Not connected, Your IP: 44.192.107.255
Staff

Eddie Android edition 3.0 preview available

Hello!

We're very glad to inform you that Eddie Android edition 3.0 preview is now available.

UPDATE 2022-07-08: Eddie Android edition 3.0 Alpha 2 is now available.
UPDATE 2022-07-28: Eddie Android edition 3.0 Alpha 3 is now available.
UPDATE 2022-09-02: Eddie Android edition 3.0 Beta 1 is now available.
UPDATE 2022-09-12: Eddie Android edition 3.0 Beta 2 is now available.
UPDATE 2022-10-14: Eddie Android edition 3.0 Beta 3 is now available.
UPDATE 2022-11-04: Eddie Android edition 3.0 Beta 4 is now available.
UPDATE 2022-11-14: Eddie Android edition 3.0 Release Candidate 1 is now available
UPDATE 2022-12-01: Eddie Android edition 3.0 has been released

Eddie 3.0 preview features WireGuard full integration with AirVPN, a thorough improvement on network management to provide additional robustness on network switching and re-connections, an exclusive option to access local network even when connecting over WireGuard and a dark theme.

According to our tests, on most Android devices, when compared with OpenVPN3-AirVPN library or OpenVPN3 and on agnostic networks, performance is remarkably higher and battery life is approximately 15-20% longer, even when the throughput is slightly higher.

You can download Eddie Android 3.0 RC 1 APK directly from our repository or from the Google Play Store:

https://airvpn.org/forums/topic/29660-using-airvpn-with-eddie-client-for-android/

Please note that Eddie 3.0 is not yet available on the Amazon Store. It should be updated in a few business days.

To those who will decide testing: thank you so much! Please report any bug and problem in this thread. If possible generate a report from the app. You will find a new feature: by tapping the arrow icon on the Log view bar rightmost side you will generate a full system report which will include both log and logcat and have it sent to our servers. Then you just need to send us the link the app shows you (open a ticket if you prefer to do it in private).

Important: if you run Android 8 or higher version, we strongly recommend that you activate Always on VPN and Block connection without VPN (aka VPN Lockdown) from Android advanced per app VPN settings That's the most secure method to prevent traffic leaks in various circumstances. If you run Android 7 or older versions and you set Eddie to connect through WireGuard, a best effort is made to prevent leaks, but it may not be as effective as Android 8 and higher versions mentioned settings.

Finally, keep in mind that Android TV suffered the Always On VPN feature amputation, therefore Eddie start & connection at bootstrap are not possible from Android TV 10 and higher versions. Older versions can still run Eddie during the bootstrap and have it connected. Furthermore, a totally effective leaks prevention is hindered when you use WireGuard on Android TV, although Eddie will always perform a best effort to prevent them.

Main features (new features in bold):

• Free and open source WireGuard and OpenVPN GUI based on latest OpenVPN3-AirVPN library (free and open source software library by AirVPN) and official WireGuard native library
  • full WireGuard integration with AirVPN
  • improved network change management
  • optional access to local network even when connecting over WireGuard (local network tunneling exemption)
  • dark theme
  • revamped quick connection algorithm
  • one-tap pre-connection switch from WireGuard to OpenVPN 3 and vice-versa
  • easy system report (log and logcat) one-tap generation and delivery to our servers
  • ability to connect to any service via WireGuard and OpenVPN profiles
  • OpenVPN3-AirVPN 3.8.2 library inked against OpenSSL 1.1.1r
  • Full compatibility up to Android 13
  • Full compatibility with Android TV 10, 11 and 12
  • ChaCha20-Poly1305 and AES-GCM support on both OpenVPN Control and Data channel
  • Robust, best effort prevention of traffic leaks outside the VPN tunnel with OpenVPN
  • Totally effective prevention of traffic leaks outside the VPN tunnel with WireGuard and OpenVPN on Android 8 and higher versions
  • Battery-conscious application
  • Low RAM footprint
  • Ergonomic and friendly interface
  • Ability to start and connect the application at device boot
  • Option to define which apps must have traffic inside or outside the VPN tunnel through white and black list
  • Localization in simplified and traditional Chinese, Danish, Dutch, English, French, German, Italian, Portuguese, Russian, Spanish, Turkish
  • Full integration with AirVPN
  • Enhanced security thanks to locally stored encrypted data through optional master password
  • Quick one-tap connection and smart, fully automated server selection
  • Smart server selection with custom settings
  • Manual server selection
  • Ability to start and connect during device startup according to a priority list which includes automatic choice, your defined country and your defined AirVPN server
  • Smart attempts to bypass OpenVPN blocks featuring protocol and server fail-over
  • Full Android TV compatibility including D-Pad support. Mouse emulation is not required.
  • Enhancements aimed at increasing accessibility and comfort to visually impaired persons
  • AirVPN servers sorting options
  • Customizable "Default", "Favorite" and "Forbidden" servers and countries
  • OpenVPN/WireGuard mimetype support to import profiles from external applications
  • Multiple OpenVPN/WireGuard profile support and management
  • Support for custom bootstrap servers
  • Support for favorite and forbidden countries
  • AirVPN broadcast messages support
  • User's subscription expiration date is shown in login/connection information
  • The app is aware of concurrent VPN use. in case another app is granted VPN access Eddie acts accordingly and releases VPN resources
  • Optional local networks access. In such a case, local network devices are exempted from the VPN and can be accessed within the local devices
  • Localization override. User can choose the default language and localization within the app and have them changed live (no need to re-start the app)
  • Favorite and forbidden lists can be emptied with a single tap
  • Ability to directly select an AirVPN area (country, continent, planet) to connect to
  • VPN re-connection after unexpected disconnection (VPN Lock must be disabled)
  • VPN concurrency management
  • Full integration with VPN traffic leaks prevention by system in Android 7 or higher version
  • User can generate or save a profile for any AirVPN server or country and save it in the internal OpenVPN/WireGuard profile manager or export it
  • On the fly language change allowing to switch language without re-starting application
  • Exclusive optional VPN lock in case the device cannot take advantage of Android's VPN direct management (Android 5 and 6)
  • Server scoring algorithm implementing the latest AirVPN balancing factors in order to determine the best server for quick connection
  • Network name and extra information are shown along with network type Device network status management
  • Fully compatible with Android TV 5.1 and higher versions
  • bug fixes and general architectural improvements

Kind regards & datalove
AirVPN Staff

11 hours ago, mith_y2k said:

Can you comment on fire tv so and if where we can find the settings to prevent leaks? 

Hello!

Fire OS is based on Android and features slim differences from Android TV. Lack of Always on VPN option is common. You can therefore enable "VPN Lock" in Eddie settings and use OpenVPN to have a robust leaks prevention. In this way when a connection is lost the device will not communicate with the Internet and you have all the time to stop apps and then re-start the connection manually.

A second option: you may enable automatic re.-connection and even use WireGuard. If a connection is lost WireGuard will keep the device locked for a while, and then Eddie will re-connect as soon as possible. WireGuard connections are very fast but anyway during the re-connection phase leaks are possible.

Kind regards

Posted ... (edited)

I tried Eddie release 3 alpha with the Wireguard configuration on google TV (android TV 10), and it works properly the first time the app is installed but if I reboot the TV and re-establish the VPN tunnel,  the traffic is no longer routed through the tunnel, although Eddie says I am connected. To get it to work again I need to uninstall and reinstall the app.

if I use Eddie 3 but with the OpenVPN configuration, I don't have the issue mentioned above, it continues to work after a reboot.

The reason I tried Eddie release 3 with WireGuard was to try to resolve a long standing issue with accessing my local network servers when the VPN is activated,  I could never get it to work properly even though the local network option is activated and I can see the exclude Routes 192.168.1.0/24 is set properly in the log,

I also tried to install the standalone Wireguard android app using the exported Wireguard config file from Eddie. The app is very basic but it works, the traffic is routed properly every time even after a reboot, but I still don't have access to my local network. I even tried to update the AllowedIPs setting in the wireguard config file using the Wireguard IP calculator bellow but no luck, the settings is ignored by the app.
https://www.procustodibus.com/blog/2021/03/wireguard-allowedips-calculator/

Edited ... by delta313
additionnal info

@delta313

Thank you very much for your tests! Where can we find the report generated just after the problem has occurred? You will find a new feature: by tapping the arrow icon on the Log view bar rightmost side you will generate a full system report which will include both log and logcat and have it sent to our servers. Then you just need to send us the link the app will show you (open a ticket if you prefer to do it in private).

Kind regards

I did further test and finally the issue is not due to the reboot, but a setting I was activating after the reboot, which is "Exclude local network from the VPN".

as soon as this option is activated, the traffic will not go through the VPN Tunnel anymore

On 6/17/2022 at 6:09 PM, Staff said:

Hello!

We're very glad to inform you that Eddie Android edition 3.0 Alpha 1 is now available.

This early alpha version features WireGuard full integration with AirVPN. According to our tests, on most Android devices, when compared with

the only issue I found is that when using the DuckDuckGo search engine it doesn't work when connected to the Wireguard tunnel. Switching search engines fixes the issue.

my observations are similar to other memebers here. certain apps and services and websites wont connect with wireguard. changing to openvpn works.

26 minutes ago, mamegoma said:

my observations are similar to other memebers here. certain apps and services and websites wont connect with wireguard. changing to openvpn works.

Hello!

It might have been related to a DNS issue on the server side which we should have resolved a few hours ago. Can you please repeat the tests? Should you find any problem again, please report the VPN server name(s), the domain names whose resolution fails, and the names of the 'problematic' apps.

Kind regards

6 hours ago, Staff said:

Hello!

It might have been related to a DNS issue on the server side which we should have resolved a few hours ago. Can you please repeat the tests? Should you find any problem again, please report the VPN server name(s), the domain names whose resolution fails, and the names of the 'problematic' apps.

Kind regards

Hi, the apps i experienced issues with are LAZADA and Signal as well as tutanota and protonmail. Im not exactly sure how to get the domain name for the services. The servers which I noticed issues are Antares, Lacaille, Struve, Taphao, Bharani, Biham, Fleed, Okab and Albaldah which are the servers I regularly use. 

On 6/20/2022 at 1:31 AM, delta313 said:

I did further test and finally the issue is not due to the reboot, but a setting I was activating after the reboot, which is "Exclude local network from the VPN".

as soon as this option is activated, the traffic will not go through the VPN Tunnel anymore

Hello!

Problem acknowledged.  It's a feature unsupported by WireGuard (you will see that the wg app never allows communications with the private network, unless you compile a complex profile, see also https://www.procustodibus.com/blog/2021/03/wireguard-allowedips-calculator/ ) and we see that Eddie needs a different implementation. At the moment do NOT activate Exclude local network from the VPN with WireGuard, as it may cause total traffic leak if "Always on VPN" + "Block traffic if VPN is inactive" options are not enabled (options not available in Android TV). We will consider the possibility to implement a properly working option, which is not trivial, during the alpha or beta testing.

Kind regards

8 hours ago, mamegoma said:
15 hours ago, Staff said:

Hi, the apps i experienced issues with are LAZADA and Signal as well as tutanota and protonmail. Im not exactly sure how to get the domain name for the services. The servers which I noticed issues are Antares, Lacaille, Struve, Taphao, Bharani, Biham, Fleed, Okab and Albaldah which are the servers I regularly use. 

Hello!

Thank you for the information. At the moment we tested only ProtonMail and it works, but now that we have a server list we will perform additional test, even with those other apps you mention. In the meantime, can you please tell us whether, from the same VPN server, those apps:
  • work or not when you switch connection to OpenVPN3-AirVPN (to do so just tap the "OpenVPN/WireGuard" switch on Eddie's connection views and make sure that it's set to OpenVPN, then start a new connection)
  • work or not when you connect through the wg app available on the Play Store

Kind regards

16 hours ago, Staff said:

Hello!

Thank you for the information. At the moment we tested only ProtonMail and it works, but now that we have a server list we will perform additional test, even with those other apps you mention. In the meantime, can you please tell us whether, from the same VPN server, those apps:
  • work or not when you switch connection to OpenVPN3-AirVPN (to do so just tap the "OpenVPN/WireGuard" switch on Eddie's connection views and make sure that it's set to OpenVPN, then start a new connection)
  • work or not when you connect through the wg app available on the Play Store

Kind regards

Thanks for the reply. I have generated the wireguard config and verified that it does work. OpenVPN on eddie works as well. In this case, would the issue be the wireguard implementation on eddie?

@mamegoma
@183aTr78f9o

Thank you very much!
  1. Yes, your tests outcome hints to a specific problem in Eddie WireGuard implementation. Eddie calls the native WireGuard library. Thank you for the thorough description and for having found out and reported the problem. We still have some unexplained and puzzling data set (for example, ProtonMail app works in our tests when Eddie is connected through WireGuard), and the problem investigation will take high priority.
  2. WireGuard original app needs simple configuration file names since it wants to create a network interface with the same name, which is impossible (not only on Android, but in in general in every system) due to system limitations which don't allow network interfaces to have complex long names. Eddie takes care of the matter while WireGuard app doesn't.

Kind regards

@mamegoma
@183aTr78f9o

Hello!

We suspect that the problem is caused by a virtual network interface too large MTU size for your network/devices. Our tests with different MTU sizes are meaningful but not conclusive. While WireGuard application forces it to 1280 bytes, Eddie lets the Android VPNService builder set the Operating System default. Please open "Settings" > "Advanced" > "MTU", set it to 1280 bytes, re-start a connection and check whether the problems get resolved or not (please test various servers). Please report back at your convenience, thank you!

Kind regards

14 hours ago, Staff said:
@mamegoma
@183aTr78f9o

Hello!

We suspect that the problem is caused by a virtual network interface too large MTU size for your network/devices. Our tests with different MTU sizes are meaningful but not conclusive. While WireGuard application forces it to 1280 bytes, Eddie lets the Android VPNService builder set the Operating System default. Please open "Settings" > "System" > "MTU", set it to 1280 bytes, re-start a connection and check whether the problems get resolved or not (please test various servers). Please report back at your convenience, thank you!

Kind regards

thank you! looks like i can access those apps and services now!

58 minutes ago, 183aTr78f9o said:
@Staff
  • Eddie no longer connects automatically at boot
  • Eddie doesn't reconnect when the screen is off after a while.
I do have "Pause VPN when the screen is off" enabled in Eddie settings as well as  "Always ON VPN" and "Block connections without VPN" enabled in Android settings.

Removing the custom MTU value fixes the issues.

Hopefully someone can reproduce.

Hello!

WireGuard doesn't support pausing & resuming, as specified in the option, but that must not prevent a re-connection if you get a disconnection while the device sleeps, provided that VPN Lock is disabled (please check). We struggle to reproduce the quoted issues, can you please send us links to your log and logcat, pertaining to both problems?

Kind regards

Hi, I do notice some other bugs. After setting the MTU, I seem to be getting some issues whereby on disconnect due to network change, Eddie does not automatically connect back. Unlike the other member, I only set "VPN reconnection". I did not use "VPN always on and block connection without VPN" Removing the MTU seems to solve this issue. However, one issue also arise. When Eddie is connected to one of the servers, when changing from wifi to mobile data, Eddie will disconnect and it will not reconnect back. I have uploaded the log via the app. https://eddie.website/report/d0f694af/

11 hours ago, udontexist said:

Clicking the download link does not work. Nothing is downloaded. 

Hello!

It is probably a problem on your side because the URL is valid and the download starts correctly. Several testers are already running the app and they downloaded it properly. Please feel free to open a ticket. Do not forget to specify your Operating System and browser,.

Kind regards

1 hour ago, 183aTr78f9o said:
@mamegoma
Same here, I did further tests and that's what I meant to explain in my previous message. I also noticed that when using mobile data / WireGuard and custom MTU value, Eddie won't reconnect after a while when screen is off, without any network change.
Will get logs later. Removing MTU value solves the issue too.

Hello!

Not reproducible on our devices at the moment, we'll keep testing. On your side, if possible, please try a slightly higher MTU size. Replace it through 40 bytes steps for example (1280, 1320, 1360, 1400). Stop when the original problem re-appears and go back to the previous value, which would be plausibly close to the best compromise between performance and normal functioning. Report back at your convenience.

Kind regards

Hello!

We're very glad to inform you that Eddie Android edition 3.0 alpha 2 is now available. The original post has been updated accordingly. New in Alpha 2:

• WireGuard default MTU size set to 1320 bytes
  • log bug fixes
  • OpenVPN3-AirVPN library update
  • log and profile export compliance with Android 11+ security
  • various bug fixes

Find full description, download link and SHA256 signature in the first post of this very thread.

Thank you very much for your tests and please report and describe any bug you find!

Kind regards

1 hour ago, Maggie144 said:

will give this new version a go.

Is dark mode still on track for v3.0?

Hello and thank you for your tests!

Yes, definitely, a dark theme will be implemented just before or just after we reach the beta stage.

Kind regards