Not connected, Your IP: 3.138.174.195
Sign in to follow this  
l33t

Virtual Machine Leakage?

First off, I wish to congratulate AirVPN on providing such a wonderful service and caring so much about user privacy. I hope you guys never change in that regard!

I was wondering if it would be possible to use AirVPN in a virtual machine (Virtual Box or VMware Workstation 9) on a Windows 7 host without fear of ANY leakage of our real IP or other identifying information. I wish to stress that using AirVPN in a virtual machine would be strictly an "added bonus" for me and I don't HAVE to have it. Thus, if there is ANY risk of identity leakage, I wish to know about it.

Thanks for your time.

First off, I wish to congratulate AirVPN on providing such a wonderful service and caring so much about user privacy. I hope you guys never change in that regard!

I was wondering if it would be possible to use AirVPN in a virtual machine (Virtual Box or VMware Workstation 9) on a Windows 7 host without fear of ANY leakage of our real IP or other identifying information. I wish to stress that using AirVPN in a virtual machine would be strictly an "added bonus" for me and I don't HAVE to have it. Thus, if there is ANY risk of identity leakage, I wish to know about it.

Thanks for your time.

Hello!

Thank you for your nice words, they are much appreciated.

Unfortunately it is not possible to give you a general answer which depends on how you'll use the VM, which OS will run in it and whether it will be bridged or NATted, and in the latter case whether the VPN connection will be performed by the host, by the guest or by both. The only vague but safe answer is "yes, there may be leakages", but it won't help you at all. Another vague and general answer is that IF properly used a VM can greatly enhance security and privacy.

Kind regards

I am willing to use whatever settings are necessary to ensure optimal security. I am thinking of using Windows 7 x64 as a guest on a Windows 7 x64 host (I know this is strange, but I don't want to configure my Comodo Firewall on my actual OS to block connections outside of the AirVPN servers) using VMware Workstation 9 or Virtual Box.

I know there are different networking modes, so which one is the most secure?

I am willing to use whatever settings are necessary to ensure optimal security.

I would also appreciate instructions on how to get VM box to use only the TAP-windows adapter.

I have tried with NAT, but the VM machine real IP is always exposed even when the host OS is masked.

Would it be possible to post a tutorial on this? I believe most people want this, due to the DNS leaks we always see.

I am willing to use whatever settings are necessary to ensure optimal security. I am thinking of using Windows 7 x64 as a guest on a Windows 7 x64 host (I know this is strange, but I don't want to configure my Comodo Firewall on my actual OS to block connections outside of the AirVPN servers) using VMware Workstation 9 or Virtual Box.

I know there are different networking modes, so which one is the most secure?

Hello!

There are several possible solutions. This is one of the quickest (it requires Comodo on the host machine, but it needs just one rule in Comodo). In the example, the virtualization software is VirtualBox, the host is any Windows version and the guest OS is any. The host is connected to AirVPN and the guest is connected to the host with a NAT.

On the Comodo application rules in the host machine, define the following rule for VirtualBox.exe:

Block IP Out From IP Not In [10.4.0.0 - 10.9.255.255] To MAC Any Where Protocol Is Any

If the host disconnects from the VPN the guest machine will have all its outgoing packets (in the host itself) blocked by Comodo firewall.

Kind regards

On the Comodo application rules in the host machine' date=' define the following rule for VirtualBox.exe:

Block IP Out From IP Not In [10.4.0.0 - 10.9.255.255'] To MAC Any Where Protocol Is Any

Instructions for vmplayer?

3 files.

Vmplayer.exe

vmware-authd.exe

Vmnat.exe

Comodo wont assign special rule to vmnat.exe. Block/allow only.

Assign rule above doesn't work for other two files.