Not connected, Your IP: 100.26.140.179
Staff

Eddie Desktop 2.21 beta released

Posted ... (edited)

So what's the advice for Debian + offshoots users when Eddie complains about NFT when booting to latest kernel (5.15.5), besides simply downgrading the kernel?

More details:

Running Mint 20 (based on Ubuntu 20.04 LTS which is based on Debian bullseye/sid) with latest mainline kernel for recent hardware support, until recently kernel 5.14.x and Eddie 2.21.1 worked just fine. Apart from the vanished panel indicator for Eddie due to Debian deprecating "libappindicator1".

With Debian and derivatives lagging in nftables adoption (the latest version available is 0.9.3-2 from Dec 2019), only iptables was available/installed and selected automatically for Network Lock.

As the mainline Linux kernel 5.14.21 became EOL I installed and booted into kernel 5.15.5  (still using Eddie 2.21.1) but it would give an iptables error and Network Lock wasn't enabled.
Seeing issues here (previous page) with Debian 11 and Arch, I installed the latest Eddie 2.21.2 (with some 'hotfix' by @Clodo included) as well as that (old) nftables package from repos and now I can boot into Linux kernel 5.15.6 with Network Lock activating.
However I now get frequent "Exception: nft issue: exit:1; err:Error: syntax error, unexpected rule, expecting string" warnings plus one case of "Fatal error occured, please contact Eddie support: Object reference not set to an instance of an object -   at Eddie.Platform.Linux.NetworkLockNftables.DeallowInterface" (similar to errors mentioned earlier in the thread).

Kernel 5.15.x (now mainline) appears to have changed something to make iptables fail under Eddie. The more 'progressive' distros can apparently switch to using nftables, but with more conservative distros (Debian, Mint, Ubuntu 20.04 LTS) nftables might not be up to the task.

Is this something AirVPN can fix with Eddie, or is the solution, for now, to simply downgrade from the mainline kernel (5.15.x) to stock 5.13.x (HWE) and hope for the best?

Edited ... by encrypted
Added details

On 12/1/2021 at 3:36 PM, encrypted said:

So what's the advice for Debian + offshoots users when Eddie complains about NFT when booting to latest kernel (5.15.5), besides simply downgrading the kernel?

More details:

Running Mint 20 (based on Ubuntu 20.04 LTS which is based on Debian bullseye/sid) with latest mainline kernel for recent hardware support, until recently kernel 5.14.x and Eddie 2.21.1 worked just fine. Apart from the vanished panel indicator for Eddie due to Debian deprecating "libappindicator1".

With Debian and derivatives lagging in nftables adoption (the latest version available is 0.9.3-2 from Dec 2019), only iptables was available/installed and selected automatically for Network Lock.

As the mainline Linux kernel 5.14.21 became EOL I installed and booted into kernel 5.15.5  (still using Eddie 2.21.1) but it would give an iptables error and Network Lock wasn't enabled.
Seeing issues here (previous page) with Debian 11 and Arch, I installed the latest Eddie 2.21.2 (with some 'hotfix' by @Clodo included) as well as that (old) nftables package from repos and now I can boot into Linux kernel 5.15.6 with Network Lock activating.
However I now get frequent "Exception: nft issue: exit:1; err:Error: syntax error, unexpected rule, expecting string" warnings plus one case of "Fatal error occured, please contact Eddie support: Object reference not set to an instance of an object -   at Eddie.Platform.Linux.NetworkLockNftables.DeallowInterface" (similar to errors mentioned earlier in the thread).

Kernel 5.15.x (now mainline) appears to have changed something to make iptables fail under Eddie. The more 'progressive' distros can apparently switch to using nftables, but with more conservative distros (Debian, Mint, Ubuntu 20.04 LTS) nftables might not be up to the task.

Is this something AirVPN can fix with Eddie, or is the solution, for now, to simply downgrade from the mainline kernel (5.15.x) to stock 5.13.x (HWE) and hope for the best?

I am on pop-os on kernel 5.15.5 and I am getting the error message exception: iptables don't reply , probabily kernel modules issue.

On 10/30/2021 at 2:02 PM, autone said:

Version 2.21.2 has a massive memory leak when using wireguard after some long periods. I had high CPU usage and it was using 10GB ram. This is on Windows 10.

This is confirmed,
Current 2.21.2 (only Windows, only with WireGuard) crasheds after many hours (>8), this issue will be fixed in the next version, as soon as possible.

On Windows 10 x64, using a CPU with AES-NI:

Would it be possible to update the WireGuard libraries to the latest version? I'm seeing large CPU usage when I enable WireGuard support, which I attribute to the user layer driver being used right now.

I can't enable the experimental kernel driver, because the version is too old (0.3.x). It needs at least 0.4.x before that can be enabled. The current stable version is 0.5.2 for windows.

I can't simply replace the WireGuard driver dll, as Eddie uses the embedded version of WireGaurd.

In the current version, there's support to run external OpenVPN client, which allows flexibility in this kind of situation. For Example, I've used it in the past to make use of newer OpenVPN features before it was introduced into the native version of Eddie.

So, the second feature request is to allow for a similar flexibility of running an external WireGuard client, so it's easier to use newer features.

It looks like wireguard won't work with the windows firewall network lock. Handshake fails.....

Version 2.21.3 (Wed, 15 Dec 2021 11:35:46 +0000)

• [change] [windows] WireGuard 0.3.11 > 0.5.2 WireGuardNT/0.10
  • [change] [windows] Important fix about crash after many hours with WireGuard
  • [change] [windows] "Recovery, unexpected crash?" false positive in some circumstances
  • [bugfix] [linux] Updated Portable and AppImage bundles for better distro compatibility
  • [change] [linux] Constant monitoring of /etc/resolv.conf during connection
  • [change] [windows] Better management of network adapter creation & destruction
  • [new] [all] "Upload to paste URL in support ticket" in Lifebelt

On 12/9/2021 at 3:48 PM, DarkWrath said:

On Windows 10 x64, using a CPU with AES-NI:

Would it be possible to update the WireGuard libraries to the latest version? I'm seeing large CPU usage when I enable WireGuard support, which I attribute to the user layer driver being used right now.

I can't enable the experimental kernel driver, because the version is too old (0.3.x). It needs at least 0.4.x before that can be enabled. The current stable version is 0.5.2 for windows.

I can't simply replace the WireGuard driver dll, as Eddie uses the embedded version of WireGaurd.

In the current version, there's support to run external OpenVPN client, which allows flexibility in this kind of situation. For Example, I've used it in the past to make use of newer OpenVPN features before it was introduced into the native version of Eddie.

So, the second feature request is to allow for a similar flexibility of running an external WireGuard client, so it's easier to use newer features.

This was the main objective of 2.21.3 just released, migration from old WireGuard user to latest WireGuard-NT kernel. And a fix about a bug that caused memory leak after many hours with WireGuard.

Other issues reported in this thread are under evaluation, please have patience.

==> Beginne build()...

>>>> xbuild tool is deprecated and will be removed in future updates, use msbuild instead <<<<                                                                                                                      

XBuild Engine Version 14.0                                                                                                                                                                                          
Mono, Version 6.12.0.0
Copyright (C) 2005-2013 Various Mono authors
               Configuration: Release Platform: x64
CSC: error CS2001: Source file '/home/x/.cache/paru/clone/eddie-ui-git/src/Eddie/src/Lib.Core/Jobs/UpMonitor.cs' could not be found.
Configuration: Release Platform: x64
CSC: error CS2001: Source file '/home/x/.cache/paru/clone/eddie-ui-git/src/Eddie/src/Lib.Forms.Skin/SkinJson.cs' could not be found.
CSC: error CS2001: Source file '/home/x/.cache/paru/clone/eddie-ui-git/src/Eddie/src/Lib.Forms.Skin/SkinUtilsCore.cs' could not be found.
==> FEHLER: Ein Fehler geschah in build().

Cannot build it on Arch Linux. Those files really seem to be missing. For SkinUtilsCore.cs, there's a SkinUtils.cs instead.

NOT AN AIRVPN TEAM MEMBER. USE TICKETS FOR PROFESSIONAL SUPPORT.

LZ1's New User Guide to AirVPN « Plenty of stuff for advanced users, too!

Want to contact me directly? All relevant methods are on my About me page.

6 minutes ago, OpenSourcerer said:

Cannot build it on Arch Linux.

Please retry now, an issue during deploy. Thx

On 12/11/2021 at 7:56 PM, sunisland said:

It looks like wireguard won't work with the windows firewall network lock. Handshake fails.....

Please retry with the latest version 2.21.3, thx

34 minutes ago, Staff said:

[new] [all] "Upload to paste URL in support ticket" in Lifebelt

I was wondering for some time now what one could do about the lengthy mindless pastes of logs. And here we are, a special pastebin for support files. I like it.
Question: What's the retention policy on these pastes, if any?

NOT AN AIRVPN TEAM MEMBER. USE TICKETS FOR PROFESSIONAL SUPPORT.

LZ1's New User Guide to AirVPN « Plenty of stuff for advanced users, too!

Want to contact me directly? All relevant methods are on my About me page.

On 12/1/2021 at 4:36 PM, encrypted said:

More details:

Hi, sorry for the delay.
Of course we need to resolve issues without asking any downgrade.

I need help to understand the issue: i tested an Arch with a 5.15 kernel, and NetLock doesn't work because iptables modules are not present anymore in kernel, and "nft" executable was not found, so Eddie can't use either iptables or nft. Not an Eddie bug. It can be resolved simply by installing nft main executable.
Maybe you have a different issue, please test the latest version and provide a full "lifebelt" log, maybe with the exact exception error.
OR, you know a non-Arch distro based on 5.15 kernel? i can install it and test Eddie.
Thanks

On 10/8/2021 at 2:33 PM, Breeze said:
Additionally, I can't start the Eddie Desktop v2.21.1 client AppImage on linux. (A small window/message box pops up and closes immediately. To fast to read.)
Launching using terminal, I get following exception:

exception inside UnhandledException handler: (null) assembly:mscorlib.dll type:NullReferenceException member:(null)

[ERROR] FATAL UNHANDLED EXCEPTION: System.TypeInitializationException: The type initializer for 'System.Console' threw an exception. ---> 

libmono-native.so seems to be missing.

v2.20.0 AppImage works on the same machine. 👍

Please test the latest 2.21.3, it contains a fix for this issue.

On 9/28/2021 at 12:27 PM, airvpnforumuser said:
when the "eddie" interface dies (and apps are bound to that interface) they also need to be restarted (such as qBT).

In the latest 2.21.3 we changed some things about this.
Unfortunately, WireGuard under Windows creates the adapter and destroys it when connection stops, there is nothing we can do (action performed by WireGuard codebase).
For coherence, we adapted OpenVPN to the same behavior. But you can uncheck the new "Preferences > Networking > Remove adapter when session ends", the adapter will remain and will be used in future connection (so I hope you can bind with qBT).
The other issue "Interface used for connection" is under investigation, Eddie saves/identifies interface by IP addresses, if IP address changes, reference is lost. I understand the issue, thinking about how to resolve it.

Hello,

On 10/28/2021 at 12:50 PM, puff-m-d said:

Hello,

I can not get 2.21.2 to work on my Windows 11 machine. I had to rollback to version 2.21.1 which does work (which I assume this version does not work with the WireGuard beta testing).
Logs attached...

Eddie 2.21.2 Beta Logs.txt 22.71 kB · 39 downloads

I have the exact same issue with 2.21.3 as I did with 2.21.2 (2.21.1 working without issue). "unable to find wintun driver" or "wintun driver failed to install", however the wintun driver is appearing in my system32 folder.
Reverted back to version 2.21.1 for the time being...

6 hours ago, Clodo said:

Please retry with the latest version 2.21.3, thx

Same issue.

. 2021.12.15 22:57:44 - WireGuard > Handshake for peer 1 (134.19.179.146:1637) did not complete after 5 seconds, retrying (try 2)
. 2021.12.15 22:57:49 - WireGuard > Handshake for peer 1 (134.19.179.146:1637) did not complete after 5 seconds, retrying (try 3)
. 2021.12.15 22:57:54 - WireGuard > Handshake for peer 1 (134.19.179.146:1637) did not complete after 5 seconds, retrying (try 4)

On 12/16/2021 at 11:39 AM, bob1324 said:

On Windows 10 pro:
I keep getting message
VPN network adapter not found
install fail (wintun)
https://i.imgur.com/O3yUOTP.jpg

On 12/15/2021 at 6:34 PM, puff-m-d said:

Hello,

I have the exact same issue with 2.21.3 as I did with 2.21.2 (2.21.1 working without issue). "unable to find wintun driver" or "wintun driver failed to install", however the wintun driver is appearing in my system32 folder.
Reverted back to version 2.21.1 for the time being...

Both, please redownload Windows edition NOW and retry. We applied an hotfix only on Windows builds without changing version number 2.21.3.

On 12/15/2021 at 11:02 PM, sunisland said:

Same issue.

. 2021.12.15 22:57:44 - WireGuard > Handshake for peer 1 (134.19.179.146:1637) did not complete after 5 seconds, retrying (try 2)
. 2021.12.15 22:57:49 - WireGuard > Handshake for peer 1 (134.19.179.146:1637) did not complete after 5 seconds, retrying (try 3)
. 2021.12.15 22:57:54 - WireGuard > Handshake for peer 1 (134.19.179.146:1637) did not complete after 5 seconds, retrying (try 4)

Please paste a full lifebelt log here (or via ticket).

On 9/28/2021 at 12:27 PM, airvpnforumuser said:
Bug:

Fatal error occured, please contact Eddie support: Object reference not set to an instance of an object -    at Eddie.Platform.Windows.NetworkLockWfp.DeallowInterface(NetworkInterface networkInterface)

How to reproduce:

1: Eddie -> Networking -> Interface used for connection -> select an interface (in my case, a wireless network card (USB)).

2: Change wireless adapter SSID

3: Observe the following error:

Fatal error occured, please contact Eddie support: Object reference not set to an instance of an object. -    at Eddie.Platform.Windows.NetworkLockWfp.DeallowInterface(NetworkInterface networkInterface)
at Eddie.Core.NetworkLockManager.DeallowInterface(NetworkInterface networkInterface)
at Eddie.Core.ConnectionTypes.IConnectionType.OnClose()
at Eddie.Core.ConnectionTypes.OpenVPN.OnClose()
at Eddie.Core.Session.OnRun()

Why?

I have observed that list does not get updated automatically, even with Ethernet if things change I need to entirely exit eddie and re-open and the list is updated (for example, if IP address changes). I have several networking interfaces I use for different purposes so this bug is quite frustrating, as when the "eddie" interface dies (and apps are bound to that interface) they also need to be restarted (such as qBT).

You can observe the next time you open Eddie the interface box will contain no selected item (so connect fails) as it has 'disappeared'. I suspect if the interface list updated automatically (if possible) it would be great.

Thanks, hope this helps.

If you download the latest 2.21.3 build, we added the choice to pick not only a specific IP address in "Networking -> Interface used for connection", but also a generic adapter. I hope this resolves your issue when changing SSID.

Hello @Clodo,

3 hours ago, Clodo said:

Both, please redownload Windows edition NOW and retry. We applied an hotfix only on Windows builds without changing version number 2.21.3.

Thanks for the update and hot-fix. All is now working here as expected with no issues so far!

I cant get 2.21.3 to work a Windows 11 machine, it always times out at Checking route IPv4. Log is attached, 2.20 works flawlessly. Any suggestions? Thanks!

Eddie_20211217_195204.txt