Not connected, Your IP: 3.134.104.173

Hi,

sorry for my poor english.

I possibile install OpenVPN under Tails OS?

Thanks.

Hello!

Yes, it is. Please note that since Tails forces all connections over TOR, you will have a connection over OpenVPN over TOR, not a pure over OpenVPN connection. This adds security at the price of poor performance. If you wish a pure OpenVPN connection (i.e. not over TOR) in Tails, you can easily have that, please read here:

https://tails.boum.org/forum/how_to_install_openvpn__63__/

Proceed with caution.

Kind regards

Hi there,

This topic is old, but since I can't start a new one cause I'm a new user... I'll try to post my doubts here.

Sorry for my English by the way, it could be better.

1) Right now I'm using AirVpn + Tor on windows 8.1 But I don't feel safe enough because of Windows. So I've downloaded Tails. My question is, which is more seucre, AirVpn + Tor on windows 8.1?? Or Tails??

2) How can I run AirVpn on Tails? Is there any guide out there?

3) When using AirVpn + Tor am I hiding Tor usage to my ISP? If I'm right, it hides the Tor usage to my ISP provider, and also the Tor exit node can only see the VPN IP, which is awesome.

4) So, to sum up, I'm planning to run Tails + obsf4 bridges + AirVpn

Well, any help is very welcomed:)) I've been browsing Internet like a crazy man during these last 2 days, and I've learned a few things, but as you can see, I'm still very noob.

Best regards guys

​​

Hi there,

This topic is old, but since I can't start a new one cause I'm a new user... I'll try to post my doubts here.

Sorry for my English by the way, it could be better.

1) Right now I'm using AirVpn + Tor on windows 8.1 But I don't feel safe enough because of Windows. So I've downloaded Tails. My question is, which is more seucre, AirVpn + Tor on windows 8.1?? Or Tails??

2) How can I run AirVpn on Tails? Is there any guide out there?

3) When using AirVpn + Tor am I hiding Tor usage to my ISP? If I'm right, it hides the Tor usage to my ISP provider, and also the Tor exit node can only see the VPN IP, which is awesome.

4) So, to sum up, I'm planning to run Tails + obsf4 bridges + AirVpn

Well, any help is very welcomed:)) I've been browsing Internet like a crazy man during these last 2 days, and I've learned a few things, but as you can see, I'm still very noob.

Best regards guys

​​Hi,

TAILS developers are not actively supporting VPN connections, as they claim:​

​​

What we don't want

Some users have requested support for VPNs in Tails to "improve" Tor's anonymity. You know, more hops must be better, right?. That's just incorrect -- if anything VPNs make the situation worse since they basically introduce either a permanent entry guard (if the VPN is set up before Tor) or a permanent exit node (if the VPN is accessed through Tor).

Similarly, we don't want to support VPNs as a replacement for Tor since that provides terrible anonymity and hence isn't compatible with Tails' goal.

If you really want a secure system, ditch Windows - it is a joke. Remember Bill Gates calls Snowden a 'traitor' and actively allows backdoors into Skype, Bitlocker and other so called 'encrypted' programs for the Stasi based on disclosures. They and other mainstream corporates (Google, Apple etc) simply can't be trusted, ever.

​Solution - migrate to FreeBSD or a linux distro as your main system. Easiest systems for Windows users to transition to IMO are: Linux Mint, Ubuntu. Debian & OpenSUSE for more intermediate users.

TAILS is good to not leave any forensic trace on the computer you are using (think whistleblower) and to enforce encrypted Tor connections, hide MAC addresses etc, but not really suitable for everyday use for privacy/anonymity.

​The gold paranoic standard O/S is Qubes (as your very secure host system, requires 64 bit infrastructure, uses Xen hypervisor), then using Whonix gateway and workstation over the top in a virtual environment. See here: https://www.whonix.org/wiki/Qubes

​Whonix also enforces Tor connections (like TAILS), and has the benefit of little meta-data or forensic evidence on computer if each internet session is using a fresh Whonix image. Also, it will fake your time/date settings when making internet connections.

​The benefit of this approach is VPN is easily incorporated theoretically (inside the network manager in the virtual machines) and you can incorporate multiple proxyVMs to compartmentalise your digital life. Also, you have many layers of network and session abstraction between you and the enemies of liberty, making their life difficult.

With straight TAILS, you're just getting Tor, and the Stasi and ISP will know it. The Stasi can also apparently determine the difference in signatures between TAILS, Whonix and other types of Tor traffic (they are that good), so using it constantly will just get you lots of attention.

​Re: deep packet inspection, Tor forums and elsewhere tells us the ISPs are capable of detecting Tor signatures, even when looking at encrypted OpenVPN traffic. So, to be sure, you should add a bridge into the mix if you think your ISP or government is actively looking for Tor users to de-anonymise.

​In summary, forget TAILS as a standard O/S. Use it in the future when you are gonna do your best Edward Snowden impersonation

​If you get all this up and running, spend a lot of time hardening the linux systems as per recommendations online, then you may eventually want to also ditch your commercial router and install something solid with PfSense running on it as a heavy duty firewall, with added intrusion detection systems etc. See online guides in these forums...

​If you MUST use Windows for some program or other, consider either running the specific program with Play on Linux (if compatible), running Windows in a virtual environment, or dual booting your brand new Linux distro with Windows. This will of course require you shrinking down the size of the Windows partition to make way for a real operating system . Apparently some Windows stuff runs quicker in virtualisation, then in real life, because frankly Windows code is a piece of shit

wow, thank you for your very detailed answer. I'll try to follow your advices although it will take me a while. But thanks a lot, a very comprehensive and detailed answer;)

In the meantime a quick decent method could be:  Use Win 8 (for now and learn Linux) as your host operating system.  Then install VirtualBox on the Win 8 host, which is super easy to do.  Build a  linux VM, which takes very little time.  In the linux VM place the TBB (TOR browser bundle) on the VM desktop and then run TOR that way.  The bundle is self contained and includes an amazing amount of security tweaks right out of the box.  So you get the picture;

ISP/router --------- Win 8 host --------- Airvpn tunnel via direct connect (suggest Eddie for new users)  ------- VirtualBox Linux VM, which is NAT'd directly to the Air tunnel ------- open TBB and use TOR.  Everything goes through ONLY the tunnel and you are using a Linux machine.  This is a safe learning experience because VM's can be built and deleted in minutes.  You can take snapshots (super fast copies) of your Linux VM's and keep returning to a clean state in seconds.  This may be a great way to start with Linux.  Other than time, I don't see you have anything to lose.

which eddie client setup should be installed on whonixx?

Debian