Not connected, Your IP: 18.218.168.16
jaskerx

pfSense Gateway Groups Getting Same IP

Using pfSense 2.5.2 and I have two AirVPN connections set up using the Country method (where I guess it chooses from all available servers in the country) and in a gateway group. The problem is that no matter what I do when the pfSense box reboots it always brings both the VPN connections up at the same time resulting in no internet because both connections somehow have the SAME ip address. I have tried to get different TLS keys from the configurator but it won't let me do this and results in the client not being able to connect. I have tried different ports on each connection but that also didn't work when I rebooted (power outage) VPN came back up but with no internet and dual ip address. Currently I am trying having one client run UDP and the TCP on the other but the problem now is that the pfSense box is spamming emails about connection suffering packet loss. Also have not been able to do a reboot so am unable to tell if this method will work.

So how do I set this up where when I reboot the pfSense box it doesn't give me the same IP address for both connections?

What's the second connection for? Is one not enough? Because technically it is.

NOT AN AIRVPN TEAM MEMBER. USE TICKETS FOR PROFESSIONAL SUPPORT.

LZ1's New User Guide to AirVPN « Plenty of stuff for advanced users, too!

Want to contact me directly? All relevant methods are on my About me page.

I had a similar result in the past using the country method. I had to manually select at least one of the servers I wanted to utilize. Using the country code seemed to always route the connections to the end-point with the seemingly best connection, but as you noted, they're established at the same time, resulting in a dual connection, which breaks the internal routing. I run several concurrent connections for fail-over and load-balancing myself and I manually ping all the servers I might connect to to find the best routes for my setup.

3 hours ago, SumRndmDude said:

I had a similar result in the past using the country method. I had to manually select at least one of the servers I wanted to utilize. Using the country code seemed to always route the connections to the end-point with the seemingly best connection, but as you noted, they're established at the same time, resulting in a dual connection, which breaks the internal routing. I run several concurrent connections for fail-over and load-balancing myself and I manually ping all the servers I might connect to to find the best routes for my setup.

What would be the best option to use then? Can I use country3.airdns.org for client 1, then connect to a specific server using server.airvpn.org for client 2? Also I'm wondering if it's better to use the server ip address that I get from ping or its name.airvpn.org as the ip might change?

Would there be a way to stagger the startup of the clients so that the internal routing doesn't get confused and assign the same ip or is this a known bug with openvpn?

setup the initial connections using two different IP addresses... if you insist in gateway groups... 

then under advanced configuration.   type in:   remote us.vpn.airdns.org 443;

gateway groups are unnecessary IMO 

I would just setup one connection and use the remote command so you know it will automatically connect on a server outage etc