Not connected, Your IP: 3.144.238.20
baladis1992

ANSWERED Help! How to make nomachine dont lose connection

Posted ... (edited)

I have an ubuntu server with giu install and eddie.
everything is working fine, except everytime i am trying to connect to vpn nomachine disconnects.
I am noob and i desperately need to make it work.
Nomachine uses 4000 port to connect to my VPS.
How to make nomachine not disconnect when network lock and vpn is active?
thnx in advance for any answer.
portforward 4000 port? what command should i give?
sorry for my english.
i dont want to use rdp, because xrdp has low quality

Edited ... by baladis1992

Am I reading it right that you're trying to connect both your PC and "nomachine" to the VPN, but everytime you connect with your PC the VPN on "nomachine" disconnects?

NOT AN AIRVPN TEAM MEMBER. USE TICKETS FOR PROFESSIONAL SUPPORT.

LZ1's New User Guide to AirVPN « Plenty of stuff for advanced users, too!

Want to contact me directly? All relevant methods are on my About me page.

Posted ... (edited)
6 minutes ago, OpenSourcerer said:

Am I reading it right that you're trying to connect both your PC and "nomachine" to the VPN, but everytime you connect with your PC the VPN on "nomachine" disconnects?

thnks so much for your time.
I have a laptop at my home, with nomachine installed. and i connect with it to the Ubuntu VPS i have at hetzner. Work stuff and downloading, torrenting.
I want to connect from my home to my VPS that has airvpn eddie installed. But everytime I open eddie and connect to vpn in VPS, nomachine (from my home) disconnects. I dont use eddie at my home computer. Only in VPS at hetzner because of torrenting. 
https://www.nomachine.com/getting-started-with-nomachine Edited ... by baladis1992

Oh, it's a remote desktop application, I see.

Let me try an explanation first. When you connect to AirVPN with Eddie, all traffic is routed through the VPN. This means that traffic coming in on Hetzner's IP will either be routed out through AirVPN's server or times out on the VPS entirely (because traffic must leave on the tunnel interface but is trying to get out on the physical one). In the former case, if traffic from an AirVPN server comes back to you and you did not initiate the connection to the AirVPN server IP, your router drops the traffic – it doesn't know which of the devices in its network the traffic is meant for. In both cases, NoMachine disconnects and cannot reconnect, unless one of two things happen:

• The VPN connection closes, so that traffic coming in to Hetzner's IP will be routed out on Hetzner's IP again.
  • The NoMachine connection comes in through the "new" IP address of the VPS, which will be the AirVPN exit IP.
Only the latter is an option, I imagine. On the port forwarding page, when you forward a port you can enter something in the DDNS field below it. Entering myname there for example will create a DDNS record of myname.airdns.org. If you use that address in NoMachine, you should be able to reach your server with an active VPN connection. Though, this also means, if the VPS is not connected to AirVPN, you must use Hetzner's address again.

1 hour ago, OpenSourcerer said:

Oh, it's a remote desktop application, I see.

Let me try an explanation first. When you connect to AirVPN with Eddie, all traffic is routed through the VPN. This means that traffic coming in on Hetzner's IP will either be routed out through AirVPN's server or times out on the VPS entirely (because traffic must leave on the tunnel interface but is trying to get out on the physical one). In the former case, if traffic from an AirVPN server comes back to you and you did not initiate the connection to the AirVPN server IP, your router drops the traffic – it doesn't know which of the devices in its network the traffic is meant for. In both cases, NoMachine disconnects and cannot reconnect, unless one of two things happen:

• The VPN connection closes, so that traffic coming in to Hetzner's IP will be routed out on Hetzner's IP again.
  • The NoMachine connection comes in through the "new" IP address of the VPS, which will be the AirVPN exit IP.
Only the latter is an option, I imagine. On the port forwarding page, when you forward a port you can enter something in the DDNS field below it. Entering myname there for example will create a DDNS record of myname.airdns.org. If you use that address in NoMachine, you should be able to reach your server with an active VPN connection. Though, this also means, if the VPS is not connected to AirVPN, you must use Hetzner's address again.
Thnk you so much.
Now when I connect to vpn in my VPS, nomachine provides another ipaddress to connect to from my home pc, but I cannot connect yet.
Maybe i have to wait 1 hour as airvpn says in documentation for ipforwarding

3 hours ago, baladis1992 said:

Maybe i have to wait 1 hour as airvpn says in documentation for ipforwarding

No, this is only for DNS caches. If you resolve a name, it usually gets saved in a cache for the duration specified in a special DNS record. This is done to lower the load on DNS servers so that the same address is not requested over and over again but served from local storage for a time. In this case, that duration is 60 minutes. Though not 100% correct, you can read it as "we guarantee that in the next 60 minutes the IP address won't change".

Now when I connect to vpn in my VPS, nomachine provides another ipaddress to connect to from my home pc, but I cannot connect yet.

Would be interesting to know which one that is. It should be the exit IP now.

Oh, I just realized, you need a second forwarded port as well. Not only for your torrent client but also for NoMachine to connect to NoMachine on the VPS, for example, port 4000, if it's still free.

18 minutes ago, OpenSourcerer said:

No, this is only for DNS caches. If you resolve a name, it usually gets saved in a cache for the duration specified in a special DNS record. This is done to lower the load on DNS servers so that the same address is not requested over and over again but served from local storage for a time. In this case, that duration is 60 minutes. Though not 100% correct, you can read it as "we guarantee that in the next 60 minutes the IP address won't change".

Would be interesting to know which one that is. It should be the exit IP now.

Oh, I just realized, you need a second forwarded port as well. Not only for your torrent client but also for NoMachine to connect to NoMachine on the VPS, for example, port 4000, if it's still free.
the problem is that airvpn says its alredy used.
i dont know what else to do. I have bopught the susbscriptions and I cannot use them.
Airvpn 7 euro per month 
VPS 15 euro per month
Any way. is there any other way to be able to control Ubuntu VPS without the connection drop?
i was able only to do it by remote desktop. I exclude my ip range at network lock settings of eddie and it works. But xrdp provides very sluggish performance.

the problem is that airvpn says its alredy used.

Use one that is free, then, and change the port in NoMachine. When forwarding the port, leave the field for it blank, the system will assign a random free one. Change the port used by NoMachine to that random port and it should work.

But xrdp provides very sluggish performance. 

RDP on Linux is nonsensical, it's a Microsoft technology, and Microsoft doesn't love Linux. You can try VNC as an alternative or X2Go, the latter uses the same protocol NoMachine uses (NX).

i dont know what else to do. I have bopught the susbscriptions and I cannot use them.
Airvpn 7 euro per month 
VPS 15 euro per month

Please don't pull the "I paid for the service" card here, it doesn't help at all. Besides, you're on the community forums; even if we wanted to we can't help you with such complaints. :)

1 minute ago, OpenSourcerer said:

Please don't pull the "I paid for the service" card here, it doesn't help at all. Besides, you're on the community forums; even if we wanted to we can't help you with such complaints. :)
It was for myself.
Of course the service works.
I am the problem here that i dont know how to do it. :) thnx for your time

8 minutes ago, baladis1992 said:

I am the problem here that i dont know how to do it. :) thnx for your time

You're not the "problem" at all, but you must realize that no one can configure these things for you. And personally, I often try not to serve the solution on a silver platter but point people in the direction of it so they may understand what they're configuring.
It's all I've done here: I told you that, because you're connecting to AirVPN with the VPS, all traffic is redirected through the VPN and that means, incoming traffic must also come on the AirVPN exit IP (so, you must configure NoMachine to connect on the AirVPN exit IP, that's something you understood, I believe). The AirVPN servers are "firewalls" themselves which need port forwarding to know for which machine incoming traffic is meant (I think you understood it, too, because you successfully configured a torrent client to use such a forwarded port).
The limitation is that only one user can forward a given port to his/her account at a time, so you must forward a random port that is still available to be forwarded to your account (leave the port field blank to do so). Port 4000 is taken, if you connect to it regardless, you may be redirected to the machine of the user who forwarded port 4000 (where NoMachine is likely not running).
You must then change the port NoMachine on the VPS uses to that random port, and connect with your PC using that random port.

Don't let your frustration make you abandon the effort, you're close to the solution.

27 minutes ago, OpenSourcerer said:

You're not the "problem" at all, but you must realize that no one can configure these things for you. And personally, I often try not to serve the solution on a silver platter but point people in the direction of it so they may understand what they're configuring.
It's all I've done here: I told you that, because you're connecting to AirVPN with the VPS, all traffic is redirected through the VPN and that means, incoming traffic must also come on the AirVPN exit IP (so, you must configure NoMachine to connect on the AirVPN exit IP, that's something you understood, I believe). The AirVPN servers are "firewalls" themselves which need port forwarding to know for which machine incoming traffic is meant (I think you understood it, too, because you successfully configured a torrent client to use such a forwarded port).
The limitation is that only one user can forward a given port to his/her account at a time, so you must forward a random port that is still available to be forwarded to your account (leave the port field blank to do so). Port 4000 is taken, if you connect to it regardless, you may be redirected to the machine of the user who forwarded port 4000 (where NoMachine is likely not running).
You must then change the port NoMachine on the VPS uses to that random port, and connect with your PC using that random port.

Don't let your frustration make you abandon the effort, you're close to the solution.
I just reinstalled ubuntu vps, downloaded eddie. 
removed all forwarded ports from my account and i let airvpn choose one for me.
but its not rechable in ipv4 tcp only udp and ipv6

Καταγραφή.PNG

the ip address that i highlight with an arrow is the address nomachine shows to connect when i connect the vpn.
i change the port in the VPS and the port in my nomachine client at home and it not works.
what else i am supposed to do?

Καταγραφή.PNG

You're looking at the local IP address. You need the exit IP address. To find that out, connect to the VPS, then:

Or look it up on the Sessions page, it's there in the exit IPv4 line.

42 minutes ago, baladis1992 said:

Thnk you so much. I had all day trying to set it up.
It worked.
Thnk you so much, much appreciated.

Well, you got there in the end. :) Enjoy!