Not connected, Your IP: 52.15.63.145
Staff

Eddie Desktop Edition 2.21.6 released

We released a new experimental version, mainly to fix some "Checking route IPv4" failure related to network adapter not active when Eddie starts.
Other issues still under investigation.

Version 2.22.0 (Mon, 13 Jun 2022 09:01:26 +0000)

• [bugfix] [all] detection of network information when needed, not only at start
  • [change] [linux] libcurl, avoid need of curl binary
  • [bugfix] [linux/windows] font issues

On 6/14/2022 at 4:13 AM, Clodo said:

We released a new experimental version, mainly to fix some "Checking route IPv4" failure related to network adapter not active when Eddie starts.

Checking route IPv4 now works in 2.22.0.
Thank you for the fix.

On 6/14/2022 at 12:13 PM, Clodo said:

Thanks. I know that the experimental version is not aimed at addressing the odd latency figures but I gave it a try anyway. No change. 

Eddie latency reporting errors - reporting some impossibly short and impossibly long times.

On one machine, Eddie was telling me that latency for some servers across the Atlantic was 4 ms and 8 ms while for others it was a ten figure number!
If that was true the server would be out of service. It isn't.
Stopped and restarted the VPN. All latencies shown as over 100 ms, but a substantial number were nine figures. Strangely these were almost identical for the first six or seven digits...
Shut down and restarted Eddie. Now it's back to the usual erroneous but far less outrageous figures.
Something dealing with the latency calculations must be filling up with accumulated junk and doesn't clear down properly or a rogue value is being introduced.

I am also experiencing latency issues. Latency tests just hang around 32 servers or so. I have to completely disable latency tests in settings for now and handpick a server.
I did a system upgrade on one machine and got latency issues. The other system just kept working but also after system upgrade, same latency issues.
Both were on different eddie versions in 2.21.*
I know glibc got an upgrade. Possibly related?
ArchLinux, 5.19.3 kernel

This is a really, really dumb question. But how does one select wireguard in eddie? I am using 2.21.8.
I can see wiregard is listed in the protocol. but is there a button to you can select wiregard?
Also, is there a simple way to implement double hop? I.e. a button, as some vpns have in their app?
Thanks for reading and any advice. 

On 9/1/2022 at 4:21 AM, telemus said:

This is a really, really dumb question. But how does one select wireguard in eddie? I am using 2.21.8.
I can see wiregard is listed in the protocol. but is there a button to you can select wiregard?
Also, is there a simple way to implement double hop? I.e. a button, as some vpns have in their app?
Thanks for reading and any advice. 

Wireguard_Eddie.jpg

You're not afraid of the dark web, are you ?

@Riddick

Hello!

Watch out, your screenshot shows the settings window to force Eddie to use a specific interface and give it a specific name; it doesn't change the connection mode. OpenVPN and WireGuard connection modes, instead, can be selected on Settings > Protocols window.

@telemus

If WireGuard doesn't appear in the list of connection modes, probably your system doesn't have support for it.

Kind regards

2 hours ago, Staff said:
@Riddick

Hello!

Watch out, your screenshot shows the settings window to force Eddie to use a specific interface and give it a specific name; it doesn't change the connection mode. OpenVPN and WireGuard connection modes, instead, can be selected on Settings > Protocols window.

Kind regards

Hi Staff,
Appreciate the information, so it should be per screen below:
Thanks
Wireguard_Eddie_01.jpg

You're not afraid of the dark web, are you ?

Hi there @Staff and @Riddick. 
Thank you for your replies. But I'm still flummoxed. 
I am using an up to date Ubuntu 20.04 pc running eddie 2.21.8. Ubuntu ships with wireguard and I also used it with another VPN. So, I suspect it is likely in the system (I checked, and it is.)
Wireguard does appear in the protocols list - see screen grab.
What does not appear is:
On the Networking tab: VPN interface name. See screen grab.
On the Protocols tab - the capacity to highlight and select a specific protocol.
Thank you for reading and for your thoughts on this.
T

Screensshot protocol.png

Scrgb1.png

@telemus

Hello!

What does not appear is:
On the Networking tab: VPN interface name. See screen grab.

That's normal, it's a Windows exclusive option as it is the only system which needs third-party drivers for tun interfaces. You don't need this option at all in Linux or Mac.

On the Protocols tab - the capacity to highlight and select a specific protocol.

Probably "Automatic" is still checked. You need to uncheck it first.

Kind regards

Alhoa,

Windows 11 PC.
The text/font on my Laptop looks fine, but on my PC it looks like the following pictures included below.

All settings/updates are the same as previously before updating Eddie to the current version.
Changing UI Main Font makes no difference. 
Is the same case whether using the Experimental 2.22.0 or the stable one before it.

All the writing looks squashed and faded.
I've included my system display settings screenshot, which I doubt are causing the issue, but you never know.
I think Clodo said in this topic that Font issue was fixed in the experimental one, but it doesn't seem to be, unless issue is something else.

Thank you in advance for any recommendations I could try, or if it can be fixed in maybe another Eddie update.

Kind regards

Networking.png

Overview.png

Sytem dispaly.png

We released a new experimental version, mainly to fix some failure related to network adapter not related to OpenVPN/WireGuard.

Version 2.22.1 (Thu, 15 Sep 2022 12:54:46 +0000)

• [change] [all] OpenVPN 2.5.7
  • [change] [Windows] Fix detection/conflict with some unusable VPN network interfaces

On Xubuntu LTS 22.04 with Eddie 2.22. When "Minimize in tray" option is enabled and you minimize Eddie, it still minimizes in the taskbar. And then when you click Eddie in the taskbar to bring it back it opens as a blank window that can't be interacted with, you then have to click the tray icon to make it work again. I tested that this also happens in a generic VM. I'm pretty sure the blank window didn't happen with the stable version of Eddie.

eddie.thumb.png.c3a7a2a652c2463a65a69506249f0508.png

Is the picture within the Eddie frame your background wallpaper?
If so, I could still be wrong, but it looks like maybe a graphics card/GPU issue, maybe?
Has you internal graphics software updated recently, etc?
I'd maybe look into the graphics card/software/GPU first to take that out of the equation. Maybe reinstall any graphics card software first and try that.

I don't know much about the Xubuntu systems, but on a Windows platform a problem like that will most likely be the system graphic processor. Or/and screen refresh rate.
Hope that helps or steers you in the right direction.

@DEVS

My problem still continues with the display, but it is not a graphics card issue. And I have also tried from Windows display to make the program backward compatible.
With the Nvidia graphics card and without (disabled) with just the built in GPU running.
Hope that can be resolved in a future update, as I don't believe the issue is the PC system.

Thanks

Hi does the latest Eddie desktop client on Windows10/11 Network lock, DNS lock, secure tunnel and all the other great features that keep security and privacy in place usually with Openvpn work just as well with Wireguard?

13 hours ago, Lee47 said:

Hi does the latest Eddie desktop client on Windows10/11 Network lock, DNS lock, secure tunnel and all the other great features that keep security and privacy in place usually with Openvpn work just as well with Wireguard?

Hi,
Yes, should be okay, as I use W11, too.
Air wouldn't use it if it wasn't secure.
Try the following links for rudimentary checks for your own peace of mind:

https://ipleak.net/
https://browserleaks.com/webrtc
https://www.perfect-privacy.com/en/tests/check-ip
https://www.perfect-privacy.com/en/tests/dns-leaktest
https://www.dnsleaktest.com/

Try the above links now (on OpenVPN) and after using Wireguard, your results should be similar/same.
Provided you use the same browser for both tests.

Hope that helps.

49 minutes ago, scooby0786 said:

Hi,
Yes, should be okay, as I use W11, too.
Air wouldn't use it if it wasn't secure.
Try the following links for rudimentary checks for your own peace of mind:

https://ipleak.net/
https://browserleaks.com/webrtc
https://www.perfect-privacy.com/en/tests/check-ip
https://www.perfect-privacy.com/en/tests/dns-leaktest
https://www.dnsleaktest.com/

Try the above links now (on OpenVPN) and after using Wireguard, your results should be similar/same.
Provided you use the same browser for both tests.

Hope that helps.

It does appear fine when using WG via ipleak etc thanks, however I am left wondering if the privacy and security features that Eddie client has do they fully work in the same manner with WireGuard Protocol since features like network lock, inside tunnel, kill switch, dns lock etc were more of an OpenVPN thing.

I prefer AirVPN its the best and only VPN provider I use, but was just wondering the above.

16 minutes ago, Lee47 said:

network lock, inside tunnel, kill switch,

These features aren't specific and only for OpenVPN, these settings are implemented and handled through Eddie itself.
Even my backup VPN has "network lock, inside tunnel, kill switch," etc, and that backup VPN isn't based on OpenVPN infrastructure nor does it use Eddie or Air services.
If the results from the above links are fine, then you are worrying about something that will never change.

All the features you are worried about work on OVPN and WG. Its Eddie that controls those features, not OpenVPN.

Hope that helps and gives clarity.

We released a new experimental version 2.22.2, mainly to fix some specific issue.

• [bugfix] [linux/macos] Race condition in ping-request (thx to @cmaves)
  • [bugfix] [windows] VirtualStore path issue on 32bit
  • [bugfix] [all] Minor fixes
  • [new] [all] Option to skip network-lock confirmation
We also tested Eddie with macOS Ventura released today, there isn't any known issue.

2 hours ago, scooby0786 said:

These features aren't specific and only for OpenVPN, these settings are implemented and handled through Eddie itself.
Even my backup VPN has "network lock, inside tunnel, kill switch," etc, and that backup VPN isn't based on OpenVPN infrastructure nor does it use Eddie or Air services.
If the results from the above links are fine, then you are worrying about something that will never change.

All the features you are worried about work on OVPN and WG. Its Eddie that controls those features, not OpenVPN.

Hope that helps and gives clarity.

Thanks crystal clear

the new Eddie 2.22.2 Arch version works well from my side
had problem after 2.20 if 'Enable latency test' was checked. I had to disable it otherwise it was staking long time before connecting
in this version is fine now 

Eddie 2.22.2 works well too with macOS Ventura ! No issues since I've installed it, unlike before with macOS Monterey (I had recurring dns issues when using Eddie on the same machine).

Problem with latest Eddie beta:

M1 Mac, latest Monterey.
Using Eddie 2.22.1: everything is fine.
Tried Eddie 2.22.2: While Copying Eddie (arm64-10.15+) to Applications Folder, Mac says: App is damaged, should be moved to Trash.
Mac will not let me open Eddie. Mac repeats message until I move Eddie to Trash.
Going back to 2.22.1: everything fine again.

(Already opened a ticket.)

On 10/31/2022 at 4:46 PM, deltaman8 said:

Problem with latest Eddie beta:

M1 Mac, latest Monterey.
Using Eddie 2.22.1: everything is fine.
Tried Eddie 2.22.2: While Copying Eddie (arm64-10.15+) to Applications Folder, Mac says: App is damaged, should be moved to Trash.
Mac will not let me open Eddie. Mac repeats message until I move Eddie to Trash.
Going back to 2.22.1: everything fine again.

(Already opened a ticket.)

I just downloaded the mac 2.22.2 portable (zip) on Ventura, M1 (arm64), extract from download folder, moved "Eddie" to Applications, run. Ask about "software downloaded from internet" and start correctly. Please retry, i don't see any issue.