Not connected, Your IP: 18.234.55.154
Staff

Eddie Desktop Edition 2.21.6 released

Eddie 2.21.6 Desktop Edition released

Hello!

We're very glad to inform you that a new stable release of Eddie is now available for Linux (various ARM based architectures included, making it compatible with several Raspberry Pi systems), Mac, Windows.

Special thanks to all the beta testers, whose invaluable contributions and suggestions in the last 9 months have helped developers fix several bugs and improve the overall stability of the software.

Eddie is a free and open source (GPLv3) OpenVPN GUI and CLI by AirVPN with many additional features such as:

• traffic leaks prevention via packet filtering rules
  • DNS handling
  • optional connections over Tor or a generic proxy
  • customizable events
  • traffic splitting on a destination IP address or host name basis
  • complete and swift integration with AirVPN infrastructure with OpenVPN and WireGuard
  • white and black lists of VPN servers
  • ability to support IPv4, IPv6 and IPv6 over IPv4

What's new in Eddie 2.21.6

• WireGuard support including thorough and swift integration with AirVPN
  • enhanced wintun support in Windows, resolving TAP driver adapter issues and boosting performance, and now set by default as a replacement of TAP driver (which remains optionally available)
  • updated Hummingbird 1.2.0 support in Linux and macOS for increased performance (up to 120% boost in macOS i7 and M1 systems when compared against OpenVPN 2)
  • new ping engine
  • updated Portable and AppImage bundles for improved Linux distributions compatibility
  • constant monitoring of resolv.conf in Linux to mitigate and resolve DNS interference
  • refined network interface management and driver detection in Windows
  • bootstrap servers IPv6 address support
  • unquoted service fix aimed at security hardening in Windows
  • updates of all underlying linked libraries as well as dynamic link against some libraries providing enhanced robustness
  • resolution of memory leaks in Windows starting to occur after numerous usage hours
  • several bug fixes

Operating and architectural notes

Eddie GUI and CLI run with normal user privileges, while a "backend" binary, which communicates to the user interface with authentication, gains root/administrator privileges, with important security safeguards in place:

• strict parsing is enforced before passing a profile to OpenVPN in order to block insecure OpenVPN directives
  • external system binaries which need superuser privileges (examples: openvpn, iptables, hummingbird) will not be launched if they do not belong to a superuser
  • Eddie events are not run with superuser privileges: instead of trusting blindly user's responsibility and care when dealing with events, the user is required to explicitly operate to run something with high privileges, if strictly necessary

Backend binary is written in C++ on all systems (Windows included), making the whole application faster.

Settings, certificates and keys of your account stored on your mass storage can optionally be encrypted on all systems either with a Master Password or in a system key-chain if available.

Download Eddie 2.21.6

Eddie 2.21.6 can be downloaded here:
https://airvpn.org/linux - Linux version (several architectures and various distribution specific packages for easier installation)
https://airvpn.org/macos - Mac version
https://airvpn.org/windows - Windows version

Eddie is free and open source software released under GPLv3. Source code is available on GitHub: https://github.com/AirVPN/Eddie

Complete changelog can be found here.

Kind regards & datalove
AirVPN Staff

Yeah, WireGuard! The best VPN just keeps getting better.
No major issues updating from 2.20.0, but I noticed Eddie's tray icon is missing. Is there any way to get it back? Someone in the 2.21 beta thread posted a log showing they were missing "libappindicator.so.1", but I don't have any errors when starting Eddie. I have libappindicator-gtk2 and libappindicator-gtk3 already installed. I'm running Manjaro XFCE edition.

Posted ... (edited)
2 hours ago, fishbasketballaries said:

No major issues updating from 2.20.0, but I noticed Eddie's tray icon is missing. Is there any way to get it back? Someone in the 2.21 beta thread posted a log showing they were missing "libappindicator.so.1", but I don't have any errors when starting Eddie. I have libappindicator-gtk2 and libappindicator-gtk3 already installed. I'm running Manjaro XFCE edition.

According to changelog it was temporarily removed since version 2.21.5

[change] [linux] Tray icon (temporarily) removed from Arch/AUR build
Edited ... by IG-11

For those on (K)Ubuntu 22.04 the following needs to be done to make the systray icon work.

Now depending on which package manager one has it is necessary to install libappindicator.so.1 from libappindicator

If on (K)Ubuntu it is Muon package manager where you can find and install libappindicator, mark it for install and apply.

I have the system tray icon working. It is a GTK library i suppose.

Debian and Manjaro have another package manager I think.

There is no difference in checksum of the BETA or the final release, however Linux still is very much more difficult to make everything work.

If you minimize the EDDIE window, it will eventually do strange things, if however you hide the window with the systray icon ( if you have it working) it works fine.

So no need to download the latest stable for Linux, it has the same hash code.

4 hours ago, fishbasketballaries said:

Yeah, WireGuard! The best VPN just keeps getting better.

You do need the systray icon, but XFCE is another desktop environment than K(Ubuntu) so you need to do following.

Close EDDIE.

Open a terminal

In that terminal type:
eddie-ui

Please copy what the terminal window is saying. You really need the systray icon to make EDDIE hidden, minimazing EDDIE on Linux causes strange results, while hiding with the systray icon works fine.

K(Ubuntu) are KDE or GNOME desktops, very different. Please provide running 'eddie-ui' from a terminal and copy paste it, make sure to hide sensitive personal info. You probably need an entire different library.

Previous versions of EDDIE on Manjaro for example needed nftables to manually be installed e.g. but that is no longer so. But you require the systray icon.

Linux is not like windows, Linux is not a one size fits all, wheter windows is a one size fits all.

5 minutes ago, harold.lewis said:

Hi,
got the update via AUR,
noticed that there is no any more option to activate NetworkLock.
It is normal?

installed again 2.20

No, please look Preferences > Network Lock > look "Mode" and report here the list you see (it's a dynamic list of supported modes). And report also your Arch distro, maybe we can reproduce the issue. Thanks

Anyone else has huge latency results in new Eddie?
I mean for almost all servers in my case latency is about 80 - 220ms, while Eddie 2.20.0 was showing around 30-40ms for same machines..
Connecting to an actual server and checking speed results shows ping as it should be: 27-40. Weird 🙄

Always getting:

2022.05.02 19:36:34 - WireGuard > Handshake for peer 1 ([2607:ff48:aa81:200:fb8:68cXXXXXXXXX47107) did not complete after 5 seconds, retrying

when selecting one of both wireguard Protocols, with every server. Why?

(WIN 11)

2 hours ago, Clodo said:

No, please look Preferences > Network Lock > look "Mode" and report here the list you see (it's a dynamic list of supported modes). And report also your Arch distro, maybe we can reproduce the issue. Thanks
Hi Clodo, thanks for replay
as you can see from screens in Network Lock Mode I've only None and Automatic
Mi distro is Manjaro kde installed more than one year ago with Manjaro-Architect- Unconfigured Desktop-Plasma-Desktop Minimal and very little manjaro goodies

Screenshot_20220502_200301.jpg

Screenshot_20220502_200057.jpg

28 minutes ago, harold.lewis said:

Mi distro is Manjaro kde installed more than one year ago with Manjaro-Architect- Unconfigured Desktop-Plasma-Desktop Minimal and very little manjaro goodies

Can you check whether iptables/nftables packages are installed?

$ pacman -Qs iptables\|nftables

NOT AN AIRVPN TEAM MEMBER. USE TICKETS FOR PROFESSIONAL SUPPORT.

LZ1's New User Guide to AirVPN « Plenty of stuff for advanced users, too!

Want to contact me directly? All relevant methods are on my About me page.

47 minutes ago, OpenSourcerer said:

Can you check whether iptables/nftables packages are installed?

$ pacman -Qs iptables\|nftables

local/iptables 1:1.8.7-1
    Linux kernel packet control tool (using legacy interface)

iptable-nft not installed

35 minutes ago, harold.lewis said:

iptable-nft not installed

Try installing it. It contains iptables-legacy, too.

$ pacman -Fy /usr/bin/iptables-legacy
[…]
usr/bin/iptables-legacy ist in core/iptables 1:1.8.7-1 enthalten
usr/bin/iptables-legacy ist in core/iptables-nft 1:1.8.7-1 enthalten

20 minutes ago, vmrhdhvbgu said:

I am maybe stupid, but how can i change the option in Eddie to use Wireguard instead of OpenVPN?

Preferences > Protocols > Deselect Automatic > Select Wireguard in the list.

NOT AN AIRVPN TEAM MEMBER. USE TICKETS FOR PROFESSIONAL SUPPORT.

LZ1's New User Guide to AirVPN « Plenty of stuff for advanced users, too!

Want to contact me directly? All relevant methods are on my About me page.

6 hours ago, Oblivion 2013 said:
You do need the systray icon, but XFCE is another desktop environment than K(Ubuntu) so you need to do following.

Close EDDIE.

Open a terminal

In that terminal type:
eddie-ui

Please copy what the terminal window is saying. You really need the systray icon to make EDDIE hidden, minimazing EDDIE on Linux causes strange results, while hiding with the systray icon works fine.

K(Ubuntu) are KDE or GNOME desktops, very different. Please provide running 'eddie-ui' from a terminal and copy paste it, make sure to hide sensitive personal info. You probably need an entire different library.
Someone pointed out that the tray icon was removed from the AUR build. There are no errors when I run eddie-ui through the terminal. Log
Thanks for trying to help, though!

Posted ... (edited)

Anyone having the problem on MacOS, it doesn't seem to save the settings under PROTOCOLS?  
It is always on "Automatic", you turn it off by selecting a different protocol, click save, then if you go back in its back to "Automatic"?
So impossible at the moment to connect if you have to use anything other then "automatic"?
Reverrting back to 2.20.? version doesn't have this problem and you can connect without issues / save your custom protocol.

Edited ... by pwolverine
Added text.

I'm confused about the Windows downloads for the new release. In the Eddie window if I click on where it says "update available" it takes me to the download page and if I simply click on the download button it downloads the file "eddie-ui_2.21.6_windows_x64_installer.exe."

If I instead click on "other versions" and then "2.21.6 - 2022-05-02 Latest stable" it says it is "Version: 2.20.0 (2.21.6) and downloads the file "eddie-ui_2.20.0_windows-10_x64_installer.exe." This file is quite a bit smaller than the other one, so now I'm not sure which file I should be using.

Is the larger file still the experimental version, and the smaller file the newly released stable? If so, part of my confusion is probably because the downloaded stable version file name says "2.20.0" and not "2.21.6."

Thanks for the help!

On 5/2/2022 at 5:27 PM, Oblivion 2013 said:

For those on (K)Ubuntu 22.04 the following needs to be done to make the systray icon work.

Now depending on which package manager one has it is necessary to install libappindicator.so.1 from libappindicator

If on (K)Ubuntu it is Muon package manager where you can find and install libappindicator, mark it for install and apply.

I have the system tray icon working. It is a GTK library i suppose.

Debian and Manjaro have another package manager I think.

There is no difference in checksum of the BETA or the final release, however Linux still is very much more difficult to make everything work.

If you minimize the EDDIE window, it will eventually do strange things, if however you hide the window with the systray icon ( if you have it working) it works fine.

So no need to download the latest stable for Linux, it has the same hash code.

I am on Debian and though my desktop environment is not KDE, I do have the Muon package in my official repository.
But I am not sure if installing it would solve the problem with the tray icon?

Muon is a graphical package manager.

Your comments otherwise is a little funny. I think having Eddie minimised to the panel, does not do anything strange? And remember, minimising Eddie to tray does not hide the fact that you are using Eddie to any computer literate or VPN tech literate person who have access to your screen. However, I do think it is more elegant to be able to minimise Eddie to tray, instead of having it lying about on your panel, or taskbar as it is called in Windows.

I appreciate that you are trying to help with getting Eddie minimised to tray.

I may try to install Muon if there is no fix from AirVPN for the tray icon forthcoming.

But I would think AirVPN would deliver a fix in an update at some stage, as many Linux users are having this issue.

I think the eddie-tray file in the eddie-ui folder is a file for solving this on Windows.

In regards to firewall. I have uninstalled iptables and related packages (gufw and ufw), and installed nftables.

I installed nftables the simple way: 

# apt install nftables
# systemctl enable nftables.service

I think from now on everyone using Linux, should be using nftables.

I installed v2.21.6 last week when it was released from the "experimental" link. It has been working suberbly ever since. I would like to know whether there are any differences in this stable released version from yesterday and whether I should install that or just leave it as it is?.

16 hours ago, Clodo said:

seems I solved...
no need to install or remove anything

ipv6 was blocked in my configuration, removing all the blockage fix it

working well now

thanks

3 hours ago, bluesjunior said:

I installed v2.21.6 last week when it was released from the "experimental" link. It has been working suberbly ever since. I would like to know whether there are any differences in this stable released version from yesterday and whether I should install that or just leave it as it is?.

No need to reinstall, same version number = no difference

On 5/3/2022 at 10:18 AM, harold.lewis said:
seems I solved...
no need to install or remove anything

ipv6 was blocked in my configuration, removing all the blockage fix it

working well now

thanks

Mmm... 2.21 performs more checks than 2.20 about iptables/iptables-legacy/nftables, probably one of them when checking ipv6 returns an error, this issue is under investigation, thanks for the feedback

11 hours ago, boblinthewild said:

I'm confused about the Windows downloads for the new release. In the Eddie window if I click on where it says "update available" it takes me to the download page and if I simply click on the download button it downloads the file "eddie-ui_2.21.6_windows_x64_installer.exe."

If I instead click on "other versions" and then "2.21.6 - 2022-05-02 Latest stable" it says it is "Version: 2.20.0 (2.21.6) and downloads the file "eddie-ui_2.20.0_windows-10_x64_installer.exe." This file is quite a bit smaller than the other one, so now I'm not sure which file I should be using.

Is the larger file still the experimental version, and the smaller file the newly released stable? If so, part of my confusion is probably because the downloaded stable version file name says "2.20.0" and not "2.21.6."

Thanks for the help!

Was an error, fixed, now in "other versions" the "latest stable" link to 2.21.6. Thanks for the feedback.

On 5/3/2022 at 1:02 AM, pwolverine said:

Anyone having the problem on MacOS, it doesn't seem to save the settings under PROTOCOLS?  
It is always on "Automatic", you turn it off by selecting a different protocol, click save, then if you go back in its back to "Automatic"?
So impossible at the moment to connect if you have to use anything other then "automatic"?
Reverrting back to 2.20.? version doesn't have this problem and you can connect without issues / save your custom protocol.

Just tested a Monterey (arch: M1/arm) and i can't reproduce this issue, does anyone else have this issue?
Please open a ticket, report your OS and CPU arch and a Logs>Lifebelt report (to allow us to understand what options cause this behavior). Thx.