Not connected, Your IP: 3.215.79.206
newmy51

All These TAP Adapters...

Windows 10 Enterprise LTSC
Eddie v2.21.8
AT&T Fiber 300Mbps

In my monumental ignorance in how VPNs work, I seem to have ended up with a whole lot of these TAP Adapter Local Area Network connections (see attached). I don't know the implications of having these, how to get rid of them, if they should be gotten rid of, but I did disable them on a whim.  I was previously having issues connecting to any server, hanging at the "checking IPV4" stage of the connection process, and at the advice of another thread (perhaps in another example of monumental VPN ignorance), I unchecked both "Check AirVPN DNS" and "Check if the tunnel works" in settings, and the issue seems to have gone away... or I just did something I shouldn't have.

Thankfully, my monumental ignorance stops at the point of being able to follow clear instructions, so I am able and willing to provide any and all additional information upon request.  Thank you in advance for explaining it to me like I'm 5.

Best,

-newmy51

netconf.png

Those virtual interfaces can be deleted in the device manager. They appear in the Networking section. Uninstall everything with "TAP" in the name. Don't leave a single one there, Eddie will reinstall one if it's missing.

22 hours ago, newmy51 said:

I unchecked both "Check AirVPN DNS" and "Check if the tunnel works" in settings, and the issue seems to have gone away... or I just did something I shouldn't have.

The options tell you what they do, don't they? :)

Eddie hangs at "Checking IPv4 route", which means, it sends a message to the server via the VPN interface and expects a return message on the same interface. If it works through the tunnel, then one can conclude the tunnel works. Easy.
Unfortunately, for you it waits for a reply until a timeout is reached, then forces OpenVPN to reconnect because the tunnel appears defunct.
If you disable the check, your symptom goes away, of course, but Eddie won't try to verify that the tunnel works. That task is then left to you. It's pretty much an "I know what I'm doing" switch. And I'm pretty sure your traffic is not going through the VPN interface in this configuration.

NOT AN AIRVPN TEAM MEMBER. USE TICKETS FOR PROFESSIONAL SUPPORT.

LZ1's New User Guide to AirVPN « Plenty of stuff for advanced users, too!

Want to contact me directly? All relevant methods are on my About me page.

Hi OpenSourcerer,

Thanks for your reply.  I've deleted all those TAP adapters.  Then just when I thought I had everything "working," suddenly any server I connect to results in no download traffic whatsoever.  Kind of back to square one.  I'm guessing a log might be in order here... see attached. 

-newmy51

Eddie_20220916_192757.txt

No, please generate a support file instead. I'm interested in the config, too.

First, maybe try resetting all Eddie settings to Default.  Then like the person above noted, make sure you have no TAP adapters installed, or maybe ONE insalled/active, and delete all the rest.  (I've had problems with TAP Adapters installing on a fresh Eddie install, and in times past Id unpack the Eddie Installer with 7-zip, find the TAP Adapter, install it, reboot, then go through the full Eddie Installer process after a reboot and the TAP Adapter install). 
   Then maybe try changing some settings on your Windows Network Adapter(s)?  If you're connecting via Wi-Fi, disable your Ethernet, or connecting Ethernet disable Wireless adapter.  It looked like you are trying to connect via a Static IP?  If you're not using a Static IP, make sure to look at your IPv4 Network Connection, and check "Obtain an IP address automatically".  Personal preference for me, I uncheck "Internet Protocol Version 6 (TCP/IPv6) on my Local Wireless and/or Ethernet Connections. 
   Also, IPv4 Advanced Settings, your DNS server is noted as attlocal.net.  Try checking "Use the following DNS server addresses: and you can try swapping out your IPv4 DNS Servers (attlocal.net is probably your IP's servers, a default setting) with OpenNic servers, or maybe OpenDNS?  I like OpenDNS for my DNS Windows Adapters (208.67.222.222, 208.67.220.220, 208.67.220.222, and 208.67.222.220).  And on your Windows Adapter (WINS) check Enable LMHOSTS lookup and Disable NetBIOS over TCP/IP.  If those changes work, then go ahead and tweak your Eddie Settings to whatever you prefer (Connect at Startup, 512 buffer size, SSL>TCP Protocol, et).  Leave all TAP Adapter settings as "Default".   Hope this may help.  ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Got some IT help from a more network savvy friend.  Strangely, shutting down, unplugging the power cable, and pushing the power button several times, was what it took to get my busted ethernet connection working again, at which point Eddie connected just fine and has remained that way every since.  It's only been a few hours, so I'm not holding my breath.  Will post back here if it acts up again.  In the meantime, wifi is disabled, IPV6 is switched off, I changed the IPV4 to obtain an IP address automatically and to use one of two of the OpenDNS addresses you listed.  I don't have a static IP, not sure why there would be anything indicating I do.  Fingers crossed!  Thanks for the continued assistance.

Please be advised that OpenDNS is not open in the sense of "free, open communication", but rather "open for use by everyone". It uses blocklists and does some logging.

On 9/19/2022 at 5:15 PM, OpenSourcerer said:

Please be advised that OpenDNS is not open in the sense of "free, open communication", but rather "open for use by everyone". It uses blocklists and does some logging.

Hey there Open.  I thought the blocking OpenDNS servers were, 208.67.222.123, 208.67.220.123 ("Family Shield").  I like regular OpenDNS b/c they're fast, and I was under impression their logging was minimal.  "No logs" OpenNIC servers, for example, always seem too slow.  Please Bump/Remove this reply if Off Topic :) 

In addition to wiping my computer I'll set up a Pi-Hole later tonight  :P  However, Im genuinely curious about fast, no hassles/installs, & no logs DNS alternatives  :)

On 9/21/2022 at 1:30 AM, De Facto Pantalones said:

Hey there Open.

I see we're getting especially original with how to shorten my display name. The best one yet still ought to be OS, though. Guess I look like one. :)

OpenDNS employs
a technique called Extended Client Subnet, that's how it appears to be quicker.
ECS (Extended Client Subnet) defines a mechanism for recursive resolvers to send partial client IP address information to authoritative DNS name servers. Content Delivery Networks (CDNs) and latency-sensitive services use this to give geo-located responses when responding to name lookups coming through public DNS resolvers. Note that ECS may result in reduced privacy.
---
On 9/21/2022 at 1:30 AM, De Facto Pantalones said:

However, Im genuinely curious about fast, no hassles/installs, & no logs DNS alternatives

PiHole offers a few built-in options. You can also add two v4 and two v6 addresses of your own, such as OpenNIC. You can mix them all to minimize resolution time to a minimum.