Not connected, Your IP: 3.227.229.194

I am seeing very slow DNS resolution on Lich (US) while Haedus and Iklil are solid and quick. I am using Wireguard in Eddie 2.21.6. The server page for Lich shows nothing amiss so not sure.

I am also facing these slow DNS resolutions at the servers in Germany (currently Mirfak). I was using IPv4+6 with Eddie (2.21.8) and thought at first, that the resolution over v6 was slow, but now I noticed v4 is also taking ages to resolve the hosts.
The issue persists like a couple of days or so.
I think I am going to issue a ticket in the control panel, because there was no change at my end at all.

I can confirm slow DNS responses as well. Various EU servers have this issue (DE, AT, CZ, BE, NL).
It's especially noticeable when you open for instance ipleak.net - DNS address detection takes ages to finish. From what I see on my end both OpenVPN and WireGuard connections suffer from this.

Posted ... (edited)

Also noticing this on Iklil today where sometimes DNS just hangs and at other times is quick. On IPv4 + 6 as well. 

Some domains i've tried that were slow:
outlook.com
dawn.com

Also noticied ipleak.net DNS leak test report 50+ failures intermittently. I noticed the intermittent slowdown is just this handshake needing to happen again? Can this be increased on our side to handshake more often or increase the timeout / this issue on the server? 

image.png

Edited ... by rezamalik

Dudes and Dudettes,

Last week or so, been going frantic trying to figure out why when I launch my browser, why are my set tabs taking ages to load?
Laptop and on PC. Assumed it was Firefox, then tried other browsers and same thing. Occasionally runs fast and smooth and then hangs again. But upon launch, always slow at loading tabs.
Was using servers: Asterion, Alshain.

Long story short, tried a different server today: Naos.
Upon launching FF or Brave, all tabs load as fast as before.

Why I don't understand it...

1. Speed test suggested I am getting same speeds as I usually get.
  2. Latency wasn't high on the particular servers.
  3. Server loads weren't higher than usual, either.
  4. Ping tests were all under 20ms.

I am using Eddie 2.20.0 and assumed initially it may have had something to do with that, but obviously not as server Naos is running perfectly even with higher loads on that server. 
I like the Asterion/Alshain servers and have been with those particular servers (IP addresses) for awhile and some of my financial accounts are linked to those servers, so I'm hesitant to wanna change.

Could it be the implementation of Wireguard? But I'm assuming Wireguard is on all Air servers, if so, can't be that.
Since it's been a couple of weeks with that issue, I would have assumed if it was a server issue, it would have been fixed by now.

Can anyone shed some light as to why Naos is loading everything faster than Asterion when all tests done on both servers show similar healthy results?

Danke

Is that me ol' cock Giga? Changed names? 😁
Yeah, man. Sounds familiar. You can merge topics, if possible. Didn't see that post. My bad.
Have you heard anything about this issue or are we any close to a resolution?
Don't wanna open a ticket if it can be helped. Or if we just have to wait a wee bit.

9 minutes ago, scooby0786 said:

Is that me ol' cock Giga? Changed names? 😁

Me ol' cock Giga? What the hell am I supposed to answer to that? :D
Yes, it's me. Changed the name some time ago. I'm quite fine, thank you for asking. :D
10 minutes ago, scooby0786 said:

Yeah, man. Sounds familiar. You can merge topics, if possible. Didn't see that post. My bad.

Done.

One common thing: All servers you reported are M247. I invite you to try non-M247 servers like Mesarthim (DE) or Arkhab (CA). You can check servers by entering servername.airvpn.org into sites like ip-api.com or other IP APIs you find on the internet. Look for the AS number 9009 or organization/ISP name M247 in their outputs and avoid those servers, for example:

$ ip-api naos.airvpn.org
{
"status" : "success",
"continent" : "Europe",
"continentCode": "EU",
"country" : "United Kingdom",
"countryCode" : "GB",
"region" : "ENG",
"regionName" : "England",
"city" : "Manchester",
"district" : "",
"zip" : "",
"lat" : 53.4807,
"lon" : -2.2426,
"timezone" : "Europe/London",
"offset" : 3600,
"currency" : "GBP",
"isp" : "M247 Ltd International IP Network",
"org" : "AirVPN.org entry server (Naos)",
"as" : "AS9009 M247 Ltd",
"asname" : "M247",
"mobile" : false,
"proxy" : true,
"hosting" : true,
"query" : "84.39.117.56"
}

NOT AN AIRVPN TEAM MEMBER. USE TICKETS FOR PROFESSIONAL SUPPORT.

LZ1's New User Guide to AirVPN « Plenty of stuff for advanced users, too!

Want to contact me directly? All relevant methods are on my About me page.

Colloquial Yorkshire terms. No offence intended in them...😋
Glad to hear you're ticking along nicely.

Didn't realise Naos was also M247, but that runs perfectly and it's quite responsive. So can't say it's all M247 servers, as other users are reporting issues from other EU countries that I'm assuming are not M247.
I just like those servers as my banking and crypto sites registers my devices according to IP.
Didn't want to register all my accounts/devices over something that may be a short-term blip. Using EU servers means none English results with my browser settings. And none local results. Well, unless I type more to get the desired results.
You may recall from our URL string topic that I like to type less. 😁

I may still consider what you suggested, if things get desperate.
Just odd that it's happening randomly to some servers, even though those servers are registering really high speeds during tests.
Hopefully these response times get fixed soon. If anyone has logged a ticket, please share what the Staff suggested or if a investigation/fix will be in place. Otherwise may open a ticket myself in a few weeks.

As always, thanks for always being there, bud. 😉

1 hour ago, scooby0786 said:

So can't say it's all M247 servers, as other users are reporting issues from other EU countries that I'm assuming are not M247.

We're finding ourselves in a wonderland full of affected M247 servers. I checked the names mentioned here. :D

1 hour ago, scooby0786 said:

Just odd that it's happening randomly to some servers, even though those servers are registering really high speeds during tests.

Can't put a finger on a cause, I'm afraid.

NOT AN AIRVPN TEAM MEMBER. USE TICKETS FOR PROFESSIONAL SUPPORT.

LZ1's New User Guide to AirVPN « Plenty of stuff for advanced users, too!

Want to contact me directly? All relevant methods are on my About me page.

Interesting. I have noticed hesitant dns response and failures to resolve DNS this month. This never used to happen.
F5 to reload the web page usually sorts it but it is annoying. On a separate thread I had started to wonder if DNS might be the reason for poor latency results.
To be clear, ping tests are normal but the latency column in the Eddie client reports very high response times.
If the ping is to named servers rather than IP addresses, this might account for the difference.
The issue is experienced on more than one Linux machine.
Link to post: https://airvpn.org/forums/topic/50561-eddie-desktop-edition-2216-released/page/4/?tab=comments#comment-182978
Perhaps I could change Eddie client to try some alternative DNS servers as back up to AirVPN. https://proprivacy.com/guides/dns-services
Added DNS service and left AirVPN DNS checkbox enabled. Stopped and started VPN connection.
Browser performance seemed better but no change to latency figures.
Disabled AirVPN DNS. No change to latency figures. :think:

15 hours ago, OpenSourcerer said:

We're finding ourselves in a wonderland full of affected M247 servers. I checked the names mentioned here. :D

Oh, the game's afoot. Assumed M247 servers were just UK based. Wonder if EclecticFish can confirm his servers are M247, too.
Deductions, my dear Watson. Deductions.
Good find.
Well done, chap. 😁
15 hours ago, OpenSourcerer said:

Can't put a finger on a cause, I'm afraid.

Shame, shame. ☹️
If you find anything out from staff, etc, please keep us informed here.
I'll keep an eye on this topic for updates.

Would be prudent to try and avoid M247 servers for now.

Danke

20 hours ago, scooby0786 said:

Oh, the game's afoot. Assumed M247 servers were just UK based. Wonder if EclecticFish can confirm his servers are M247, too.
No, not often using those, so can't pin it on that. Haven't noticed these issues with a machine running 2.20.0

Hello again,

since the thread moved on and more users seem to have these issues with DNS, I would like to know if anybody else with the DNS issue has the following phenomenon:

With VPN enabled and Eddie doing all DNS things, I get this first error message, when trying to resolve a hostname with the AirVPN DNS (10.128.0.1):

>nslookup genius.com 10.128.0.1
DNS request timed out.
    timeout was 2 seconds.
Server:  UnKnown
Address:  10.128.0.1

Nicht autorisierende Antwort:
Name:    genius.com
Addresses:  2606:4700::6812:1260
          2606:4700::6812:1360

Using another DNS Server by giving it explicit to the command, there is no error at all:
>nslookup genius.com 1.1.1.1
Server:  one.one.one.one
Address:  1.1.1.1

Very curious about if anyone else can reproduce the exact same thing. 🤔

I experience the same issue with periodically very slow and unstable DNS performance. It's a horrible experience. Tested a lot, but found it only to be linked to sending DNS-queries via the VPN.

Has anyone opened a ticket with Support, so that this issue can be resolved?

Hello!

We have just noticed the problem (what a pity that nobody opened a ticket about it). We managed to reproduce it on various servers from a variety of non-M247 datacenters. It is therefore unrelated to M247 servers. Moreover the fact that, according to our tests so far, the problem takes place only with WireGuard and not with OpenVPN rules definitely out some M247 specific problem and makes us focus on WireGuard. We will keep investigating.

Kind regards

1 hour ago, Staff said:

Moreover the fact that, according to our tests so far, the problem takes place only with WireGuard and not with OpenVPN rules definitely out some M247 specific problem and makes us focus on WireGuard.

I just discovered this thread and I'm glad to hear that this issue is being investigated. However, I'm a bit confused by this comment about WireGuard and OpenVPN. I am using Ubuntu Mate 22.04 and have always connected with OpenVPN. I just opened my settings to confirm that it is using OpenVPN, not wireguard, yet I am also experiencing slow DNS issues while connected to AirVPN servers.

38 minutes ago, AirProxin said:

I just discovered this thread and I'm glad to hear that this issue is being investigated. However, I'm a bit confused by this comment about WireGuard and OpenVPN. I am using Ubuntu Mate 22.04 and have always connected with OpenVPN. I just opened my settings to confirm that it is using OpenVPN, not wireguard, yet I am also experiencing slow DNS issues while connected to AirVPN servers.

Hello!

Thank you, good to know. Can you write down the list of servers you have the issue with OpenVPN? We can't reproduce it with OpenVPN.

Kind regards

55 minutes ago, Staff said:

Can you write down the list of servers you have the issue with OpenVPN? We can't reproduce it with OpenVPN

I'm also using exclusively OpenVPN connection. Here are few DE servers affected by extremely slow DNS responses: Adhara, Alsephina, Dubhe.
On the other hand Cujam and Cervantes work as it should (if it somehow will help to pinpoint this bug)

@seebarschtian - Thanks for raising the ticket. I ran both tests on two machines, one of which had experienced some hesitance earlier. Both tests passed on both machines with no errors.
@Staff - Thanks for working on this. Achernar DNS resolution issues early Monday afternoon but okay later.

Update - Tuesday morning. DNS tests okay. No immediate lag in browsing. Reported latency errors persist, so maybe they are not DNS related?

Top ten servers for best latency as reported by Eddie 2.21.8
image.png.2d6b601a78dc92c5b1a10ec08cb2297e.png

Bottom ten:
image.png.ee034f889416ee1285aac0d627ad6034.png

12 hours ago, EclecticFish said:

@Staff - Thanks for working on this. Achernar DNS resolution issues early Monday afternoon but okay later.

Update - Tuesday morning. DNS tests okay. No immediate lag in browsing. Reported latency errors persist, so maybe they are not DNS related?

Hello!

Thank you. We confirm that Eddie round trip times wrong values can not be related to VPN DNS. To perform the tests the system must be outside the VPN and therefore you can't use VPN DNS. Furthermore, Eddie needn't resolve names to perform the tests. You can therefore keep this issue on its own topic (already existing, we see) and split from this one.

Kind regards

18 hours ago, Staff said:

Thank you!

I can confirm, that by todays test, the DNS resolution works with minimal latency in resolving the hostnames.
Even the weird nslookup response got away:
>nslookup genius.com
Address:  fd7d:76ee:e68f:a993::1

Addresses:  2606:4700::6812:1360
          2606:4700::6812:1260

>nslookup genius.com 10.128.0.1
Address:  10.128.0.1

@Staff Thank you very much for solving the problem.