Not connected, Your IP: 44.222.220.101

I'd like utorrent to start automatically when Eddie connects and to shut down should Eddie lose a connection or I disconnect. I see there is an "events" section in the settings and I've tried to use this but only crashed Eddie on re-start. Any help please?

Shouldn't crash Eddie. Which version are you on and what exactly did you set there?

NOT AN AIRVPN TEAM MEMBER. USE TICKETS FOR PROFESSIONAL SUPPORT.

LZ1's New User Guide to AirVPN « Plenty of stuff for advanced users, too!

Want to contact me directly? All relevant methods are on my About me page.

Hi, Eddie working again now, I'm on version 2.20.0 with windows 10  I tried App Start, Session Start and VPN Up options, but instead of Eddie starting it seemed to be stuck whilst the program (utorrent) started to run. Which event settings should I use to make utorrent start and end with the VPN connection? thanks

42 minutes ago, bestinshow said:

Which event settings should I use to make utorrent start and end with the VPN connection?

VPN Up: "\path\to\utorrent.exe"
VPN Down: taskkill.exe \IM "utorrent.exe" \F
OR
VPN Down: powershell.exe Stop-Process -Name "utorrent.exe" -Force

42 minutes ago, bestinshow said:

I tried App Start, Session Start and VPN Up options

To help you make a more informed decision where to put what in the future:
App Start and End is when Eddie is launched and closed.
Session Start is on connection until you manually press Disconnect.
VPN Pre, Up and Down are triggered on every connection, even when you lose the VPN connection and OpenVPN reconnects.

Tried the event settings today, unfortunately as before still no result. Placing the path to utorrent in the VPN up field starts utorrent but leaves Eddie stuck with the message "running event vpn.up" in the overview screen with no way to see the status or to disconnect from Eddie any more. I'm going back to using third party app vpnetmon.

Interesting, but actually not surprising as this feature was made to execute scripts. Scripts terminate at the end of the file, uTorrent as a program doesn't. So you need to enter a command that terminates after execution, and I think I found something in PowerShell:

powershell.exe Start-Process path\to\utorrent.exe

Thanks but I've gone back to using the vpnetmon app, simple to use and reliable. Would be good if the Eddie developers could add this feature in future in a user friendly way, being able to simply execute and terminate a program when running I think is a pretty basic requirement

Nope, it's a luxury, not something a VPN program really needs. Besides, it's implemented, as you tried to use it.
Have fun with the app.

11 hours ago, bestinshow said:

Tried the event settings today, unfortunately as before still no result. Placing the path to utorrent in the VPN up field starts utorrent but leaves Eddie stuck

Hello,

Eddie can run scripts and binaries when certain events take place and:
  1. wait for the script/binary/whatever run by the event to return an exit code, OR
  2. run & forget & move on (no wait, defined as asynchronous mode in the documentation)

From your description you needed solution 2, with a kill to the same process at the next suitable event. About the kill, do as @OpenSourcerer wrote in a previous message.

Would be good if the Eddie developers could add this feature in future in a user friendly way, being able to simply execute and terminate a program when running I think is a pretty basic requirement

Yes, the feature you want was implemented in 2014 or so, but it needs to be documented.for the GUI. Currently it's documented on the CLI guide and on the man. Anyway now you know and it's quite intuitive, enjoy!

https://eddie.website/support/cli/

See:
  • event.app.start.filename - Filename of the script/executable to launch on event.
  • event.app.start.arguments - Arguments of the script/executable.
  • event.app.start.waitend - Use True if the software needs to wait the end (synchronous) or False to be asynchronous. Default: True
  • event.app.stop.filename - Filename of the script/executable to launch on event.
  • event.app.stop.arguments - Arguments of the script/executable.
  • event.app.stop.waitend - Use True if the software needs to wait the end (synchronous) or False to be asynchronous. Default: True
etc.

You can achieve all of the above in the GUI too. Can you verify whether the unexpected crash (we can't reproduce it) persists with Eddie 2.21 beta version? If so, would you be so kind to send us the whole crash message? To download Eddie latest beta version please see here:
https://airvpn.org/forums/topic/49638-eddie-desktop-221-beta-released/

Kind regards

Thanks for the additional info, I'm not upgrading to the beta version at the moment as I'm happy with Eddie in conjunction with VPNetMon (less challenging for my know how at present!). As mentioned above trying to run utorrent from the "vpnup" setting resulted in  the  message "running event vpn.up" on the overview screen, no further message, and Eddie was stuck at this point, not finishing its start up whilst utorrent itself did start. Hope eventually you can make this a bit more user friendly as we are not all experts or can use the command line, best wishes

13 hours ago, bestinshow said:

Thanks for the additional info, I'm not upgrading to the beta version at the moment as I'm happy with Eddie in conjunction with VPNetMon (less challenging for my know how at present!).

Hello!

In this case just send us, if you have time and will, the crash message from Eddie 2.20.

An important suggestion: you should never use VPNetMon. it is insecure by design, not able to prevent most types of leaks (wrong binding, UPnP, NAT-PMP... by your torrent software) and it's dangerous, as it may kill forcefully applications causing their data corruption in your HDD/SSD. Furthermore it is not able to prevent leaks, not even in ordinary disconnections if it can't detect them, if the CPU has a high load, or if the app hangs. Use Network Lock instead. Activate it before you start a connection by clicking the big button on the main Eddie window. Network Lock prevents any type of leaks, even if Eddie or OpenVPN crash, because it is a set of firewall rules.

As mentioned above trying to run utorrent from the "vpnup" setting resulted in  the  message "running event vpn.up" on the overview screen, no further message, and Eddie was stuck at this point, not finishing its start up whilst utorrent itself did start. Hope eventually you can make this a bit more user friendly as we are not all experts or can use the command line, best wishes

Eddie was not stuck, it was just waiting for the application to return an exit code. You can tell Eddie to not wait and go on as we wrote. In this case Eddie will run the application only, and will immediately forget it and move on. When you define the command for an event, the window shows "Wait end of process". By default it is ticked. You can de-tick it in order to make Eddie not wait for the end of the process. We don't see how we could make it "a bit more user friendly"... anyway, now you know.

Kind regards

OK thanks, in view of your comments on VpNetMon, when I get time I'll give Eddie's "event" setting another try! Yes have started using the lock facility with Eddie, just wanted to auto start utorrent also on computer boot. Of course one man's user friendly is another man's learning curve 🙂

On 9/13/2021 at 7:42 AM, bestinshow said:

I'd like utorrent to start automatically when Eddie connects and to shut down should Eddie lose a connection or I disconnect.

I suggest you instead use a client that will lock itself onto a network interface (VPN in this case).

10 hours ago, Stalinium said:
On 9/13/2021 at 3:42 PM, bestinshow said:

I'd like utorrent to start automatically when Eddie connects and to shut down should Eddie lose a connection or I disconnect.

I suggest you instead use a client that will lock itself onto a network interface (VPN in this case).

Always used utorrent, do you have a torrent client in mind to try?

5 hours ago, bestinshow said:

Qbittorent

1 hour ago, Marasuma said:
3 hours ago, bestinshow said:

Qbittorent
Thanks I'll check it out,  the old utorrent 2.2.1 is a bit dated now, especially if Qbittorrent has a security lock