.apk, and install it through some File Manager (both renaming and installation tested successfully with X-Plore)
Your Shield TV must be enabled to install APK downloaded from third-parties (follow the guide if in doubt).

Note: strangely we experienced problems in renaming the downloaded file with Downloader, but we had no issues with X-Plore. https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.lonelycatgames.Xplore&hl=en_US&gl=US
X-Plore is just a suggestion after a successful test, you can use your favorite file manager as usual.

Kind regards

That is exactly what I did:  (1) I downloaded directly to Shield using Downloader, then renamed & installed using X-Plore, and (2) downloaded to a PC and accessed over network with X-Plore.  In both cases, neither v2.5 nor v3.0 would install, both throwing the "App not installed" message at the end.  I tried reinstalling v2.4, and it completed successfully.

Update:  I tried uninstalling v2.4 first, after which I was able to install v3.0.  I'm at a loss to understand why I wasn't able to simply update from v2.4.

@GreyGold

Hello!

Sorry, we omitted to mention that crucial operation. When you install a new APK with the same package name of an already installed version, you need to remove the previous version first. We added a note in the first post of this thread now.

Kind regards

@zsam288

Hello!

It seems a bug of the WebView when passing the name of the file to be downloaded to the system's DownloadManager used by Downloader app. It looks resolved in our various Fire* devices. Can you tell us the exact FireOS version your device is running? Let's make a comparison.

@GreyGold

In nVidia Shield TV, the problem persists even with the most up to date system. Shield TV users may consider to save time by downloading the file with any browser with a built-in downloader. For example TV Bro is a light-weight, open source browser for Android TV featuring a built-in download manager, so it doesn't rely on system's DownloadManager. It has been tested successfully to download various apk on our nVidisa Shield TV. Then the apk can be installed with X-plore.

nVidia Shield TV users have of course a variety of additional options: side loading from an USB stick where a computer has stored the Eddie APK, or get the APK directly from the local network.

We have opened an investigation aimed at providing the most practical solutions for FireOS and Android TV users.

EDIT: resolved. We can circumvent the bad behavior by WebView in some Android TV devices by setting a different Content-Type header with a dedicated MIME type for APK.

Kind regards

Hello!

Problem resolved server-side, please try again!

Kind regards

I can attest that Air 3.0 works so frickin great on my Firesticks.

I ALWAYS download any apk's from reputable known sites, BUT then process each and every APK through virustotal where 50+ malware engines scan for any malware items.  NO exceptions!   Once passed; I send them to Downloader on the stick and then install the verified clean apk.  Really easy stuff.   I don't ever use the amazon app store even if the app is available there because I want the verification and control.