Not connected, Your IP: 3.81.89.248
Stalinium

AirVPN not acknowledged on EFF's donation page?

https://airvpn.org/mission/ and https://www.eff.org/thanks

AirVPN's own page states being a "Super Major Donor (2500 $/year; recurring)". As far as I can tell they've changed it recently and these are now considered "legacy" thanks (sounds weird I know) but it'd have put AirVPN on a reputable bracket with not too many companies there: "Innovator Level ($2,500)"
I've done some digging at it appears there must have been two separate systems for EFF donations:
  1. The regular donation page (that used to list names and specifically Super Major Donor)
  2. A Separate donation for companies that will end up on this honorary thanks page
From this digging on the Internet Archive I also got that AirVPN has been (according to own website) donating to EFF for a very long time but failed capitalize on this opportunity to be included on the list. Meanwhile some other companies/names have been contributing the bare minimum (Leader Level ($1,000) to be included on that page.

I thought to bring this to your attention.

@Stalinium

Thank you!

The AirVPN founder has been working pro bono for EFF (Europe, not USA) for a couple of years, and that's not a thing that can be acknowledged in the donation pages or evaluated monetarily.

Anyway, it must be said that we have not donated to EFF during 2021, but we will.

Kind regards

10 hours ago, Staff said:

The AirVPN founder has been working pro bono for EFF (Europe, not USA) for a couple of years, and that's not a thing that can be acknowledged in the donation pages or evaluated monetarily.

Any hint on what he achieved while being active for them? Even voluntary work can breed something to be worth mentioning somewhere, rarely even headlines. :)

» I am not an AirVPN team member. All opinions are my own and are not official. Refer to Staff postings for the official word.

» These are the community forums, not the support portal. You're writing with other users here.

» New here? LZ1's New User Guide to AirVPN. Use the search function, Luke!

» Tor exits behind a VPN connection are discouraged. Using Tor on the other hand is not.

» Privacy is like alcohol: Drink a little and it can help you stay unnoticed. Drink a lot and everyone will notice you.

» I cannot give you the solution to all your issues. But I can guide you to it. The rest is up to you.

On 8/2/2021 at 10:43 PM, OpenSourcerer said:
Any hint on what he achieved while being active for them? Even voluntary work can breed something to be worth mentioning somewhere, rarely even headlines. :)

Hi,

I worked for free on the 1st, 2nd and 3rd reading of the Telecoms Package for a grassroots organization in close contact and co-operation with several other organizations including La Quadrature du Net, EDRi, the Swedish Pirate Party and EFF Europe with Eddan Katz (International Affairs Director).

I also worked against ACTA (the Anti Counterfeiting Trade Agreement) with Katz and several activists since when the very first secret discussion paper was published by Wikileaks in 2008 and up to the final and total "victory" with ACTA's rejection by the European Parliament in 2012.

My main activities were legislative analysis, giving lectures in Brussels at the Commission and the Parliament sites, as well as around Europe, or having discussions with MEPs and when possible Commission personnel to defend and explain grassroots movements point of view.

In 2010 I co-founded AirVPN and when it had so much success I moved to a more "fundamental", technical activism, and finally left the public activism with direct lobbying. soon after 2013, when AirVPN took 100% of my work time. Currently my activism is reflected by AirVPN activities, technical infrastructure, donations etc.

Kind regards

25 minutes ago, pj said:

I worked for free on the 1st, 2nd and 3rd reading of the Telecoms Package for a grassroots organization in close contact and co-operation with several other organizations including La Quadrature du Net, EDRi, the Swedish Pirate Party and EFF Europe with Eddan Katz (International Affairs Director).

Odd that your name doesn't come up anywhere near Eddan Katz. Was any of your work published somewhere?

» I am not an AirVPN team member. All opinions are my own and are not official. Refer to Staff postings for the official word.

» These are the community forums, not the support portal. You're writing with other users here.

» Tor exits behind a VPN connection are discouraged. Using Tor on the other hand is not.

» Privacy is like alcohol: Drink a little and it can help you stay unnoticed. Drink a lot and everyone will notice you.

» I cannot give you the solution to all your issues. But I can guide you to it. The rest is up to you.

4 hours ago, OpenSourcerer said:
Odd that your name doesn't come up anywhere near Eddan Katz. Was any of your work published somewhere?

I don't think so, legislative analysis is internal to the working/lobbying groups and some parts may become public on ad-hoc articles and not by themselves, while private conversations with MEPs are never recorded. Well, the lectures in the EP and EC could be in some archive of the EP and/or the Commission, who knows.

I could find a document related to a series of conferences and forums in Barcelona during the Free Culture Forum, where I was the moderator of the 1st working forum with J. Zimmermann and Simona Levi, both great activists and above all great persons, where Eddan participated for the EFF.

I see that in the same document you find a nice and cute description of ScambioEtico (I was their spokesperson during the hot ACTA and TP years and I wrote tons of iarticles between 2007 and 2012 in their blog) which does not exist anymore. How sad. 😢
https://2009.fcforum.net/participants/

Kind regards

Their last tweet was during the first pandemic wave. Coupled with how bad it was in Italy around that time, think that's what hit them?
https://twitter.com/scambioetico

Your link's got some media linked there, uploaded 2009. Are these recordings from said forum of 2009? Sounds quite… small, to be honest.
Internet Archive has records of your name posting on Scambioetico. Also, some wikis refer to you as a mod in fcforum09. Glad at least that's out there and to some extent verifiable. Explains also why regular searches don't dig that up – it's essentially lost in history.

Still no luck with the link between you and Katz, though. Reason why I'm in doubt is because it's a bigger fish in the EFF. A photo of you with such a fish doesn't mean you caught it.

Also skimmed throught that "Charta for Innovation, Creativity and Access to Knowledge". Looks interesting on paper but is bound to fail miserably because the human factor was completely neglected in its design. Probably a topic for another time, though.

2 hours ago, OpenSourcerer said:

Their last tweet was during the first pandemic wave. Coupled with how bad it was in Italy around that time, think that's what hit them?
https://twitter.com/scambioetico

In reality the main website and the blog shut down years ago, unfortunately, a few years after I left my role as a spokesperson to focus on AirVPN. It's not unusual for grassroots movements.

Still no luck with the link between you and Katz, though. Reason why I'm in doubt is because it's a bigger fish in the EFF.

He is not in the EFF anymore, he's in the CAIDP as far as I know, with Bruce. Although we haven't met in years (I think 2012, the year we all killed the monster, at least in Europe, was the last time we met) of course he must remember me quite well, so you can contact him if you're really curious and you have such mistrust in me (but don't tell him he's a "bigger fish"). You asked I replied.

Also skimmed throught that "Charta for Innovation, Creativity and Access to Knowledge". Looks interesting on paper but is bound to fail miserably because the human factor was completely neglected in its design.

History proves you wrong here. The first Charter, was written in 2009 and included some legal demands which are now reality, and other ones which are not. Some paramount Charter demands, which for some people appeared as science fiction in 2009 (such as Net Neutrality by law) became law in the EU within 6 years after the Charter was sent to all the relevant government bodies around the world.

The most important accomplishments of the Charter are:
  • the right to quote and other copyright exceptions have not been canceled
  • Net Neutrality has been enforced by law in Chile and in the Netherlands before 2013
  • on 2015 Net Neutrality was enforced on all the European Union by the EU Regulation 2015/2120
  • various open standards have been adopted, recommended and sometimes even forced (to the public administration) by law in various EU countries
  • promotion of free and open source software became a stronger reality in countless EU schools

Of course, the Charter set the guidelines for the work to do in order to achieve the purposes, and then other work (communications to the public, communications with the law makers) was necessary to reach them, but the Charter united in a powerful coalition more than a hundred big NGOs, small NGOs and grassroots movements with common goals and therefore came out as an instrumental tool to make the public aware of the issues and prepare remarkable changes.in the EU legal framework, for quite some years.

Even changes that in 2009 appeared quite unrealistic, such as Net Neutrality enforced by EU regulation. A published regulation, contrarily to a Directive which needs a transposition into each Member State domestic law within years and could be transposed disloyally with subsequent (if ever) very long infraction procedures, is immediately applicable and enforceable in all Member States, even without ratification into domestic law.. I have no doubts that without the years long law making pressure and work for public awareness some of the above laws would have never seen the light, and probably ACTA would have not been rejected by the EP.

If the reader is curious to see the charter, here is the short version:
https://fcforum.net/files/Chart2.0.1-short.pdf

And here the integral one:
https://fcforum.net/en/charter_extended/

Kind regards

2 hours ago, OpenSourcerer said:

Your link's got some media linked there, uploaded 2009. Are these recordings from said forum of 2009? Sounds quite… small, to be honest.

Wow, a blast from the past! I see there are hours and hours of recordings and I see I appear on them (at least on those I watched quickly), just beside Simona Levi and Eddan Katz. And J. Zimmermann, very radical as usual, great! I still have today that The Pirate Bay hoodie, in near mint conditions (I would have had the honor to know Peter Sunde only a year later, on 2010, though, and again in Barcelona)! :)

The event was not small, what you see on the footage is the conclusions (after the 3 days forum), where a part of the panelists were allowed, but for example the oXcars gathered in a big disco something like 1500 persons in a single night and was a huge success.

19 hours ago, pj said:

so you can contact him if you're really curious and you have such mistrust in me (but don't tell him he's a "bigger fish"). You asked I replied.

I know. None of that was personal, though.

18 hours ago, pj said:

and I see I appear on them (at least on those I watched quickly), just beside Simona Levi and Eddan Katz.

Now I know what you look like. :D
But honestly… you go into such a forum in a hoodie with a notorious piracy symbol? Awkward. :)

Well, I've reached a point where research is getting time-consuming.
Thank you for your answers, though.

18 hours ago, OpenSourcerer said:
But honestly… you go into such a forum in a hoodie with a notorious piracy symbol? Awkward. :)

Not really. 😋 Those were the years in which The Pirate Bay and the Piratbyrån were artistically and culturally so important that they were invited even to the prestigious La Biennale di Venezia and had a whole building floor reserved for installations.

Nowadays people take for granted a wide range of services, protocols and possibilities which have come into existence lately, or were not banned according to the copyright mafia wet dreams, thanks to the anti-copyright wars between 2000 and 2015.

At the following Barcelona FCForum in 2010, Peter Sunde (The Pirate Bay's spokesperson and anti-copyright theorist) was invited, attended the events and was a member of the working group.

Thank you for your answers

You're welcome!

pby.jpg.1998e42dd116d5315344f972b76b6243.jpg

Kind regards