Not connected, Your IP: 3.236.98.81
Nitrox

Port forwarding and p2p greatly lowers the connection speed

Hi everyone,
I'm using AIR for many years. Lately I had to reinstall my windows and had to install the newest versions of my programs. I noticed that there is a big change with my qbittorrent. I set my QBit as in the instructions on the site, set a forward port, made the torrent program use the port etc. Now when I start Qbit my overall download speed just goes down and periodically gets back up again. I tried to install an older version of qbit and when I was not using my forwarded port, the speeds were hi, thus I think that i's an issue with Air. 
https://airvpn.org/faq/p2p/
Can anyone help? Is there anything I can provide you with that might help?

transfer jumps.PNG

Hello,
try to connect via SSH (port 80). It helps me a bit. I'm quite dissapointed though as my non-vpn connection works 10 times faster than on AirVPN. On standard 443 port I've got max 200kbps 😫I also have all settings in place (ports, interface binding and so on).
I'm aware that any VPN connection will slow down overall speeds but AirVPN, in my opinion, is non usable.

2022-10-28 08_51_12-Clipboard.png

@Nitrox

Hello!

The bandwidth pattern we see in the graph you posted might be caused by uTP (a traffic shaping tool inside various torrent software which usually can't work properly with a p-t-p VPN), can you please verify and make sure that this option is disabled in your torrent software settings?

On top of that, test a connection over WIreGuard too. If you run Eddie you can switch to WireGuard in "Preferences" > "Protocols" window, otherwise you can follow the WireGuard instructions for your Operating System. The Configuration Generator will create the configuration files WireGuard needs.

The fact that your traffic throughput is higher when you do not activate remote inbound port forwarding hints again to shaping triggered by incoming traffic. If you can't manage to resolve the problem please open a ticket at your convenience.

Kind regards

@Vekh

Hello!

The poor performance you experience is not caused by Air VPN in itself.. The fact that OpenVPN over SSH helps a bit proves that you are suffering traffic shaping or maybe some technical issue related to MTU size, because OpenVPN over SSH on an agnostic network is remarkably slower than any direct connection mode.  You may see from our servers monitor that many users enjoy up to 40 times the minimum guaranteed bandwidth allocated per user by our ToS commitments.

Traffic shaping may be self-inflicted (for example if you have uTP enabled in your torrent software, or you have some filtering tool in your router or system which caps or de-prioritize certain traffic types - please check!) or enforced by your ISP (get informed about the traffic shaping policy, sometimes called "traffic management", "fair traffic use", "quality of service" etc. enforced by your ISP).

MTU size problems can be fixed too (open a ticket, see below).

Also check a connection over WireGuard, just in case your ISP explicitly caps OpenVPN and/or specific ports, or you have some MTU size problems.

Do not hesitate to open a ticket for a more specific support. In the ticket make sure to declare your Operating System name and version and include the connection log, taken while the problem is ongoing. If you run Eddie (an Air client software) include the system report, see here:
https://airvpn.org/forums/topic/50663-youve-been-asked-for-a-support-filesystem-report-%E2%80%93-heres-what-to-do/

Kind regards

Long time user of both AirVPN and qBittorrent here. I am using the latest experimental version of AirVPN v2.22.2.with Wireguard UDP 47107and qBittorrent v4.5.5. In qBittorrent I use only the peer connection protocol TCP.  I have the M500 Fibre Broadband package and using speedtest with AirVPN as above I am getting between 420 -485mbps d/l and 35.5u/l speeds regularly. With these settings I am getting download speeds of up to 35mb on a well seeded client with between 350-580 nodes. eg a 3-5GB download takes about 10 minutes. you can PM me for any advice on my set up if you like.

On 10/28/2022 at 9:29 AM, Staff said:
@Nitrox

Hello!

The bandwidth pattern we see in the graph you posted might be caused by uTP (a traffic shaping tool inside various torrent software which usually can't work properly with a p-t-p VPN), can you please verify and make sure that this option is disabled in your torrent software settings?

On top of that, test a connection over WIreGuard too. If you run Eddie you can switch to WireGuard in "Preferences" > "Protocols" window, otherwise you can follow the WireGuard instructions for your Operating System. The Configuration Generator will create the configuration files WireGuard needs.

The fact that your traffic throughput is higher when you do not activate remote inbound port forwarding hints again to shaping triggered by incoming traffic. If you can't manage to resolve the problem please open a ticket at your convenience.

Kind regards

Thanks, changing to TCP and WireGuard solved the issue :)