Not connected, Your IP: 44.200.101.170
Staff

Using AirVPN over TOR

Hello!

I'm trying to setup a Proxy VM in Qubes OS using sys-whonix as a NetVM, actually it would be a VPN over Tor configuration. When i'm testing the connection, i'm only able to use this configuration if i specify a concrete server. Is it possible to use VPN over Tor if i'd like to use a random connection instead? To be specific: I've downloaded the european config file (TCP-443) and changed the remote line in the .ovpn file to europe3.all.vpn.airdns.org. Unfortunately if i'm testing the connection with

sudo openvpn --cd /place/of/ovpn/file --config AirVPN_Europe_TCP-443-Entry3.ovpn
this is what i get:
RESOLVE: Cannot resolve host address: europe3.all.vpn.airdns.org:443 (Temporary failure in name resolution)
Could not determine IPv4/IPv6 protocol
SIGUSR1[Soft,init_instance] received, process restarting
If i'm using europe3.vpn.airdns.org:443 in the .ovpn file it is working. Is this how it should work, or is there something I can do about it?

Thanks any help!

[cc].all.vpn.airdns.org resolves to all addresses. [cc].vpn.airdns.org resolves to the "best" server in [cc], determined every five minutes. Use the latter in your setup.
Alternatively:Alternatively:

NOT AN AIRVPN TEAM MEMBER. USE TICKETS FOR PROFESSIONAL SUPPORT.

LZ1's New User Guide to AirVPN « Plenty of stuff for advanced users, too!

Want to contact me directly? All relevant methods are on my About me page.

Thanks @OpenSourcerer!

I wanted to use the [cc].all.vpn.airdns.org configuration because it was recommended to me in the Custom random server config generator thread by @benfitita and it worked great in other setup (not with tor) in Qubes OS or in my router.

So if i understand you correctly, in this situation i should use the random server generator and specify exactly what servers i'd like to use. So basically when i'm downloading the config file, i specify the resolved host and adding all server addresses i want to use to the OpenVPN custom directives under the Advanced options?

Is it tor specific that the [cc].all.vpn.airdns.org does not work?

10 minutes ago, KovaKovi said:

I wanted to use the [cc].all.vpn.airdns.org configuration because it was recommended to me in the Custom random server config generator thread by @benfitita and it worked great in other setup (not with tor) in Qubes OS or in my router.

Ah, I've even reacted to one of your posts in there :))
I don't know if that is setup-specific.
Your problem seems to be a DNS issue, not a VPN connection issue, so let's troubleshoot that, maybe.

15 minutes ago, KovaKovi said:

So basically when i'm downloading the config file, i specify the resolved host and adding all server addresses i want to use to the OpenVPN custom directives under the Advanced options?

It's one method you can use, yes.

26 minutes ago, OpenSourcerer said:

Your problem seems to be a DNS issue, not a VPN connection issue, so let's troubleshoot that, maybe

Then i think i'm gonna ask around in the Qubes OS forum and in the Whonix forum as well. I think it will be related to Whonix, because if i use the QubesOS's solution it works perfectly fine. I will report back if there is any progress! Till that time i will try out the random server generator too.

Am i allowed to use any AirVPN server address (like europe3.all.vpn.airdns.org) if i'm asking help? Or should i just use some random created address?

6 minutes ago, KovaKovi said:

Am i allowed to use any AirVPN server address (like europe3.all.vpn.airdns.org) if i'm asking help? Or should i just use some random created address? 

That info is more or less public, anyway. Can't see the sense of a restriction here.
Do mention, though, that [cc].vpn… returns exactly one address while [cc].all.vpn… returns one or more.

20 minutes ago, OpenSourcerer said:

Do mention, though, that [cc].vpn… returns exactly one address while [cc].all.vpn… returns one or more.

Ok, i will! Thanks!

Hello,

Newbie here...

I have ubuntu 21.04 (Host) and Windows 10 Pro (Guest in Virtualbox)

If I launch Tor browser bundle in Ubuntu(Host), Set Tor as connection mode in AirVPN -> Preferences, press the Test button ---> Will it torify all the applications in the Windows 10 Pro (guest) machine? If yes, then can we say that it will work similar to Whonix?

Or will it torify only the browsing activities in the Windows guest machine?

Thank you all in advance!

@PugConsultant

Hello!

In the host machine, your setup will force all traffic over OpenVPN over a Tor fixed circuit. You can't compare it with Tor-ification because the Tor circuit is fixed.

However, what happens to the traffic from and to the VM depends on how the VM connects to the physical network interface:
  1. if the VM connects directly to some physical network interface, i.e. it works in "bridge mode", the tunnel(s) in the host machine are "bypassed" completely
  2. if the VM is attached to the host via NAT, all the VM traffic will also be tunneled over VPN over Tor

The latter setup 2 is particularly important when your threat model includes powerful adversaries. OpenVPN over Tor tunnels OpenVPN over a fixed Tor circuit. Now, if you use Tor on the VM attached to the host via NAT, you add another Tor circuit, this time dynamic (i.e. re-built for every and each new TCP stream), where the traffic will end up before getting on to the Internet (your node -> Tor circuit 1 -> Air VPN server -> Tor different circuit -> the Internet). A significant improvement of the anonymity layer (on the VM) at the price of slower performance.

Kind regards

Posted ... (edited)

Hello Staff,

Thanks for your reply.

I have listed some combinations for a threat model that has powerful adversaries.

Could you please rank them like best, better, good, worst (both in the terms of speed and anonymity)?

Thanks again!

Host Ubuntu 21.04 (Tor + AirVPN)---------->-Virtualbox(NAT)-------->Guest Windows 10 Pro (Tor)

Host Ubuntu 21.04 (Tor)------>-Virtualbox(NAT)------->Guest Windows 10 Pro (Tor + AirVPN)

Host Ubuntu 21.04 (Tor + AirVPN)------>-Virtualbox(Whonix)-------->Guest Windows 10 Pro (Tor)

Host Ubuntu 21.04 (Tor)------>-Virtualbox(Whonix)------->Windows 10 Pro (Tor + AirVPN)

Edited ... by PugConsultant