Not connected, Your IP: 54.227.104.229
d0gstar

ANSWERED What Do I put in these fields - Secondlife online game

Hi All,

I wonder if anyone could help me. I would very much like access secondlife through a proxy.
The game has the ability but I lack the knowledge:
If anyone could tell me what I enter into the fields of the below picture I would be very grateful.
I have also included the websites tutorial, but it is all Greek to me.

1022482338_Secondlifeproxysetting.PNG.08acfd8ae175c5a005e7f161864bf97f.PNGfig 1.

Second Life allows you to configure two types of proxy servers in order to route three distinct types of traffic necessary for connecting to and properly experiencing Second Life.

To access the Proxy Settings window:

1. Choose Me > Preferences from the top menu bar.
  2. Click the Setup tab of the PREFERENCES window.
  3. Click the Adjust proxy settings button to open the Proxy Settings window. 

HTTP proxy

The HTTP proxy is specifically for routing HTTP traffic meant to be viewed inworld via the Media Browser or Shared Media (and potentially "other" HTTP traffic). It is not necessary to set up this proxy in order to connect to Second Life from inside a closed network, but you will not have access to web content. If you need to set up an HTTP proxy for your normal web browser, you probably need to set up an HTTP proxy for Second Life as well.

To configure an HTTP proxy for web pages in the Proxy Settings window:

1. Check Use HTTP Proxy for Web pages
  2. Enter the HTTP proxy's network address and port number in the HTTP Proxy: and Port number: fields, respectively.

SOCKS 5 proxy

The SOCKS proxy is responsible for routing UDP traffic (and potentially "other" HTTP traffic) between Second Life and resources outside your closed network. If you are on a closed network, such as at a school or corporate office, you must configure a SOCKS proxy in order to connect to Second Life.

To configure a SOCKS 5 proxy for UDP traffic in the Proxy Settings window:

1. Check Use SOCKS 5 Proxy for UDP traffic
  2. Enter the SOCKS 5 proxy's network address and port number in the SOCKS 5 Proxy: and Port number: fields, respectively.
  3. If your SOCKS proxy does not require authentication, you're done!
    • If your SOCKS proxy does require authentication, choose the Username/Password radio button under SOCKS Authentication and enter your user name and password in the marked fields.

Other HTTP traffic

In addition to web and UDP traffic, Second Life uses HTTP for a few other purposes, such as loading your inventory and loading textures on objects. You may choose to route this "other" HTTP traffic through either an HTTP proxy or SOCKS 5 proxy. If you have configured both types of proxies, try experimenting with each to figure out which one provides the best inventory and texture loading speeds.

To select a proxy for other HTTP traffic, choose from one of the available radio buttons under Other HTTP traffic proxy in the Proxy Settings window. You cannot select a proxy you have not yet configured.

Caveats

Proxy servers do not currently aid the following features in getting through your network's firewall:

• Voice chat. You may still be able to use voice chat by forwarding the necessary ports as described above in Configuring your hardware firewall.
  • The automatic updater.
  • The crash logger.

You must enter a proxy if your network is behind one, such as a web filter many companies use. It's their means to access the internet. In private networks, I'd be surprised if you needed one.
There are a number of public proxy servers you could use, but I wonder why you ask such a question in a VPN forum. To use Second Life over the VPN, such settings are not needed.

NOT AN AIRVPN TEAM MEMBER. USE TICKETS FOR PROFESSIONAL SUPPORT.

LZ1's New User Guide to AirVPN « Plenty of stuff for advanced users, too!

Want to contact me directly? All relevant methods are on my About me page.

Thanks for the reply Opensourcerer.
Basically, I only want to use AIRVPN proxy for second-life not for anything else in my day-to-day internet usage from home.

The thing is where do I get the IP address to for the HTTP proxy And SOCKS5 server?
When I simply add an IP address from a server that I can see when I connect to eddie, The Second-life viewer can't connect,
So I am asking if I enter my AirVPN  user name and password into the authentication fields and simply add the AirVPM Server IP (from whichever server I choose listed in Eddie for example) to the HTTP proxy settings fields, but this doesn't connect, so I am wondering if I am doing something wrong.
And secondly, I have no idea where I can obtain the SOCKS5 Address, which would work better for Second-life.

I would prefer to use Proxy for Second-life and not have to open eddie at all.

I hope this makes sense?

7 hours ago, d0gstar said:

Basically, I only want to use AIRVPN proxy for second-life not for anything else in my day-to-day internet usage from home.

AirVPN is a VPN, not a proxy provider. What you aim for is impossible with AirVPN.

ooooooooohhhh I didn't know that ! So basically, Second-life can see exactly where I am connecting from (My original IP Addy?) while I am using AirVPN?
And is that the same for SOCKS5?

1 hour ago, d0gstar said:

So basically, Second-life can see exactly where I am connecting from (My original IP Addy?) while I am using AirVPN?

If you are connected with Eddie, then no.

And is that the same for SOCKS5?

SOCKS is a proxy protocol. :)

Ahh great, then I can continue using AIR, I think this company is great and I totally agree with their ethics and stance on Net Neutrality.
So, my next question is where can I obtain the SOCKS5 Address to enter into the socks5 field?

And I am guessing, I can still achieve my objective of using eddie solely / predominantly with Second-life utilising split tunnelling, is that correct?

So, my next question is where can I obtain the SOCKS5 Address to enter into the socks5 field?

Erm… I don't think you understood. AirVPN is a VPN provider, not a proxy provider. There is no need for a proxy if you're connected to AirVPN.

And I am guessing, I can still achieve my objective of using eddie solely / predominantly with Second-life utilising split tunnelling, is that correct?

No, because OpenVPN works on a lower level. To achieve something like Split Tunneling you must do quite a few extra steps, and because of the lower level, it gets a bit technical. Given your apparent experience with networking that might be a bit too much for you, but hey, there's nothing in the world one can't learn, so here's a link:
https://github.com/tool-maker/VPN_just_for_torrents/wiki/Running-OpenVPN-on-Windows-without-VPN-as-Default-Gateway

Okay, yes I am slowly getting - Thank you for your patience. Basically Air does not provide SOCKS5 or a Proxy but a VPN service, if I wanted a proxy and or SOCKS5 I would need a different service provider. 

I'll read the link you provided and try learn a little more about split tunnelling and see if I can get my head around it, again thanks so much for you patience and explanations.

50 minutes ago, d0gstar said:

Basically Air does not provide SOCKS5 or a Proxy but a VPN service, if I wanted a proxy and or SOCKS5 I would need a different service provider. 

Exactly. Good luck to you! If questions arise, open a new thread. :)