Not connected, Your IP: 3.238.84.213
bbqsquirrel

1000 mbit to 30 mbit on Synology DSM 7

I have fiber connection with ATT&T with 1 gbps up and down. I have setup VPN on my Synology DSM 7 using this guide With the VPN turned OFF, speedtests via speedtest.net are in the 800-900 mbps range. With VPN turned ON, it drops to 30-40 mbps. I've tried connecting to a few different servers (including Merope LA and Vulpecula Dallas) with similar results. what gives? this can't be normal right?

4 hours ago, go558a83nk said:

It's probably a bottleneck on your CPU but without knowing what the CPU is in the device I can't say for sure.

Hmm it's a DS920+ which has a Intel Celeron J4125. To further complicate the issue, the VPN is on a DSM7 virtual machine on the DS920+.

Is there any other way I can setup Synology NAS behind the VPN that will minimize the CPU impact?

54 minutes ago, bbqsquirrel said:

the VPN is on a DSM7 virtual machine on the DS920+.

That's probably the principle issue. Unsure if you've given the VM 100% of the CPU, or if the overhead is way too high for performance things.

I skimmed through the linked guide but didn't find anything related to "make a VM and do OpenVPN in it". Did you really follow only that guide? Because it tells you specifically to import the config in Synology's WebUI.

NOT AN AIRVPN TEAM MEMBER. USE TICKETS FOR PROFESSIONAL SUPPORT.

LZ1's New User Guide to AirVPN « Plenty of stuff for advanced users, too!

Want to contact me directly? All relevant methods are on my About me page.

That CPU does have AES-NI which is important for good speeds with openvpn.  But running it in a VM may keep AES-NI from getting used?  I don't know.

You could try to use the chacha20 data cipher option that AirVPN supports if your client supports it.  It's usually faster on weaker devices.

1 hour ago, OpenSourcerer said:

That's probably the principle issue. Unsure if you've given the VM 100% of the CPU, or if the overhead is way too high for performance things.

I skimmed through the linked guide but didn't find anything related to "make a VM and do OpenVPN in it". Did you really follow only that guide? Because it tells you specifically to import the config in Synology's WebUI.

Yes, that's the guide I followed to the t with the exception of doing so inside a VM. I only wanna VPN the VM for various reasons

1 hour ago, go558a83nk said:

That CPU does have AES-NI which is important for good speeds with openvpn.  But running it in a VM may keep AES-NI from getting used?  I don't know.

You could try to use the chacha20 data cipher option that AirVPN supports if your client supports it.  It's usually faster on weaker devices.

chacha cipher was a great suggestion. boosted me to 60mbps down and 90mbps up. I'll have to do a deeper dive into the AES-NI thing, a quick google search didn't turn up anything useful. I'll also try throwing more "cores" at the VM. 

On 10/23/2021 at 3:22 PM, bbqsquirrel said:

chacha cipher was a great suggestion. boosted me to 60mbps down and 90mbps up. I'll have to do a deeper dive into the AES-NI thing, a quick google search didn't turn up anything useful. I'll also try throwing more "cores" at the VM. 

How did you get the chacha cipher working? isn't that >= 2.5? Generator won't let me and if I try to connect with cipher CHACHA20-POLY1305 in ovpn it rejects it because vdsm is running 2.4.9