Not connected, Your IP: 3.136.154.103
Terry Stanford

Phone hotspot via VPN - should that put laptop traffic through?

Just wondering. I was an AirVPN user for many years until finally having to move away due to instability of Eddie on Mac OSX (Mojave). I have wanted to come back for a long time and since I am now moving to Linux (F*ck Apple) I am hoping to do that soon :)

I have a question though, if I use the android app and set up a hotspot on my phone for my laptop, will my laptop be going through the VPN?
I am using another VPN at the moment and I tried it, my web browser IP address showed as my cellular network provider's IP address, NOT the VPN i was connected to via the phone. Glad I checked, that concerned me! Is that normal, or would Eddie work to push my laptop data through the VPN on the hotspot phone?
thanks

Assuming you are using Android.
Well I think this is some advanced Android/Unix iptables and network magic working in the background. It seems that it is not intended to share a VPN connection via the hotspot function.
There may be a way for a rooted device to edit the routing-/iptables sothat the hotspot network will use the VPN connection as gateway.

Sorry, yes Android. I see, so it's the android OS which prevents using the VPN connection and not specific to the VPN service in question. Makes sense. Yet more of my beloved Google "protecting me" I am sure! thanks

10 hours ago, Seebarschtian said:

Well I think this is some advanced Android/Unix iptables and network magic working in the background. It seems that it is not intended to share a VPN connection via the hotspot function.

Not entirely true, but the feature's availability does depend on the ROM used. Official LineageOS builds support this starting from around version 16-17 (Android 9-10) (Connection > Hotspot and Tethering > Allow clients to use VPN). Inofficial LineageOS builds from XDA or 4PDA and stock/original ROMs from the manufacturers are a tedious hit and miss, but maybe it's more or less widely implemented with Android 11 or 12, who knows.

NOT AN AIRVPN TEAM MEMBER. USE TICKETS FOR PROFESSIONAL SUPPORT.

LZ1's New User Guide to AirVPN « Plenty of stuff for advanced users, too!

Want to contact me directly? All relevant methods are on my About me page.