Not connected, Your IP: 13.58.151.231
ciudad

When will AirVPN implement tls-crypt-v2?

@ciudad

Hello!

It's not planned at the moment because it's more comfortable for us the current single tls-crypt key. tls-crypt 2 doesn't change anything for the client, while on the server side, in our specific case, it would be useless because we maintain tls-auth for backward compatibility,. Any denial attempt would remain potentially possible via tls-auth, hence we would have a complication for nothing. However  when we drop tls-auth (we're afraid not in the near future because of the amount of old OpenVPN versions connecting to our service) then tls-crypt-2 will become attractive indeed.. 

Kind regards

11 hours ago, Staff said:
@ciudad

because of the amount of old OpenVPN versions connecting to our service)

I am shocked to learn that many of AirVPN's customers still use old versions of OpenVPN.

Could you be kind enough to put up banners on the front page of your website warning your customers to use the latest version of OpenVPN due to security concerns?

6 hours ago, ciudad said:

Could you be kind enough to put up banners on the front page of your website warning your customers to use the latest version of OpenVPN due to security concerns?

That is a difficult thing to do because it may not be their fault entirely. If they want to use OpenVPN bundled with Synology because it's what they can reasonably do with their skillset, they are locked to OpenVPN 2.3, believe it or not. Synology doesn't seem to be updating much on their Linux-based NAS boxes.

NOT AN AIRVPN TEAM MEMBER. USE TICKETS FOR PROFESSIONAL SUPPORT.

LZ1's New User Guide to AirVPN « Plenty of stuff for advanced users, too!

Want to contact me directly? All relevant methods are on my About me page.

On 12/1/2021 at 3:28 AM, ciudad said:

I am shocked to learn that many of AirVPN's customers still use old versions of OpenVPN.

Hello!

On top of what @OpenSourcerer correctly wrote, also consider that major Linux distributions run with obsolete packages which are kept on their repositories, with internal maintenance mainly dedicated to security patches only. For example Debian 10, which was the latest stable Debian until few months ago, has OpenVPN 2.4 in the repository (and archaic kernel and libraries...), and Debian 9 ("oldoldstable" still supported and widely used) runs OpenVPN 2.3. Not many users take care of a backport, even less to build latest OpenVPN version inside their distribution.

Kind regards