Not connected, Your IP: 18.232.187.47

Eddie doesn't seem to be compatible with the latest Mac OS (i.e. Monterrey). The Client initially connects and works fine, until it crashes - after that i cannot restart the client again, after inputting my admin pw an error msg pops up:

Unable to obtain elevated privileges (required): Unable to start (Client not allowed: Remote executable '/Applications/Eddie.app/Contents/MacOS/Eddie' not signed)

anybody else with the same problem?

seems to work...i'll keep you posted if any crashes still occur. thanks for the quick response!

Im experiencing the same issue here - M1 iMac with Monterrey.

Im using the Beta but Eddie still crashes unexpectedlly and that leaves the DNS settings changed. So in order to get the Mac back working you first need to manually reset the DNS settings in System preferences/NEtwork and than restart Eddie.

But today I experience a new and worse problem - after I start Eddie I am stuck in the login window ad nothing works. I have the cursor but no click is recognized by eddie so I cannot click Login or anything. I didnt change anything since yesterday so  have no clue whats going on :(

I was having the same problem after upgrading to Monterrey, installed the beta Eddie, and was still having problems. 

I am on 2020 MacBook Air, the system right before the M1 chip.

I called AppleCare and was instructed to delete:

com.apple.wifi.message-tracer.plist
Networkinterfaces.plist
preferences.plist
com.apple.airport.preferences.plist
com.apple.airport.preferences.plist.backup
com.apple.network.eapolclient.configuration.plist

Hope it works for you like it seems to for me.

MacOS Monterey on MBP M1 Pro. Eddie disconnect when Mac goes to sleep, then it often crashes. It doesn't start anymore because it can't obtain privileges. I need to reinstall it everytime. Thank you in advance for an update that solves this problem. 

7 hours ago, Staff said:
@waterfall

Hello!

Can you please confirm that after you followed AppleCare recommendations the problem got resolved? Thanks in advance!

Kind regards

Yes, I can confirm, it solved the problems. The deleted .plist files are recreated on restart automatically, but I am sure you already know that.

However, I also made a few other fine tunings:

1: I changed the Desktop from my own pictures to the Apple desktop background. Monterrey OS seemed to want to log me off at random otherwise.
2: I noticed I would get locked up when running another Mac with Tunnelblck (since that old MacPro Nehalem workhorse is too old for Eddie) and active data exchanges were ongoing, so I thought maybe my ISP was throttling the connection and changed Eddie beta protocols on my Macbook Air from Automatic to Port 80. No problems since then.

Of course, Monterrey seems buggy and Apple is not as nimble and responsive a corporation as they once used to be, so I expect I will be continuing the fine tuning.

eddie 2.20.0 crashed/terminated, installed 5 days ago on new macmini M1 12.0.1. ran 5 days 24/7 crashed while i was doing nothing but staring. so the Network Lock was gone, i was running Transmission which still showed DL/UL stats were continuing. i pulled the ethernet cable. lucky i was sitting and saw eddie crash and i was able to pull the plug. i'm not sure Transmission was actually still DL/UL, maybe the Transmission transfer stats were latent? this would be unacceptable if Transmission/bittorrent is still DL/UL after eddie crashes for obvious reasons!
in 4+ years on Sierra/eddie i don't think eddie crashed once. it did stop functioning but never released the Network Lock.
relaunching eddie gave:

Unable to obtain elevated privileges (required): Unable to start (Client not allowed: Remote executable '/Applications/Eddie.app/Contents/MacOS/Eddie' not signed).
i had to uninstall/reinstall eddie. also had to change DNS Servers from what eddie left, so i hope that means what i saw in Transmission data transfer stats was latent!

@organicchocolate

Hello!

You don't need to rush to pull the plug and/or attend and monitor the VPN connection continuously if you enable Network Lock, which will prevent any possible traffic leak outside the VPN tunnel even when Eddie crashes.

For all the other, numerous problems of Eddie 2.20 in Monterey, please follow this very thread: upgrade to Eddie 2.21 beta, apply the Apple "patches" (at least until a new Monterey fixed version is available) and all the problems should get resolved according to the reports.

Kind regards

can i just let eddie crash on 2.20 Monterey since the network lock is not dropped or only install 2.21beta without deleting above mentioned "applecare" suggestion?

i've called applecare 6 times on simple display like i want/can't find functions now and NOT ONE tech could answer, they told me it's been deprecated. the techs even sound poorly competent. only when the first line transfers u to the Creative Group do u get a semi okay knowledge tech but they are specialized and might only know Photos, iMovie... a Creative Group tech was able to answer all my OS questions and nothing i mentioned was deprecated, they didn't know/understand and the GO TO answer is it's gone, LOL. it's not like 7 years to beginning of apple when the first person answering knew even the OS. i'm surprised applecare gave waterfall assistance since eddie i'm assuming is not sanctioned 3rd party software? that was just one tech who instructed waterfall so i'm hesitant to act. applecare tech told me a day ago they cannot even touch LittleSnitch, it's forbidden. 
thanks to airvpn Staff for quick reply on forum! i have issues sending in tickets.

Hi organicchocolate,

It sounds like AppleCare is giving you a real run-a-round. Whenever I talk to them I do not mention Eddie, Tunnelblock, or any other 3rd-party apps. I know they will have little to offer regarding non-Apple tech.

However, the solutions they offered are working for me. I did have to delete the .plist files one more time after I last posted, and have noticed that if I shut down the Mac (rather than just letting it sleep) more often--like once every four or five days--it does not lock up or log me out. 

Deleting the .plist files is fine, since they are recreated automatically every time you restart. As AirVPN staff wrote, we do need to wait for Apple OS 12.0.2 or Eddie updates to be released. So, don't shoot the piano player. AirVPN staff are very responsive and seem to have our interests at heart.

The solution that worked for me on my 2020 MacBook Air (preM1) via AppleCare:

Go to Library/Preferences/SystemConfiguration/
Delete 
     com.apple.wifi.message-tracer.plist
     Networkinterfaces.plist
     preferences.plist
     com.apple.airport.preferences.plist
     com.apple.airport.preferences.plist.backup
     com.apple.network.eapolclient.configuration.plist

Restart your machine.

If you are really nervous you can always create a Folder called Backup on your Desktop and drag those files to it. Delete them from SystemConfiguration before you restart. It's the same difference because the files are out of Startup but you still have them safe on your Desktop. Hope this helps. If not, get AppleCare back on the line.

Screen Shot 2021-11-26 at 5.46.45 PM.png

AirVPN Staff, now i am positive when eddie 2.20.0 crashes on macmini 12.0.1. , Transmission 3.00 continues downloading/uploading. i watched Transmission transfer rate stats display changing for 5 minutes, The Console Crash Report shows my eddie crashed and Transmission ran for 1.5 hours with no AirVPN protection. i will update to 2.21 beta.

1 hour ago, organicchocolate said:

AirVPN Staff, now i am positive when eddie 2.20.0 crashes on macmini 12.0.1. , Transmission 3.00 continues downloading/uploading

Hello!

Network Lock is a set of firewall (pf) rules so when Eddie crashes the rules remain unchanged and no traffic leaks outside the tunnel can happen. Also note that if Eddie crashes, OpenVPN or WireGuard can keep working without problems, so your system can still be in the VPN regardless of the crash. The only way to cause leaks after Eddie crashed with Network Lock would be (on top of killing OpenVPN or WireGuard) changing firewall rules, but only superuser can do that.

That said, the idea to test Eddie beta version is good, please keep us informed.

Kind regards

eddie 2.21.3, + updated to macos 12.1 - has not crashed in the 8 days installed/all day use, i don't let eddie beta run if no one is attending mac but it's still up about 14 hours per day. (after updating to macos 12.1 i tested eddie 2.20.0 but it still crashed, sometimes twice in minutes, (to see if it was macos 12.0.1 issue only).

eddie 2.21.3 so far does not get stuck at IPv4 as eddie 2.20.0 did, 2.21.3 always then goes to IPv6 and connects.

one diff/issue 1. running eddie 2. manual disconnect ethernet cable for 30 seconds. 3. eddie trying to reconnect. 4. plug ethernet cable back. 5. eddie cannot auto reconnect because eddie auto logged me out. 6. have to relogin to airvpn then click  "Connect to a recommended server".  i believe previous eddies did not lose my login credentials.

reporting back on eddie 2.21.3
1. left transmission 3 running while sleeping, mini/monterey 12.1 ran low of internal ssd space and shut down tranmission 3 from processing, it was still displaying its normal GUI just no data transfers. monterey showed i had 1G space on SSD. i deleted some files to get 6G free. transmission wouldn't resume and i couldn't browse the internet. eddie 2.21.3 was frozen, i'm guessing the low space because 2.21.3 has not crashed once since installed for 30 days now. 2.21.3 would not quit i had to force quit. (my desktop background was changed too so monterey had changed at least one setting).
2. today i noticed 2.21.3 i can click "Connect to a recommended server" without clicking "Activate Network Lock" but i get the same green icon top right of screen. i'm not sure if 2.20.0 is like that? for a novice user like me i would like a different color than green so i'd note i forgot to "Activate Network Lock".
3. 2.21.3 while connecting has gotten stuck at IPv4 and hangs up, once in 30 days,
2.21.3 is an extreme improvement from a novices front end use.

@organicchocolate

Hello!

Thank you very much for the good feedback, we're glad to hear it.

About Network Lock, the status is reported by the padlock on the main window. If it's closed, Network Lock is enabled. A connection must be possible even with Network Lock disable,d so the green token you mention is appropriate. Maybe you'd prefer to have Network Lock on by default. You can configure Eddie to enable Network Lock when the app starts. AirVPN Suite enables Network Lock by default.

Kind regards

@Staff, I have this issue all the time! I'm using an M1 mac with MacOS 12.2 at this point. Eddie just randomly crashes and the network lock turns off. That doesn't make any sense, because the network lock should be a firewall configuration, however I can use google and everything without noticing that eddie has been off for half an hour. It's really bizzare - an eddie crash used to stop all internet traffic.

When it does crash, I get two kinds of errors. The most common is the "Unable to obtain elevated privileges..." one and then one about having a bad developer signature. I've tried so many things all the way up to completely reinstalling the OS. The only thing that works is to delete the app from the Applications folder and place a new uncorrupted copy from the eddie.dmg disk image back in the folder. Sometimes I have to delete the config files as well, and sometimes I have to restart the computer. Like today, eddie has crashed 4 times in a row and server pings times start at around 300 (usually they start at 120ish) which means I wont get eddie working without a restart and a fresh install. Other times it works for days with no problem. very frustrating 😢

@adamrabbit

Hello!

Thank you. This thread is under the attention of Eddie developer now. Can you also test Eddie 2.21.3 beta and check whether you experience the same problems, and report back when you can? Can you also specify whether you have applied the "patch" recommended by Apple, see

Kind regards

@Staff Hello - thank you. I will try the new version tomorrow. Regarding the Apple patch, I know about it. I technically did do it as I wiped my whole system and reinstalled MacOS 12.1 from scratch and then installed eddie before installing anything else. I didn't do that alone as its a little annoying to set up my preferences again. However, if the developer thinks that deleting the networking files after installing eddie makes a difference (as opposed to before like when I reinstalled the OS) then I can try that as well.

I use an app called little snitch to block facebook and such. That app has been having weird behavior on this new computer as well. I think something is wrong on Apple's side with the networking, but if the eddie developer has a fix that would be great!

I'll report back on the new version.

@Staff I've installed 2.21.3 and so far no crashes. The previous version would sometimes work for days on end too, so I can't be sure, but so far so good. Thank you.

Posted ... (edited)
@Staff I woke up this morning to find Eddie had crashed and the internet was working - no network lock. Last night I had been trying to get Internet sharing to work. The mac with the problem is the same as in the above comments and is not the one doing the internet sharing. On this Mac I simply tried to use eddie through internet sharing. Then when trying to restart eddie, it couldn't get elevated privileges and I had to reinstall it again before it would work. Edited ... by adamrabbit

@adamrabbit

Hello!

If Network Lock was actually enabled since the beginning, something must have modified pf rules (Network Lock sets pf rules, pf is the default firewall in macOS). If possible, check pf rules after Network Lock has been enabled and after the crash. Is it Eddie 2.21.5? Any other information about the crash? What is the exact error message when Eddie can't get "elevated" privileges?

Kind regards

5 hours ago, Staff said:
@adamrabbit

Hello!

If Network Lock was actually enabled since the beginning, something must have modified pf rules (Network Lock sets pf rules, pf is the default firewall in macOS). If possible, check pf rules after Network Lock has been enabled and after the crash. Is it Eddie 2.21.5? Any other information about the crash? What is the exact error message when Eddie can't get "elevated" privileges?

Kind regards

I didn't take a screenshot of the error, but I'll reply to this post with pf rules when it happens next time.

I realized I'm not using 2.21.5 anymore. I got my mac back from apple care and installed eddie with homebrew without thinking about it. Both homebrew and eddie.website provide 2.20.0 - will there be another stable release soon, or is it best to stick with the beta?