Not connected, Your IP: 44.203.235.24
Staff

Eddie Android edition 2.5 Release Candidate is available

Hello!

We're very glad to inform you that Eddie Android edition 2.5 alpha beta is available.

UPDATE 2021-09-14: Alpha 2 is now available.
UPDATE 2021-11-10: Alpha 3 is now available.
UPDATE 2021-12-10: Beta 1 is now available.
UPDATE 2021-12-17: Release Candidate 1 is now available.

UPDATE 2021.-12-24: 2.5 has been released. Topic locked, let's move to

# sha256sum org.airvpn.eddie-2.5-RC1-Unsigned.apk 
2133a81c584ca7a20c930824b5823d1c882492a0bc23e22cd64c8f44ce839d1c  org.airvpn.eddie-2.5-RC1-Unsigned.apk

What's new in Eddie 2.5 RC 1

• updated to the latest OpenVPN3-AirVPN and asio libraries
  • extensive native library rewrite and revision for higher efficiency
  • improved VPN concurrency management
  • global objects enhanced instance handling
  • linked against OpenSSL 1.1.1l (*)
  • full integration with VPN traffic leaks prevention by system in Android 7 or higher version
  • full compatibility with Android 10, 11 and 12, including ability to start and connect from a profile during device bootstrap 
  • ability to start and connect during bootstrap (if Master Password is disabled) according to a priority list which includes automatic choice, your defined country and your defined server
  • ability to select directly an area (country, continent, planet) to connect to
  • on the fly language change allowing to switch language without re-starting application
  • unification of connection parameters between settings and server settings: changes on one side are mirrored to the other so that no discrepancy occurs anymore
  • improved login credentials prompt: if wrong credentials are entered, the prompt is proposed again even when "Remember me" is selected
  • VPN lock option off by default
  • Opt-in Master Password which remains off by default
  • TLS minimum required version set to 1.2 by default
  • option to select an OpenVPN boot profile in Android 7 or higher version
  • VPN lock is forced to off and cannot be activated if "Block connection without VPN" is enabled in Android 8 or higher version system settings
  • connection restore now allows re-connection during the device bootstrap from the last active or default OpenVPN profile. It requires "VPN Always On" system setting active and Android 7 or higher version
  • Force AES-CBC suite option has been removed
  • compatibility with Android 5.1 and higher version has been maintained
  • bug fixes solving various issues, including the crash occurring on specific devices when some contextual menu item to connect was selected
  • new option to skip a single promotional message ("Do not show anymore") has been implemented, without prejudice to future promotional messages
  • manifest permissions modified in order to populate correctly app black and white lists in Android 11 and 12
  • check the changelog at the end of the message

(*) Eddie 2.4 was linked against mbedTLS library. Such a major change has been adopted to offer TLS 1.3 and slightly higher performance both with AES and CHACHA20 cipher suites. Please do not hesitate to report any variation in battery life and performance in your device compared to Eddie 2.4.

Important note for Android TV users. In Android 10, 11 and 12, a VPN application can start and connect during the device bootstrap if and only if "Always on VPN" option is active. Unfortunately the option is not available in Android TV 10, 11 and 12. Therefore the ability to start at boot is lost. OpenVPN for Android and openvpn-connect applications are affected by the same constraint.

For a complete list of Eddie Android edition features please see here:
https://gitlab.com/AirVPN/EddieAndroid

Special thanks in advance to all users who will test Eddie Android edition 2.5 alpha and beta versions!

Changelog 2.5 RC 1 (VC 26) - Release date: 17 December 2021 by ProMIND

- [ProMIND] Added "QUERY_ALL_PACKAGES" permission to the manifest

- [ProMIND] Minimum TLS level now defaults to 1.2
- [ProMIND] VPN Lock is now off by default
- [ProMIND] Removed force aes-cbc suite option
- [ProMIND] Native library updated to the latest dependencies
- [ProMIND] "AirVPN profile" has been renamed to "AirVPN Key"
- [ProMIND] All android devices having at least API level 24 (Android 7) are now fully managed by Android system VPN facilities (including "VPN Always On" and "Block Connections without VPN")
- [ProMIND] In case a connected OpenVPN profile is about an AirVPN server, the name is shown across the whole app instead if the IP
- [ProMIND] Compression is now off by default
- [ProMIND] Language override is now immediate and does not need app restart anymore

Native Library

- [ProMIND] Updated to OpenVPN3 3.7.1 AirVPN
- [ProMIND] Moved to version 1.4 (Complete revision of code, structure and naming scheme)
- [ProMIND] Moved all header files in eddie directory into include directory
- [ProMIND] Renamed several 1.0 classes and members to more solid names
- [ProMIND] Removed all references to boost library functions and switched to standard C++ equivalents

api.cpp

- [ProMIND] Added sslLibraryVersion() function

api.hpp

- [ProMIND] Added sslLibraryVersion() function

client.cpp  (Native library)

- [ProMIND] Implemented private method releaseJniCallbackObject()
- [ProMIND] Switched to instance model management for JNI callback object
- [ProMIND] removed tun_builder_set_block_ipv6() function
- [ProMIND] added tun_builder_set_allow_family() function

client.hpp  (Native library)

- [ProMIND] Added private method releaseJniCallbackObject()
- [ProMIND] removed tun_builder_set_block_ipv6() function
- [ProMIND] added tun_builder_set_allow_family() function

common.h  (Native library)

- [ProMIND] New file. It defines all common macros and includes

constants.cpp  (Native library)

- [ProMIND] removed file

constants.h  (Native library)

- [ProMIND] removed file

macros.h  (Native library)

- [ProMIND] removed file

stdafx.h  (Native library)

- [ProMIND] removed file

types.h  (Native library)

- [ProMIND] removed file

utils.cpp (Native library)

- [ProMIND] Removed all C function and reimplemented as relative class methods
- [ProMIND] Most of methods and functions have been rewritten from scratch
- [ProMIND] Removed all references to boost library functions and switched to standard C++ equivalents

AirVPNManifest.java

- [ProMIND] Added method getServerByIP()
- [ProMIND] Added method getFullServerDescription(String name)
- [ProMIND] Added method getFullServerDescriptionByIP(String ip)
- [ProMIND] Added method isEncrypted()
- [ProMIND] Added Continent stats
- [ProMIND] Added "Do not show again" methods for manifest messages

AirVPNUser.java

- [ProMIND] Added method isEncrypted()
- [ProMIND] private class getUserLocation is now aware of current local country setting
- [ProMIND] Added method reloadUserLocation()

AirVPNServerProvider.java

- [ProMIND] added "DEFAULT" case to getUserConnectionPriority() method

AirVPNServerSettingsActivity.java

- [ProMIND] TLS, Protocol, Port and IP Version are now linked to their relative default options

BootVPNActivity.java

- [ProMIND] Revamped VPN connection boot logics. It now supports AirVPN best server, AirVPN default server and AirVPN default country and improved management of default OpenVPN profile and last active connection

ConnectAirVPNServerFragment.java

- [ProMIND] Added default AirVPN items management
- [ProMIND] Added direct connection to country's best server via context menu
- [ProMIND] Added direct connection to continent and world best servers
- [ProMIND] exportOpenVPNProfile() now exports profiles both to internal databse and external file
- [ProMIND] Added export continent, country and server profile to file

ConnectOpenVpnProfileFragment.java

- [ProMIND] Added "set" and "unset" boot in context menu for OpenVPN profiles

CountryContinent.java

- [ProMIND] Added methods getTreeMapCountry and countryCount()
- [ProMIND] Added methods getTreeMaoContinent() and continentCount()

EddieApplication.java

- [ProMIND] Initialization log messages are now sent once at the first run of the app instance
- [ProMIND] Classes SettingsManager, EddieLogger, SupportTools, VPNManager, MainActivity, CountryContinent, AirVPNManifest, AirVPNUser and NetworkStatusReceiver are now instantiated here and the unique instance is used all over the app
- [ProMIND] Checks whether manifest and user's data files are encrypted and sets "Enable Master Password" setting accordingly
- [ProMIND] Added method isVisible() returning whether the app is in foreground or visible

EddieEvent.java

- [ProMIND] Removed generic onAirVPNIgnoredDocumentRequest
- [ProMIND] Added onAirVPNIgnoredManifestDocumentRequest and onAirVPNIgnoredUserDocumentRequest
- [ProMIND] Added onAirVPNRequestError event

EddieEventListener.java

- [ProMIND] Removed generic onAirVPNIgnoredDocumentRequest
- [ProMIND] Added onAirVPNIgnoredManifestDocumentRequest and onAirVPNIgnoredUserDocumentRequest
- [ProMIND] Added onAirVPNRequestError event

EddieLogger.java

- [ProMIND] Added instance and context support in order to keep the log across multiple runs belonging to the same app instance

LogActivity.java

- [ProMIND] Added "Clear log" button

MainActivity.java

- [ProMIND] At startup check whether system's "Block connections without VPN" setting is enable, if so VPN Lock is disabled and show a dialog
- [ProMIND] Added new VPN Statuses management
- [ProMIND] AirVPN Manifest messages are now shown only in case they have the "do not show again" flag turned off
- [ProMIND] Max reconnection retries now supports infinite

OpenVPNProfileDatabase.java

- [ProMIND] Added "boot" element and relative methods
- [ProMIND] Added "airVPNServerName" element and relative methods
- [ProMIND] Added "airVPNServerLocation" element and relative methods
- [ProMIND] Added "airVPNServerCountry" element and relative methods

SettingsActivity.java

- [ProMIND] In case system's "Block connections without VPN" setting is enable, VPN Lock is disabled and hidden
- [ProMIND] Added controls for new settings
- [ProMIND] Revised language change setting and adapted to new Android levels. The change is now immediate and does not require restart anymore
- [ProMIND] Added infinite to max reconnection retries setting

SettingsManager.java

- [ProMIND] Added SYSTEM_IS_ALWAYS_ON_VPN and SYSTEM_VPN_LOCKOWN internal settings and relative get/set methods
- [ProMIND] Added AIRVPN_CURRENT_LOCAL_COUNTRY and AIRVPN_CURRENT_LOCAL_COUNTRY_DEFAULT internal settings and relative get/set methods
- [ProMIND] Added AIRVPN_DO_NOT_SHOW_AGAIN_MESSAGES and AIRVPN_DO_NOT_SHOW_AGAIN_MESSAGES_DEFAULT internal settings and relative get/set methods

VPN.java

- [ProMIND] Added CONNECTION_CANCELED to Status enum

VPNManager.java

- [ProMIND] Improved VPN concurrency management

VPNService.java

- [ProMIND] Check "VPN Always On" and "Block connections without VPN" system options and set Eddie's internal options accordingly

WebViewerActivity.java

- [ProMIND] http: and https: links are now opened by invoking the external browser
- [ProMIND] Added bottom "Do not show again" layout bar
- [ProMIND] Restore language/locale to the app setting and reverts Chrome/WebView default locale override

Kind regards and datalove
AirVPN Staff

Posted ... (edited)

Greetings!

Thanks for another Android release - possibly long overdue but very welcome.

I want to test but you haven't listed any hashes to compare APK against. I also usually check source code before installation also (Eddie desktop beta source code is already on Github for example), I may even go through the effort of building the code myself if I am super-paranoid, understandably the alpha may not be suitable but I'd like to provide feedback!

I'd also like to push for Eddie on F-droid, competitor VPN apps are there and would be a welcome and appreciated addition for those that use it exclusively :).

I also want to ask (if I am able to get a reply on the record) if Eddie Android will eventually support Wireguard? It was announced WG testing is in September for desktop and I've found (from using competitors) WG does use less battery (even if it's not native kernel-space just yet), but maybe that's just my perception?

Thanks again and look forward to testing soon.

Edited ... by airvpnforumuser

13 hours ago, 183aTr78f9o said:

So far so good (Android 11).
The app no longer crashes when trying to connect to another server while being connected. On previous versions, I had to manually disconnect before connecting to the desired server, else Eddie would crash.

Can confirm this works as expected here.
I'll see how it goes as far as battery life and performance go. Any chance for a dark theme some day?

Hello!

We are very glad to know it.

We had not thought about a dark theme, but we can consider it.

Thank you for your current and future reports on battery life, performance and anything else!

Kind regards

13 hours ago, airvpnforumuser said:

I want to test but you haven't listed any hashes to compare APK against.

Hello!

We have now added it in the announcement. Thank you in advance for your tests!

I'd also like to push for Eddie on F-droid

Currently it's not in our plans but we can re-consider in the future.

I also want to ask (if I am able to get a reply on the record) if Eddie Android will eventually support Wireguard?

Yes, our plans include Wireguard support by Eddie Android edition after the beta testing on the infrastructure from desktop clients has begun.

Kind regards

On 8/20/2021 at 10:30 PM, airvpnforumuser said:

I also usually check source code before installation also (Eddie desktop beta source code is already on Github for example), I may even go through the effort of building the code myself if I am super-paranoid, understandably the alpha may not be suitable but I'd like to provide feedback!

Hello!

We apologize for the late reply about the quoted comment: we do not publish source code of alpha, beta, RC etc. versions, but only of stable releases.

Kind regards

Hi

Similar to @183aTr78f9o the software is stable and works to be honest even better than previous versions (connecting is much faster).

Although I want to request an option to remove the infuriating 'master password' - I understand why it's there but I wonder if it prevents the VPN auto-starting on system boot (I don't use OVPN profiles) and personally when the VPN does have issues (rarely, admittedly, perhaps OOM kills the VPN which has happened under low memory pressures...Android is so good at dealing with that /s) it's just a PITA to have to type it in every time, I'd be okay with a finger-print to be honest (even to open the app).

So yeah, aside from that, all is good. I'd like as always an ability to communicate with all my devices via a 'bus' or something (so as to send commands to any connected VPN node, such as dc/rc, change countries, etc etc), so far being able to send arbitrary commands using any client seems out-of-reach (API is okay, but needs broader access).

@airvpnforumuser

Yes, the option to not use the Master Password will be implemented. Not in alpha 2 but probably during the beta stage. Anyway, it will be implemented before we reach the stable release.

perhaps OOM kills the VPN which has happened under low memory pressures...

Maybe. Would you like to collect the logcat (and send it to us) just after the problem has occurred, so we can verify what happens exactly? Hopefully it's not a crash for some Eddie bug but let's see, alpha and beta testing aim at finding out bugs. :)

Feel free to keep us informed.
https://developer.android.com/studio/command-line/logcat

Kind regards

On 8/31/2021 at 11:45 AM, Staff said:

Yes, the option to not use the Master Password will be implemented. Not in alpha 2 but probably during the beta stage. Anyway, it will be implemented before we reach the stable release.

Best news in a long time!

Hello!

We're very glad to inform you that the alpha 2 version is now available. It implements new features you can check on the first thread post and an extensive rewrite of the native library. Please find the download URL and all the news on the first post.

Thank you very much for your tests! Please report any glitch, bug and unexpected behavior!

Kind regards

The Eddie version currently on Play Store still has compression enabled by default. It's been a while since a vulnerability has been known (VORACLE if I'm right) I think it's best to disable and remove the option completely because practical gains from compression are negligible at best (most traffic is TLS or otherwise incompressible).

Bug: When using master password disabled mode, the option to select a 'key' disappears, I need to scroll to the right a few times then back before it re-appears.

Also, with the master password disabled, can the app be made to connect automatically now on boot?

2 minutes ago, airvpnforumuser said:

Bug: When using master password disabled mode, the option to select a 'key' disappears, I need to scroll to the right a few times then back before it re-appears.

Also, with the master password disabled, can the app be made to connect automatically now on boot?

Hello!

1. Thank you very much for your tests and bug report! We will check and fix.

2, Yes. Next version (either alpha 3 or beta 1, we'll see) will offer a range of options to start Eddie and have your device connected to AirVPN even without profiles, when the Master Password is disabled, during the bootstrap.

Kind regards

@airvpnforumuser

Hello!

We have failed so far to reproduce the problem you reported. Can you please tell us your device brand and model, and your exact Android version? You could also send us the first lines of Eddie log where thorough system information is printed. Thanks in advance!

Kind regards

Hello,

Thank you for all the work on this new version! I'm happy like many others with the option to disable the master password, as well as VPN lock - I do understand the privacy implications but for me, like I'm sure for others, losing connectivity and not regaining it unless I happen to notice it's gone is unfortunately simply not an option day-to-day.

I'd like to report a few issues I've encountered:

1) Even though it worked the first one or two times, the quick connect button no longer works, and fails with "reached end of server list", and another message behind it - I'm attaching screenshots as well. Even though the second message blames the existence of other VPN apps on the device, that seems to me unlikely to be the issue as manually selecting a server to connect to works fine.

2) Eddie does not detect a total loss of connectivity - e.g. disabling both WiFi and data. The connection timer keeps going, and on reconnection to the Internet the phone has no indication of being connected to the VPN.

3) The app selector for the blacklist/whitelist only displays system apps, and not user-installed apps.

4) Just discovered, clicking the share button on the Eddie log crashes the app (and kills the tunnel).

The phone is Sony Xperia II (XQ-AT51), on Android 11 (updated to 1 August 2021).

error1.png

error2.png

9 hours ago, Agrock said:

Hello,

Thank you for all the work on this new version! I'm happy like many others with the option to disable the master password, as well as VPN lock - I do understand the privacy implications but for me, like I'm sure for others, losing connectivity and not regaining it unless I happen to notice it's gone is unfortunately simply not an option day-to-day.

Hello and thank you very much for your tests!

This is no more a problem in Android 8 and higher versions. Do not turn VPN Lock on, but enable "Always on VPN" and its sub-option "Block traffic not in the VPN tunnel" in the Android settings. You will have complete leaks prevention and ability to re-connect, without leaks between disconnection and re-connection, in case of unexpected disconnection.

We will investigate on the other bugs you found. We guess that you can't send us Eddie's log because in your system the "share" button crashes the app when tapped, right? What about a logcat, do you have the option to take it and send it to us after you have reproduced the various problems including the crash? https://www.siteforinfotech.com/capture-android-logs-minimal-adb-and-fastboot/

Kind regards

On 9/28/2021 at 3:17 PM, Staff said:
@airvpnforumuser

Hello!

We have failed so far to reproduce the problem you reported. Can you please tell us your device brand and model, and your exact Android version? You could also send us the first lines of Eddie log where thorough system information is printed. Thanks in advance!

Kind regards

Sent a ticket

On 9/25/2021 at 12:45 PM, Staff said:
2, Yes. Next version (either alpha 3 or beta 1, we'll see) will offer a range of options to start Eddie and have your device connected to AirVPN even without profiles, when the Master Password is disabled, during the bootstrap.

Does this mean for Android TV 10+ as well?

The inability to have VPN auto-connect during boot, like on Android TV 9, is a real bummer and something that would be greatly appreciated.

@apero

We confirm what we wrote in our initial message, we're sorry.

Important note for Android TV users. In Android 10 and 11, a VPN application can start and connect during the device bootstrap if and only if "Always on VPN" option is active. Unfortunately the option is not available in Android TV 10 and 11. Therefore the ability to start at boot is lost. OpenVPN for Android and openvpn-connect applications are affected by the same constraint.

@apero

The inability to have VPN auto-connect during boot, like on Android TV 9, is a real bummer and something that would be greatly appreciated.

No doubts, but it's the system that's designed to prevent VPN connections at boot, and we loosely suspect that it's a deliberate choice. Remember that you have very limited control on "your" Android TV device, with limited privileges. We would be glad to implement some hack to allow connection at boot; so far we did not find any, unfortunately.

Kind regards

On 9/30/2021 at 9:16 AM, Staff said:

Hello and thank you very much for your tests!

This is no more a problem in Android 8 and higher versions. Do not turn VPN Lock on, but enable "Always on VPN" and its sub-option "Block traffic not in the VPN tunnel" in the Android settings. You will have complete leaks prevention and ability to re-connect, without leaks between disconnection and re-connection, in case of unexpected disconnection.

We will investigate on the other bugs you found. We guess that you can't send us Eddie's log because in your system the "share" button crashes the app when tapped, right? What about a logcat, do you have the option to take it and send it to us after you have reproduced the various problems including the crash? https://www.siteforinfotech.com/capture-android-logs-minimal-adb-and-fastboot/

Kind regards

Hello,

I have managed to reproduce issues #1 (quick connect button not working) and #3 (only system app selection for blacklist). Frustratingly, I can't right now reproduce #2 (VPN does not detect loss of connectivity), even though it's possibly the most important one, and it did happen again in the meantime while I wasn't collecting logs. I also can't reproduce #4 as I can now share Eddie's log - at least that's useful! I'm attaching both the Eddie log and the logcat - the period of interest is after 17:32 UTC (in the Eddie log) and 18:32 localtime (in the logcat). The only actions I performed were trying the quick start button, which failed to connect, and then displaying the blacklist app selection list. Please let me know whether this is helpful, and if there is anything else I can provide.

As the logs do contain some personally identifying information, I am emailing them separately to support.

P.S.: I think it's unlikely this is relevant, but for full disclosure the phone has, since my original report, been updated to the 1 September 2021 security update.

Hello!

We're glad to inform you that Eddie 2.5 Alpha 3 is now available. It includes the ability to start and connect during bootstrap (if Master Password is disabled) according to a priority list which includes automatic choice, your defined country and your defined server, on top of the usual ability to start and connect at bootstrap via a profile. The feature is available in Android versions from 5.1 to 12, and in Android TV versions from 5.1 to 9. The feature is lost in Android TV 10 and 11 due to unavailable operations on Android systems lacking "Always on VPN" option.

Eddie 2.5 Alpha 3 is now linked against OpenSSL 1.1.1l and also features several bug fixes, including bugs reported in this thread. The first post has been updated to show the correct URL of the latest apk and its checksum.

Please keep testing and report malfunctions and bugs, thank you in advance!

Kind regards

Bug report: No matter what, even using different OS on Android, the VPN does not start on reboot with the option selected and master password disabled. I need to manually open the app to start the connection.

Using a Pixel device, latest Alpha

@airvpnforumuser

Hello and thank you for your tests and the bug report!

Please make sure that "Always on VPN" is enabled for Eddie, as it is a mandatory option to let a VPN app start during bootstrap in latest Android releases.

If that option is enabled and the problem persists, can you please share with us the log as soon as you have manually launched Eddie? And if possible, it would be more important than the log, can you please send us the logcat starting from the initial bootstrap?

Kind regards

Hello!

We're very glad to inform you that beta 1 version is now available. It includes a lot of new features and improvements, as well as important bug fixes, that you can find on the first post, where a complete changelog has been pasted too. The post has been updated to link to the latest beta version.

Special thanks to all testers who helped us in the alpha stage! We are now much closer to a stable release.

Kind regards

Hello!

We're very glad to inform you that Release Candidate 1 version is now available. It's a minor update from beta 1 version: a specific manifest permission has been added to allow app black and white traffic splitting aimed lists proper population on Android 11 and 12. Many thanks to the tester who spotted the problem in latest Android versions!

The post has been updated to link to the latest RC version.

Special thanks to all testers who helped us in the alpha and beta stages!

Kind regards