Not connected, Your IP: 18.209.230.60
Weasel

When DNS don't match to IP Leak

Hi all;  Sorry for another question on DNS, but google was less than helpful and since there are so many tech savvy people here I thought I would ask.

I changed the DNS on my computer (Win10) from automatically obtaining a DNS to 185.228.168.168 which belongs to Cleanbrowsing.  When I run IP Leak test it is showing 173.205.92.162 which belongs to Quadranet and it keeps populating DNS address blocks (note when logged in here via Eddie it shows the Air DNS only which is good).  I have never entered the 173, my router shows a DNS of 45.90.28.129 which is Nextdns in DNS settings.

So am I messing something up, or do I have something to worry about?

Thanks for the help.

@Weasel
Hi,
The thing you described is called
anycast. In simple words there are several main entry points used by all users (like 1.1.1.1 & 1.0.0.1 for Cloudflare public DNS or 185.228.168.168 for Cleanbrowsing in your case) which will automatically redirect your requests to the closest node in order to improve performance, reliability and response times.
ipleak doesn't show host names but if you check 173.205.92.162 for example here, you'll see that it's dns-edge-usa-west-seattlex.cleanbrowsing.org  (in other words just Cleanbrowsing's node)

Thanks for this, greatly appreciate it.  I see from that link that Cleanbrowsing is owned by Quadranet which IPLEAK showed, makes sense.

12 hours ago, Weasel said:

I see from that link that Cleanbrowsing is owned by Quadranet which IPLEAK showed, makes sense.

Pretty sure that's not the case. Cleanbrowsing just rents server/s located in data center/s owned by Quadranet. Just like Air rents servers in various DCs around the globe.