Not connected, Your IP: 18.223.32.230
stealthboy

Running Speedtest app on iPhone disconnects the VPN

Exactly as the title says. Running a speedtest using the iOS app while connected to AirVPN kills the connection. Here’s a brief screen recording to show you what I mean:

As you can see, I successfully connect to AirVPN through the OpenVPN app, verifying the successful connection in the iOS Settings as well, but then when I run the speedtest, soon after the upload portion of the test starts, the Mbps number freezes (although the test appears to continue and finish running). Going back to Settings and OpenVPN, I see that my VPN is now disconnected. 

I’ve exported and attached the VPN logs. I don’t see anything about an error or disconnection? Correct me if I’m wrong though. I lack experience interpreting these. 

I googled for this problem and found only one other possible mention of it  in the AirVPN forums

My iOS and all involved apps are up to date:

Phone model: iPhone 12 Pro
iOS version: 15.6
OpenVPN app version: 3.3.0
Speedtest app version: 4.4.2

I tested it and I can run Speedtest without any problems with my other VPNs. 

I’m really curious about what could be causing this! Not exactly an urgent issue, especially because it’s not being reported by other users as far as I can tell, but I’m a tech support engineer and I love troubleshooting so. lol 

VPN logs.txt

On 8/3/2022 at 8:42 PM, stealthboy said:

I’ve exported and attached the VPN logs. I don’t see anything about an error or disconnection? Correct me if I’m wrong though. I lack experience interpreting these. 

No, it's… exactly as you write. Curious, if you do the speedtest and find you're disconnected, is there still a session listed in your client area?

NOT AN AIRVPN TEAM MEMBER. USE TICKETS FOR PROFESSIONAL SUPPORT.

LZ1's New User Guide to AirVPN « Plenty of stuff for advanced users, too!

Want to contact me directly? All relevant methods are on my About me page.