Not connected, Your IP: 54.144.219.156
Staff

Eddie Android edition 3.0 preview available

4 hours ago, Михаил said:

Good day Airvpn team. I just installed your last version of  Eddie Android edition 3.0 Beta 1   on my android. So far so good, would like to suggest instead to have the list of all servers sorted by their alphabetical name (will be way better to have city name then server name), it's possible to sort them by performance or have the possibility to do it. Countries like Canada or USA have several servers and it is hard to found the best performance server. Thank you for your hard work. 

Hello and thank you for your tests!

We are glad to inform you that all of the options you ask for were implemented years ago. You can sort servers by
  • name
  • connected users
  • bandwidth
  • maximum bandwidth.

Each sort can be either ascending or descending. Tap the gearbox in the "AIRVPN SERVER" view to modify the settings according to your preferences.

Moreover, if you tell Eddie to connect to a specific country (long-tap the country name in the "AIRVPN SERVER" view and select "Start connection"), Eddie will pick the "best" server according to AirVPN formula. You can also define a white list of favorite countries and/or servers, forbidden countries and/or servers, and even default countries or servers (useful to have Eddie connect during the device bootstrap only to those server(s) or country/countries you have set as default one(s)).

Thank you again for your tests and feedback!

Kind regards

17 hours ago, harold.lewis said:

hmmm, eddie disconnects again using wireguard, log send

I can confirm that i experience this as well. will send in a log when it happens again.

1 hour ago, Alexei Sator said:

My antivirus detects the apk as malware how do I fix this I am using Xiaomi 11T 

Hello!

Can you tell us the antivirus name? If you have downloaded the app from our web site and you verified the signature, it's clearly a false positive. Signature verification is necessary, just in case you have some virus which infected Eddie binary file AFTER you downloaded and installed it.  If it's a false positive, switching to a better antivirus could be an option, or you might contact the antivirus customer service to understand why its heuristic detection is so wrong. If you have an infection for real, then you already had a virus before you downloaded the APK, and Eddie was infected as well.

Kind regards

2 hours ago, mamegoma said:

i have sent in a log a couple of hours ago regarding the issue mentioned above

Hello!

We have not received it, can you please check and re-send? Remember to open a ticket and send us the link or the code to the report.

Kind regards

10 hours ago, Staff said:

Hello!

Can you tell us the antivirus name? If you have downloaded the app from our web site and you verified the signature, it's clearly a false positive. Signature verification is necessary, just in case you have some virus which infected Eddie binary file AFTER you downloaded and installed it.  If it's a false positive, switching to a better antivirus could be an option, or you might contact the antivirus customer service to understand why its heuristic detection is so wrong. If you have an infection for real, then you already had a virus before you downloaded the APK, and Eddie was infected as well.

Kind regards

Hello! I am using my phones default antivirus app sadly I can't uninstall it since it is one of the default apps on my phone. For now I will just use the stable version of Eddie on Google Play Store and what for the latest update to arrive.

5 minutes ago, Alexei Sator said:
Hello! I am using my phones default antivirus app sadly I can't uninstall it since it is one of the default apps on my phone. For now I will just use the stable version of Eddie on Google Play Store and what for the latest update to arrive.
my antivirus is based on Avast.

21 hours ago, Staff said:

Hello!

We have not received it, can you please check and re-send? Remember to open a ticket and send us the link or the code to the report.

Kind regards

hello! i have just sent in a ticket with the link.

after my last test there was two SO updates, today I deed a fresh reinstall of Eddie and it seems to work well,
after more then an hour no disconnection
in Settings I select No local network
notification sound works at phone start
log send
edit: it disconnect again...

Anyone else unable to download the file? I've tried several browsers on mobile and curl in termux.  It worked when I downloaded from PC.. 

Hello!

I too am having issues with Wireguard disconnecting and am keen to provide a log, however, I have a few suggestions regarding the log functionality itself, and wanted to make some suggestions

1: Scroll to newest - annoyingly, the log always starts at the top, meaning newest events require a loooooot of scrolling. This is annoying. Ideally the log would be filterable - by newest, 24 hours, 48 hours, all etc, and by event type (debug, errors etc). This helps reduce the noise the log generates.

2: 'One tap upload': The log does contain (possible) identifiable information which (for me) I'd prefer to scrub. The one tap solution to upload a log doesn't give the user a chance to see exactly _what_ information is being sent over the wire, it'd be great to have a preview before the data is sent.

I think improving the log system would go a long way to providing more useful error reports, as it would allow me (and others) to quickly identify the source of the issue.

5 hours ago, airvpnforumuser said:

2: 'One tap upload': The log does contain (possible) identifiable information which (for me) I'd prefer to scrub. The one tap solution to upload a log doesn't give the user a chance to see exactly _what_ information is being sent over the wire, it'd be great to have a preview before the data is sent.

I think improving the log system would go a long way to providing more useful error reports, as it would allow me (and others) to quickly identify the source of the issue.

Hello!

Thank you very much for your feedback and suggestions, they will be taken into due consideration for sure, especially to delete a specific information: the log you send may contain (if the country setting is unset) your real IP address in the logging moment, an information which normally would be visible only during an active connection and only to the core AirVPN management members if they perform very specific search inside the VPN server (other developers can't see it), while in this case it would become available to Eddie Android development team as well. Once you have uploaded the report, the data retention in eddie.website is 30 days, OR you can delete anytime the log by yourself.  The log is first visible only to the support team (not outsourced) so the support team can edit it before sending it to the development team. We will seriously consider to include the automatic deletion of such info in Eddie 3.0 beta 2 (which will also contain a fix for the bug you and other testers have reported).

Kind regards

beta 3 on openvpn mode
while I get notification sound on startup, it doesn't plays on going to screen off or resuming from screen off like it use to do on eddie 2.5
is it intended?

Hello!

We're very glad to inform you that Eddie Android edition 3.0 Beta 2 is now available. The original post has been updated accordingly.

New in Beta 2:

• detected client's IP address not written in local log anymore
  • WireGuard error streams management rewrite (*)
  • dark theme heading color change
(*) fixing reported bug according to internal tests, please check

Find full description, download link and SHA256 signature in the first post of this very thread.

Thank you very much for your tests and please report and describe any bug you find!

Kind regards

19 hours ago, harold.lewis said:

beta 3 on openvpn mode
while I get notification sound on startup, it doesn't plays on going to screen off or resuming from screen off like it use to do on eddie 2.5
is it intended?

Hello!

Yes, it is an intended change following several users request.

Kind regards

Unfortunately I still get the disconnect issue using wireguard with the new beta update, I've opened a ticket...

@VPN3rd

Hello!

In your case that's an expected behavior because VPN Lock option is enabled. Since you have Android 12 you can safely disable VPN Lock and enable "Always on VPN" and "Block traffic if VPN is inactive" in order to have traffic leaks prevention and, at the same time, let Eddie re-connect when necessary. Also make sure that in Settings > VPN view, the VPN reconnection item is on (you currently have it off, another reason for which Eddie will not re-connect).

@harold.lewis

In your case the missing reconnection attempt is expected because you have disabled VPN reconnection option too (see the note above to VPN3rd). The unexpected occurrence is that Eddie is frozen: how is it frozen? You mention that you can unfreeze it by connecting manually, do you mean that some functions are unresponsive, while other ones are working fine? Can you elaborate?

Thanks a lot to you both for your relentless testing!

Kind regards

hmm, sorry, probably I disable by mistake and didn't check anymore, now is enabled again...
when it disconnect, the connection button is grayed out and does not respond on tapping and no button log is available, to reconnect again I have to go to Server and tap one server there then is reconnecting and I can access the logs...

@Staff  

The problem with that setup is that I have about 4-5 apps that I need to exclude from the VPN because they block it. With androids always on setting and block connections without VPN setting enabled those apps will no longer work outside of it.. Any solution? Thanks in advance.

11 hours ago, VPN3rd said:
@Staff  

The problem with that setup is that I have about 4-5 apps that I need to exclude from the VPN because they block it. With androids always on setting and block connections without VPN setting enabled those apps will no longer work outside of it.. Any solution? Thanks in advance.

Hello!

In this case unfortunately you can't have robust leaks protection, trivially because you explicitly need traffic outside the VPN tunnel. You may consider to re-enable VPN re-connection in Eddie settings and disable VPN lock. Any other app may also leak traffic when an unexpected disconnection occurs, but Eddie will reconnect quickly, so the system and the "excluded" apps might not have the time to close the previous socket (which will have a several seconds timeout) and open a new one outside the tunnel: the re-connection, once a network is again available, is often faster.

This is a serious traffic splitting on an apps basis byproduct, when you want auto re-connection, which could be resolved only through more advanced techniques (multiple routing tables and/or cgroups) which are totally out of reach for Android apps not running with root privileges.

Probably,  when traffic leak prevention is an absolute must, you should either renounce to traffic splitting, or keep VPN Lock enabled and give yourself in to manual re-connections, according to the old saying "you can't have your cake and eat it too". Evaluate therefore your threat model and the consequences of a potential, although short lived, traffic leak.

Kind regards