Not connected, Your IP: 3.145.130.31
bestinshow

Route command in Eddie

I've been having problems with openvpn since I re-installed windows so using Eddie now, seems good but not sure about the Routes setting, where I'm trying to whitelist certain websites which don't play well with seeing a vpn. This command seemed to work OK with openvpn but not sure with Eddie. To test if its working I used to route round an IP address checker eg https://www.whatismyip.com so that I could see if my routing was working and my real IP and location would come up. With Eddie if I enter "www.whatismyip.com in the IP/Host field I get an error message. I've tried to look up the IP address of this site and entered that which Eddie accepts, but on checking at whatsmyip it still shows my vpn address and not my real one as it should, any ideas??

www.whatismyip.com returns two v4 and two v6 addresses for me.

$ dig any in www.whatismyip.com.

; <<>> DiG 9.16.20 <<>> any in www.whatismyip.com.
;; global options: +cmd
;; Got answer:
;; ->>HEADER<<- opcode: QUERY, status: NOERROR, id: 36776
;; flags: qr rd ra; QUERY: 1, ANSWER: 4, AUTHORITY: 0, ADDITIONAL: 1

;; OPT PSEUDOSECTION:
; EDNS: version: 0, flags:; udp: 4096
;; QUESTION SECTION:
;www.whatismyip.com.            IN      ANY

;; ANSWER SECTION:
www.whatismyip.com.     190     IN      A       104.27.194.88
www.whatismyip.com.     190     IN      A       104.27.195.88
www.whatismyip.com.     190     IN      AAAA    2606:4700:21::681b:c258
www.whatismyip.com.     190     IN      AAAA    2606:4700:21::681b:c358

;; Query time: 48 msec
;; SERVER: 192.168.110.22#53(192.168.110.22)
;; WHEN: Thu Sep 09 21:12:04 CEST 2021
;; MSG SIZE  rcvd: 135

Try adding all four.

2 hours ago, bestinshow said:

With Eddie if I enter "www.whatismyip.com in the IP/Host field I get an error message.

You shouldn't enter domain names. They get resolved once, at connect time, and the result used. If the results change while being connected because there's a load balancer in there you didn't know about the routing "breaks", as in, that situation was not accounted for.

NOT AN AIRVPN TEAM MEMBER. USE TICKETS FOR PROFESSIONAL SUPPORT.

LZ1's New User Guide to AirVPN « Plenty of stuff for advanced users, too!

Want to contact me directly? All relevant methods are on my About me page.

Thanks didn't think this would work at first but it seems to have after entering both IPv4 addresses and re-starting Eddie! My only question is how did you get these addresses, I'm only getting one? Is "$ dig" a linux command, how do I find the addresses via windows? By the way Eddie wouldn't accept the IP6 addresses nor will it accept a domain name, so the comment about using names being insecure won't have chance to be risked!

Is "$ dig" a linux command, how do I find the addresses via windows?

nslookup should return all A and AAAA addresses using the second command. If not, try the first command first, then the second:
> nslookup set type=any
> nslookup www.whatismyip.com

By the way Eddie wouldn't accept the IP6 addresses nor will it accept a domain name, so the comment about using names being insecure won't have chance to be risked!

The route directive of OpenVPN only fully works with v4 addresses (that directive is what is used behind the scene). The counterpart directive for v6 instead configures only which v6 addresses to route via VPN, but if all v6 traffic is routed through VPN, anyway, there's no sense in setting it.
Also, if something doesn't work in Eddie, you can always try a custom OpenVPN directive.

And domain names are not insecure, they're inaccurate.

Thanks the nslookup command works perfectly, didn't know about that. Yeah, was using openvpn and modifying the config file to include route commands but after my windows meltdown and re-installation whilst openvpn was showing in windows as connected ti actually wasn't as my real ip was still showing up on ip checker sites. So don't know what's been going on there, whether its windows 10 or I need to re-install openvpn. Anyway if routing working with Eddie it may be better.... Thanks again for your help

Enable Network Lock in Eddie, and such problems should be of the past.