Not connected, Your IP: 54.165.122.173
Sign in to follow this  
bluesjunior

Strange Connection Problem?.

Am running AirVPN v2.20.0 with built in Wintun2 adapter on Windows 10 desktop. My broadband connection is Virgin media 500Mbps with the virgin router set on modem mode and running through a Linksys EA7500 router. I usually use AirVPN for a couple of hours in the early morning and without the VPN the rest of the time. For over a year now I have got between 225-360Mbps download speed while using Air depending on server which I have found really great considering all the speed problems with Virgin a couple of years back, that is not the problem.

A few days ago, it may have happened after a recent Windows 10 update but not certain I noticed that regardless of which Dutch server used I could only get a max of between 170-180Mbps download speed instead of the usual. I have also noticed that when I disconnect AirVPN instead of automatically reverting to Ethernet connection instead of Local Area 2 (used for the Wintun 2 Adapter) I get the globe and the no internet connection when I check my adaper settings in Windows. I mean that the local area connection 2 is crossed out as it should be but I have the globe icon and the no internet connection on the ethernet connection but this is wrong as I can still connect to the internet okay. If I restart my PC then I get the proper "monitor icon" on my taskbar, but have no idea why this is happening and wondered if anyone else is experiencing similar or has any idea on how to how to solve it. When not using AirVPN I get the full 500Mbps download speed so I don't think the problem is with Virgin this time. I have tried using different AirVPN protocols but the results are the same. Also AirVPN takes a little longer to load?.

Posted ... (edited)

not sure about the wintun thing, i know it's suppose to be faster, but i'm using regular "tap" adapter and i get same speed with or without vpn just with higher latency, but i'm also only on a 180Mb connection...   but if you are having issues but as far as the speed goes there's a sticky on page one i was just reading a few min ago and it was looking like there could be some isp's that are throttling vpn traffic sometimes?  but there was a fix in that thread that seemed to help a few people out.  Look on the first page of the troubleshooting section for a stickied entry titled " Every VPN is slow for me, despite the well-reviewed VPNs I'm trying. Is it possible my ISP is causing this? ... "  

also like you, i'm on win 10, and every once in a while i'll get that same thing with a "no internet" symbol in the task bar, but internet still works.  but mine is usually when bringing the computer out of standby, don't think i've ever had it happen when disconnecting from air, but i'm also not using wintun, not sure if that's anything to do with it, but i do know it's a lot newer tech. but just like you if i restart it goes back to normal operation so its prob a windows bug and not an "air" problem.  because i've seen it happen randomly on other pc's too that aren't running vpn. 

edit: just found this link in another thread talking about how to fix the "no internet" bug on win 10, if this doesn't help check out the thread on it here in troubleshooting.  https://www.windowslatest.com/2020/07/18/windows-10-no-internet-connection-problem/

Edited ... by d3adf1sh