Not connected, Your IP: 44.204.24.82
MrMnemonic

Please Help Me Reinstall Airvpn

HI everyone, for the last 2 days airvpn was no longer working for me, it wasn't connecting to any servers, it kept re-starting over and over again.

I thought i would reinstall airvpn but for some reason i am unable to reinstall it.

I have been using airvpn for awhile now and cant believe i am unable to reinstall it.

I"m not the most experienced Linux user, i cant figure out how to navigate through a downloads folder with Terminal and stuff like that.

I have download the files which i know i need, but i simply can't get airvpn anymore and cant install from Terminal.

The forum guides i don't understand very well, but some commands i have tried simply dont work for me.

I'm running Ubuntu 16.04.

I have downloaded the eddie debian file and also tried airvpn suite but i can't get anything to work.

If anyone could please help me get airvpn back onto my desktop that would be great thank you.

I understand that your experience with Linux is little, but do realize that you gave very little info to work with. In particular, what I'm asking myself is:

1 hour ago, MrMnemonic said:

I thought i would reinstall airvpn but for some reason i am unable to reinstall it.

What program did you use to uninstall it? What program are you trying to use to install it? What's the error message, if any?

I have download the files which i know i need, but i simply can't get airvpn anymore and cant install from Terminal.

Which commands did you try? Any output, errors in particular?

The forum guides i don't understand very well, but some commands i have tried simply dont work for me.

Which commands did you try? Which guides are you referring to?

I have downloaded the eddie debian file and also tried airvpn suite but i can't get anything to work.

Why is that? Where are you stuck? Any output/errors?

I'm running Ubuntu 16.04.

You should upgrade that immediately, 16.04 stopped getting updates when 20.04 was published last year. Have a look at the Ubuntu Update Manager, you should find this in the menu. If not, in a terminal enter update-manager.

NOT AN AIRVPN TEAM MEMBER. USE TICKETS FOR PROFESSIONAL SUPPORT.

LZ1's New User Guide to AirVPN « Plenty of stuff for advanced users, too!

Want to contact me directly? All relevant methods are on my About me page.

Posted ... (edited)

Hi and thank you for your reply.

I used Terminal to remove airvpn.

When i couldn't reinstall airvpn, i tried reinstalling it with Synaptic Package Manager, but that did nothing.
If i enter (airvpn) into Terminal, airvpn will not appear.

I tried downloading the Eddie VPN Client with Terminal, then with Ubuntu Network manager and Debian Network Manager.
The files downloaded don't give me anything, the only thing that kind of worked was the Mono version, but that actually doesn't work it just goes crazy and wont lock onto a single server.

2-3 days ago my vpn was perfect until it went into a restart mode, it kept restarting over and over again.

I will have to upgrade for sure, i have been putting it off though.
But at the moment i don't want to upgrade, i just need my vpn working.

I heard i have to do a complete reinstall to upgrade Ubuntu and i dont want to do that right now, if it was a simple upgrade like stepping up i would do it, but i know with Ubuntu it needs a fresh install.

I'm just in disbelief i cant get airvpn running anymore.

The Airvpn Suite just gives me a bunch of files i can't use.

The EddieUi files gives a bundle of files, the eddieui.exe files gives me an airvpn window but it doesn't work.
It lets me log in and choose a server, but it wont work just restarts over and over.

I click on Eddie/64bit/Debian Ubuntu/GraphicalUI and doesn't work.
I click on Eddie/64bit/Debian Ubuntu/Command Line and doesn't work.
I click on Eddie/64bit/Portable/GraphicalUI doesn't work.
I click on Eddie/64bit/Portable Mono with either GraphicalUI or Terminal it wont work.

Now when i enter Network Manager it says check my internet connection.

My connection seems fine, but I have taken 5 steps backwards with this now and can't get anywhere.

I don't understand why my Ubuntu can't run airvpn anymore blown away by this actually.

Edited ... by MrMnemonic

9 hours ago, MrMnemonic said:

I used Terminal to remove airvpn.

If that's so, what was the full command? You can view previously entered commands with history.

If i enter (airvpn) into Terminal, airvpn will not appear.

That's because there is no longer an airvpn binary. You must enter eddie-ui.

I tried downloading the Eddie VPN Client with Terminal, then with Ubuntu Network manager and Debian Network Manager.

Again: What are the commands you used?
And you mean you tried to connect to AirVPN using NetworkManager? Because NetworkManager doesn't download anything per se. Bit of misleading information there, please try to be more precise.
I'm not trying to be an arse, I still don't know where you went wrong with your actions.

I heard i have to do a complete reinstall to upgrade Ubuntu and i dont want to do that right now, if it was a simple upgrade like stepping up i would do it, but i know with Ubuntu it needs a fresh install.

This is essentially wrong info. The Update Manager can perform a full in-place release upgrade of your Ubuntu system. It does not need a fresh install.

The Airvpn Suite just gives me a bunch of files i can't use.

The AirVPN Suite gives you an install script you can execute. The process is guided. Should you require help with that, ask directly for it.

The EddieUi files gives a bundle of files, the eddieui.exe files gives me an airvpn window but it doesn't work.
It lets me log in and choose a server, but it wont work just restarts over and over.

I click on Eddie/64bit/Debian Ubuntu/GraphicalUI and doesn't work.
I click on Eddie/64bit/Debian Ubuntu/Command Line and doesn't work.
I click on Eddie/64bit/Portable/GraphicalUI doesn't work.
I click on Eddie/64bit/Portable Mono with either GraphicalUI or Terminal it wont work.

Again, such descriptions are next to useless. The logs will have info more knowledgable people can actually work with.

I don't understand why my Ubuntu can't run airvpn anymore blown away by this actually.

I bet it's something trivial, but no one knows because there is no technical info to work with.

I wrote a small script for you to execute. It wil remove Eddie and reinstall it in a safe way. If it fails at any step, you'll be notified and can say what the error is exactly.
Download it to your desktop. Open a terminal and enter cd ~/Desktop. Then chmod a+x eddie.sh. Then ./eddie.sh (it's a dot, slash in the beginning there). I hope this helps in some way.

eddie.sh

Hi and many thanks for your reply.

I took your advice and installed Ubuntu 20.04 today, so I'm up and running again. 

Thanks again for your help! : )

3 hours ago, MrMnemonic said:

I took your advice and installed Ubuntu 20.04 today, so I'm up and running again. 

Does this mean Eddie works again, too?

Yes indeed, Eddie works great, everything just seemed to work compared to my old 16.04.

Only weird thing that happened after the install was i am no longer able to use PGP encryption, the new OS doesn't like it for some reason.

So my old GPG4USB had all the keys wiped clean and the programme no longer works, that was the only thing that shocked me.. 

21 hours ago, MrMnemonic said:

So my old GPG4USB had all the keys wiped clean and the programme no longer works, that was the only thing that shocked me.. 

I don't see such a package in the official repositories of Ubuntu. Are you sure it's not deprecated/obsolete? Specialized wikis like ubuntuusers.de (German) remark that it uses an old version of GPG and should not be used.