Not connected, Your IP: 34.204.196.206

Thanks @Clodo, Installed experimental version 2.22.2, then restarted system.

image.png.1254e6e82dcec9dc144a42918b529b6b.png
Screenshot of a sample of server stats. I have done ping to server tests before, so I know the latency figures are not correct.
image.png.fb9d97d956985381bfe6dfbbe97ca27c.png

Next I refreshed pinger stats:
image.png.56d562c3a083e62425de7808b40971db.png

Stats are blank while VPN session is up. Disconnected but locked and logged in. Selected the same server as before, essentially reestablishing the broken connection.
Latency stats are a lot higher.
image.png.43870554795c4292751a9fc27214fc7f.png

Next step is disable, logout and close Eddie; shut down machine and start again in case that clears the counters. Done.
Claimed Latency for one Canadian server is looking more sensible but otherwise much the same. 
image.png.c300db3813c626f416c9051064a0b4cb.png

I'll run with this experimental version for now, just in case it sorts itself out. 

Same problem here . . . I use automatic connection.   It seems to be solved when I 'Cancel/Disconnect' the Automatic process then manually select a server.

Apologies if this was asked somewhere already - not sure if it is related to this topic as well. Eddie 2.21.8, macOS Monterey 12.5: I do not get any Latency results in the Eddie GUI at all - see screenshot for reference. Doesn't matter how often or when I click on "Refresh connection list" icon in the bottom right corner, the Latency column never shows any results. I was actually using Hummingbird so far, not Eddie. For different reasons, I wanted to switch back to Eddie now and been wondering.

@Clodo: is this related / changed in the 2.22.2 beta? Update: can confirm that the 2.22.2 version fixes this issue and latency results show up again. 👍

SCR-20221030-rog.png

1 hour ago, user972512 said:

Same problem here.
Latency checks taking a very long time.
Pop!_OS 22.04 LTS
Eddie 2.21.8

Hello!

That's expected (unfortunately) because of the reported bug which has been addressed in Eddie 2.22.2. Please test Eddie 2.22.2 and check whether the problem has been sorted out. To download Eddie 2.22.2 in the usual download page select "Other versions" then click "Experimental". You will be brought back to the download page, pointing this time to 2.22.2. Download and install as usual.

Kind regards

19 hours ago, Staff said:
@Yammy75

Hello!

"Better" or "resolved"? If not resolved, please do not hesitate to describe the behavior in detail.

Kind regards

Hi !
Resolved for me.
Thanks

2.21.8 and 2.22.2 test with Windows

Tried out 2.21.8 on a laptop with Windows 10 Pro.
Eddie launched. Network lock enabled. Logged in. Good.
Selected various servers. Long wait then restart. Fail.
Preferences -> Networking -> Protocol used for connection - changed this to IPV4 only*
This time I let Eddie choose a server for me. Eddie chose and connected to a sensible server. Success. 
Latency figures look a little high, perhaps four of five times the normal latency.

*Next, I tried connecting manually to some other servers. They seemed to run in to a long wait when checking IPV6...
Preferences -> Networking -> Protocol used for connection - changed this to IPV4, IPV6 (note order of precedence).
This worked.

Next, I downloaded experimental 2.22.2 and installed it.
This worked right away, so I looked at Preferences -> Networking -> Protocol used for connection - It seems to have inherited my preferences.
Many reported latency figures are much more normal but some are still suspiciously high.
However this does look like an improvement.
I will need to check this machine over coming days, to get a feel for what the latency figures are looking like.

2.22.2 test with Linux Mint 21 (based on Ubuntu 22.04) and update on Windows test, above

First the update on the Windows test. On booting again today, latency figures are mostly much like they should be. Some are higher than normal (snow in Austria seems to have an effect). This is looking good. :)

2.22.2 test with Linux Mint 21 (based on Ubuntu 22.04)

I had been wanting to test a fresh install for some time, in order to discover whether or not the high latency figures reported by Eddie, under Mint would default to normal.
The first hurdle was that the Linux Mint site is behind a Securi firewall which has blocked access from a swathe of Air VPN addresses in their list BLACK02.
This probably isn't related to user activity over AirVPN but affects IP address blocks assigned to Air VPN by the infrastructure owners.
One workaround is to use Opera browser and enable the "VPN". This allows access to the Mint website but will dramatically slow downloads by a factor of 20 or more. If we don't care to use a VPN for this download, going direct is over 20 times faster.
Securi do give the option to email them with a case for consideration https://login.sucuri.net/login/ 
Threatminer can display information about threats associated with the server IP address or IP block in the past. These can be years old. I don't know when the list was first applied to Linux Mint's website.

Following the fresh install, I activated the firewall and installed Eddie 2.22.2 using Gdebi package installer.
The defaults worked first time.
Latency figures were, yet again, reported much higher than reality. :think:
I wondered whether this was inherited from Ubuntu and the packages it uses. If so, other distributions based on Ubuntu might be expected to give similar results.
There is the Debian option for Mint but it's still Mint over the top, so I decided to take a step away from that for the next test.

OpenSUSE Leap 15.4 with KDE Plasma (Slackware based)

I chose this distro because it's based on Slackware and has it's own excellent hardware detection. I opted for Leap as a more stable, less bleeding edge path than their other option.
The downloaded image, with KDE Plasma, is twice the size of Mint Cinnamon and takes a lot longer to install. 
CLI is superimposed on the GUI at various times rather than hiding it in the background.
Unlike Mint, the installation media must not be removed during first boot or it will fail to boot because GRUB is missing.
When installing Eddie the auth key must be installed via Konsole first or installation will fail.

To start with I chose current Eddie 2.21.8
This works right away with defaults.
As per Windows 10, some latency is reported as high and some is almost normal. This seemed a clear improvement on Ubuntu based Mint but it wasn't to last.
I shutdown Eddie then started it again. Massive latency numbers, as per my other Linux machines. It's clearly not limited to Ubuntu.

Next I installed experimental 2.22.2. (The auth key was already installed with 2.21.8)
No latencies below 200ms. All 200 - 500ms +

My conclusion is that these issues are not distribution dependant. It's not Mint and it's not SUSE. On Mint I checked Eddie package dependencies, (as I did a few months ago on another thread).

~/Downloads$ dpkg --info eddie-ui_2.22.2_linux_x64_debian.deb

Depends: libc6 (>= 2.3.2), sudo, curl, libnotify-bin, mono-runtime, mono-utils, libmono-system-core4.0-cil, libmono-system-windows-forms4.0-cil, openvpn, stunnel4, libcurl4, libsecret-tools, libayatana-appindicator3-1

Some of these are common to both Windows and Linux. AirVPN are not responsible for what those package developers do. They can only try to work around any known or unknown bugs with those packages.

How are ping tests initiated and reported? How can the flow path be corrupted? I suspect a coding error in one of the packages. That could affect other VPN clients too but they don't all make diagnostics visible.

Just wanted to also report that I was having issues with 2.21.8 on Ubuntu 20.04, stuck on latency tests for ages when using the automatic option, but the experimental 2.22.2 version now works as snappy as it used to.
Thank you for the fix! :)

Latest test using 2.21.8 but this time on a Debian based distro. Latency figures are completely normal. Excellent.
What is different? Well Mint and SuSE use systemd like most distros, whereas this doesn't. That doesn't seem a likely cause.
As @stragu has found, experimental 2.22.2 has resolved issues with Eddie on Ubuntu, which normally uses systemd.
My plan is to run this system for at least a week and check the latency figures.

Update on my post from a week ago. Latency figures on the Debian based system continued to be reported by Eddie correctly. However there was an error on closing Eddie. It seems to relate to IPV6 and nftables network lock.

Exception: nft issue: exit:1; err:/tmp/eddie_tmp_netlock_nftables_backup.nft:231:43-50: Error: syntax error, unexpected hoplimit, expecting newline or semicolon

meta l4proto ipv6-icmp icmpv6 type  ip6 hoplimit 255 counter packets 0 bytes 0 accept
^^^^^^^^
/tmp/eddie_tmp_netlock_nftables_backup.nft:232:43-50: Error: syntax error, unexpected hoplimit, expecting newline or semicolon

Latency error replicated as per Mint! Closing down error didn't appear on shutting down Eddie first time. Power cycled the machine. Started Eddie again. Latency figures reported  high again. Shutdown error appeared again. This doesn't always happen. I wonder what the upgrade process is introducing that affects Linux?

I'm running 2.22.2 on a Windows laptop too. Latency figures are perfectly normal. It's not the network. Eddie did disconnect and start the latency test rigmarole again but that may be because the laptop went to sleep. No issues since a clean boot.

On 10/18/2022 at 7:13 PM, lemerchand said:

Any news on this issue? Another Manjaro user here with the same issue.

Hello!

Eddie 2.22.2 beta is available for download, featuring a fix for the pesky bug. Simply head to the usual download page for your OS and click "Switch to experimental" to access the update.

Kind regards

Is there any progress on the new version? I'm affected by this. I use the stable version 2.21.8.

On 1/5/2023 at 8:09 PM, j1smith said:

Is there any progress on the new version? I'm affected by this. I use the stable version 2.21.8.

Install the 2.22.2 beta above : it works like a charm !