Not connected, Your IP: 3.145.94.251
htpc

Eddie autostart and auto-connect on boot with Fire TV

I'm struggling to get Eddie to autostart and autoconnect on boot on a Fire TV 2 (Xiaomi). I have read that this should be supported in some other posts. Re-connect after wake from standby works as expected and flawlessly. If the TV is power-cylcled or fully rebooted though Eddie doesn't create a connection. I'm not sure if it starts at all because I don't really have found a way of verify the running state of the app without first opening it, which obviously gives me a running app but no connection.

Even when manually opening the app no connection is made automatically. I went through all of the settings and everything I could find that seems remotely related looks correct (remember login, start VPN connection at device boot, priority to last connected, autologin sessions)

Anything else that I might be missing or that I can check? Or is this a known limitation?

Thanks for your support!

Hello!

IMPORTANT NOTE: auto-start connection of VPN apps during system bootstrap has been forbidden in Android TV 10 and higher versions by removing the essential option pertaining to all apps using VPNService API. This system castration is suspected to be a deliberate choice to hinder VPN usage while a TV or a set top box with Android TV is booting up. If your TV is running one of the aforementioned versions, be aware that this is a prohibition by design, and we can't do anything about it directly on Eddie, unfortunately.

We may anyway invite you to check whether any boot management app for your system is available, for example Launch on Boot or AutoStart No-Root. If so, you might be able to force Eddie startup during the final stage of the bootstrap. Once Eddie starts, then it can auto-connect.

If you're running Android TV 9 or older versions go on, you will not need any of the aforementioned apps.

First and foremost, make sure that "Always on vpn" option is enabled (this is the mandatory option we mentioned, which has been removed). Are you running Eddie 2.5 or 3.0? If it's 2.5, please upgrade. If you are already running 3.0, or anyway the problem persists after you have upgraded, can you send us a report generated by Eddie after a boot when the auto-start and auto-connection did not went through? Open the "Setting" view, tap the paper plane icon on the top right corner, note down or copy to clipboard the link that Eddie returns to you, and send it to us (in a ticket, if you want more privacy).

Kind regards

Thanks a lot for the quick and comprehensive answer. I checked the Android version which states Version 9 and also the Version of Eddie which states Eddie Version Name:2.5. Should version 3.0 be available on the appstore? Because I cannot find it there or does it have to be installed via ADB or Downloader?

From all I understood with my version of Android this should still be possible without utilizing the mentioned Launcher Apps, which sounds encouraging :)

Update: Installing 3.0 seems to have solved the situation. I will monitor over the next few days and report back should any issues pop-up.

Thanks a lot for your help 🙏

I want to add that the custom DNS settings per device are an amazing feature. Best way to prevent Amazon from updating your devices without your consent and basically block them out of their own devices. I love it 😊

@htpc

Hello and thank you!

Should version 3.0 be available on the appstore? Because I cannot find it there or does it have to be installed via ADB or Downloader?

Eddie 3.0 is currently under review on the Amazon Appstore. The review started on December the 1st, so approval (or rejection) should arrive very soon. In the meantime a side load is mandatory if you don't have access to the Google Play Store (where Eddie 3 is live).

Kind regards

On 12/5/2022 at 2:20 PM, Staff said:

We may anyway invite you to check whether any boot management app for your system is available, for example Launch on Boot or AutoStart No-Root. If so, you might be able to force Eddie startup during the final stage of the bootstrap. Once Eddie starts, then it can auto-connect.

Hi there, tried both these apps and Launch on Boot successfully opens Eddie, but it just sits there on the quick connect page. Do I need a profile set up? 

AutoStart No-Root doesn't seem to launch anything.

firestick 4K Max, Fire OS 7.6.2.4

Posted ... (edited)

Ah, it seems it does connect, just not straight away. Took a minute or so. any way to shorten that?

Looking at the log there is almost a minute between Waiting for WireGuard handshake update and Wireguard Handshaking updated. Resuming Check.

Edited ... by litef00t