Not connected, Your IP: 3.128.206.68
Sign in to follow this  
airvpndn

After a power cycle, airvpn can block internet on next power up; linux

Moderate bug.
On both Ubuntu 22.04 and 20.04, the following occurs.
If I connect to VPN using Eddie, and then power the computer down without disconnecting from the VPN first, when I restart the computer I'm blocked from the internet.
To fix, I have to start Eddie and connect to VPN to be able to access the internet. Then, everything works as expected.

-Thanks

Hello!

It's unfortunately expected because Eddie doesn't handle Linux or desktop signals for a poweroff/reboot, therefore it will not restore system settings. At the next boot, a common occurrence is that your system still has VPN DNS set (if no DHCP occurred), not accessible from outside the VPN.

Anyway, Eddie stores the settings in a backup file for additional security. By re-running Eddie and shutting it down from inside the graphical interface menu you should get the previous settings restored, otherwise you will need to manually set the proper DNS.

In general, to circumvent this limitation shut down Eddie from inside the GUI itself before you shut down the system.

Kind regards

Thanks, and understood.
Is there a command-line command that does the same thing as GUI "disconnect" button?
I looked at the eddie-ui man pages but didn't see anything.

Thanks.

3 hours ago, airvpndn said:

Thanks, and understood.
Is there a command-line command that does the same thing as GUI "disconnect" button?
I looked at the eddie-ui man pages but didn't see anything.

Thanks.

Hello!

If you need to shut down Eddie you can send it a SIGTERM. However, if you want it to disconnect only (for example because Network Lock must stay), no command is at the moment available, we're sorry: when Eddie CLI receives a SIGTERM it shuts down, so Network Lock will be lifted.

If that's not what you want, you can check Bluetit and drive it through Goldcrest. They are in the AirVPN Suite package (Bluetit is a daemon, while Goldcrest is a command line client through which you can control the daemon interactively).. They meet your mentioned needs, i.e. correct shutdown when system is powered off or rebooted, and you can stop a connection from a terminal without lifting Network Lock if necessary. If you don't need a GUI the Suite is definitely something you should consider. See also:
https://airvpn.org/suite/readme/

Kind regards