Not connected, Your IP: 18.191.254.0
roranicus

I need help diagnosing an IP leak

I'm getting an IP leak, and I'm not sure how to diagnose it. First of all, whenever I use https://ipleak.net/ it only gives me the VPN address. Yet, my ISP can see what I'm doing, as I got a notice about torrenting activity on my network. I'm not sure how to diagnose this. OS is Debian Bullseye

Could another machine on my home network see the traffic? I set up a shared folder with Samba. Did I miss some configuration element?
Could Deluge (my torrent client) somehow be bypassing my VPN?

I'm honestly pretty worried about this. How should I go about diagnosing this problem?

11 hours ago, roranicus said:

Could Deluge (my torrent client) somehow be bypassing my VPN?

With an incomplete configuration, definitely. Have you tried the torrent test on IPLeak to see if Deluge actually uses the VPN? It could be Deluge binding to the physical NIC, causing this "leak".
Should you be using Eddie, NetLock usually prevents such cases.

NOT AN AIRVPN TEAM MEMBER. USE TICKETS FOR PROFESSIONAL SUPPORT.

LZ1's New User Guide to AirVPN « Plenty of stuff for advanced users, too!

Want to contact me directly? All relevant methods are on my About me page.

4 minutes ago, OpenSourcerer said:

With an incomplete configuration, definitely. Have you tried the torrent test on IPLeak to see if Deluge actually uses the VPN? It could be Deluge binding to the physical NIC, causing this "leak".
Should you be using Eddie, NetLock usually prevents such cases.

Always, not usually.

Kind regards

I tried multiple torrent IP leak tests, and they all saw only the VPN. In the meantime, I played around with my Samba configuration to further restrict what's visible on the network, and I tried to packet sniff on a different computer while running deluge. I don't think I saw anything.

Is there a different test that can show me what my ISP is seeing? Mostly, I'm looking for a diagnostics tool so I know where to look.

On 8/24/2021 at 1:33 PM, roranicus said:

Is there a different test that can show me what my ISP is seeing? Mostly, I'm looking for a diagnostics tool so I know where to look.

Hack into the ISP? :)
I believe what you experienced was that one time when your connection, for now unknown reasons, did not truly go via VPN. As written, consider using Eddie with NetLock engaged.

NOT AN AIRVPN TEAM MEMBER. USE TICKETS FOR PROFESSIONAL SUPPORT.

LZ1's New User Guide to AirVPN « Plenty of stuff for advanced users, too!

Want to contact me directly? All relevant methods are on my About me page.