Not connected, Your IP: 3.19.56.45

Hi,

my Eddie installation on a Linux Mint VM instance seems to not be working. I am getting the "Bootstrap failed" error message on startup.
I have seen a few threads on here about this topic, but none seem to be really helping to fix the problem. My provider is not blocking anything, connections are currently not blocked by any firewall (for testing purposes).
The VM is running on a Debian server with proxmox. I am using a bridging network setup, the VM itself is only using IPV6 (no IPV4, I disabled it completely in the Network Manager).
I have tried using Eddie 2.20.0 and 2.21.3 (beta), both have the same problem.
Everything other than Eddie seems to be working inside the VM with regards to being able to browse (Firefox), pinging URLs and IP addresses, executing curl in the terminal etc... I am not sure what else could be the problem as the networking seems to be set up correctly in every way.

The Eddie log does not really help much either as far as error msgs go - "Collect information about AirVPN ... try failed (curl: (7) Couldn't connect to server)

Does anyone have any suggestions?

Thanks!

1 hour ago, traffic_22 said:

(no IPV4, I disabled it completely in the Network Manager).

I've never seen a bootstrap server IPv6 address posted or written anywhere, that's probably the problem. If you are not able to access the v4 internet, you won't be able to reach the bootstrap servers.

On a more personal note, I would've disabled v4 as well, but it staggers me everytime to see what kind of websites and services are still only reachable via v4. Steam and Reddit to name some big players here. I would've disabled this, too, but then a third of the internet is effectively unreachable for me. It a different league than, say, disabling 2G/3G GSM or wireless 2.4 GHz.

NOT AN AIRVPN TEAM MEMBER. USE TICKETS FOR PROFESSIONAL SUPPORT.

LZ1's New User Guide to AirVPN « Plenty of stuff for advanced users, too!

Want to contact me directly? All relevant methods are on my About me page.

3 hours ago, OpenSourcerer said:

If you are not able to access the v4 internet, you won't be able to reach the bootstrap servers.

Indeed that seems to be the case. Looking forward in time, I guess this could be something AirVPN could improve/add in the future.
My use case is the following: The VM is running on a server at a hoster. The hoster does not provide free IPV4s, only IPV6 /64 subnets. I did not want to have to pay for an extra IPV4 anymore (and this problem won't get better due to the increasing scarcity of IPV4 addresses) - so I had to assign the VM an IPV6 only.
I was now able to "fix" it with a workaround through the use of Tayga, clatd and a NAT64/DNS64 nameserver - this is described here:
https://henschel.network/nat464xlat-with-clatd-on-ubuntu-18-04-lts/
This worked for me, however it is a bit finicky and I wouldn't consider it a permanently stable (standard) solution.

Hope this helps for anyone facing a similar problem.

14 hours ago, traffic_22 said:

I was now able to "fix" it with a workaround through the use of Tayga, clatd and a NAT64/DNS64 nameserver - this is described here:
https://henschel.network/nat464xlat-with-clatd-on-ubuntu-18-04-lts/
This worked for me, however it is a bit finicky and I wouldn't consider it a permanently stable (standard) solution.

Actually, it's close to a solution. Only change I would've made was to avoid Google DNS.

Thank you for posting your resolution. People sometimes still need to be asked nicely to do so.

NOT AN AIRVPN TEAM MEMBER. USE TICKETS FOR PROFESSIONAL SUPPORT.

LZ1's New User Guide to AirVPN « Plenty of stuff for advanced users, too!

Want to contact me directly? All relevant methods are on my About me page.

16 hours ago, traffic_22 said:
Indeed that seems to be the case. Looking forward in time, I guess this could be something AirVPN could improve/add in the future.
My use case is the following: The VM is running on a server at a hoster. The hoster does not provide free IPV4s, only IPV6 /64 subnets. I did not want to have to pay for an extra IPV4 anymore (and this problem won't get better due to the increasing scarcity of IPV4 addresses) - so I had to assign the VM an IPV6 only.

Hello!

You are definitely right. Historically, this is a consequence of the fact the our bootstrap servers were not given by the respective datacenters IPv6 support and we did not insist on that. We will ask our providers to add IPv6 support to the bootstrap servers if possible, and then adapt our software accordingly when IPv6 layer is preferred over IPv4.

Kind regards

P.S. You applied a smart workaround!

2 hours ago, OpenSourcerer said:

Only change I would've made was to avoid Google DNS

That is actually what I did - just forgot to mention it here :) I would (and did) do the same.
2 hours ago, OpenSourcerer said:

People sometimes still need to be asked nicely to do so.

I know - I don't know how many requests for help I read without the poster ever posting the resolution, sometimes despite the promise to follow up.
43 minutes ago, Staff said:

We will ask our providers to add IPv6 support to the bootstrap servers if possible, and then adapt our software accordingly when IPv6 layer is preferred over IPv4.

Thank you! That would be great. Not sure how the software handles querying the servers, but the standard could be a try for both and then just take whatever works or sth. similar.

Thanks again!