Not connected, Your IP: 3.91.245.93
Similiar

Router Suggestion that can do >= 150 Mbps over VPN

Posted ... (edited)

Hi everyone,

i just bought an Asus Router DSL AC68VG because it has support for OpenVPN. And i am quite sad that it cant handle much speed when vpn is enabled on it. I have a 200 Mbps vdsl line from my isp and the router can handle that fine, but when toggling the vpn on the cpu goes high up and the download speed stops at 20 - 30 Mbps. I do want to relay on vpn 24/7 but for that i need a router that can actually atleast process 150 Mbps with vpn turned on on it.

Anyone has a suggestion for a Router that can handle that with openvpn enabled?

Edited ... by Similiar

Have you tried ChaCha20-Poly1305 cipher? since its an ARM device and doesnt have AES accelerator.

Additionally, as far as I know, OpenVPN is single-threaded.
So, a CPU with high single-thread performance is mandatory.

An Intel/AMD machine would be a nice choice which meets above requirements.

There are various options by PC Engines, Protectli, etc.

Posted ... (edited)

I have to lookup all of your Answers and see how i can configure the ChaCha20-Poly1305, because i dont know.. I will also lookup the AC68 to see its specs and what Pfsense is. I do have a spare unplugged pc, so if i setup a vpn on it and have all traffic from the router go through it then it could work. I have to see if i can even manage to configure something like that, seems to be hard for me. Thanks for the Answers!

Edit: So my current Asus Router actually has a Ancient OpenVPN version installed (2.3.2) and it has no support for ChaCha20-Poly1305. So i guess i either buy a newer router with AES hardware support or find a way to setup a pc which routes all traffic.
I looked into the AC86 router and it also has a 1.8 gh dual core, no clue if ARM, found no site describing it. But the OpenVPN version is most probably much newer because the router still gets updates.

Edit 2: This site https://www.snbforums.com/threads/poor-vpn-speed-when-using-asus-openvpn-client.43029/
says the AC86 Router can do up to 200 Mbps.

Based on this site https://www.skadligkod.se/vpn/vpn-speedtest-asus-rt-ac86u-merlin-firmware/
it has AES Hardware support and works fine. AirVPN actually had the best results with it.

I guess i will return my freshly buyed router, buy the ac86u, do testing and if it doesnt work as hoped for then learn how to setup pfsense on a seperate pc.

Edited ... by Similiar

Yes, as the others have suggested a pfsense machine will do the job.  But the reason i suggest the AC86 is because it and a few others routers have a CPU that has AES-NI for fast openvpn.  So you have a little more user friendly way to get pretty good speeds.

9 hours ago, Similiar said:

I do have a spare unplugged pc, so if i setup a vpn on it and have all traffic from the router go through it then it could work.

It would also cost you way more than a router in regards to the electricity bill. Beware.

NOT AN AIRVPN TEAM MEMBER. USE TICKETS FOR PROFESSIONAL SUPPORT.

LZ1's New User Guide to AirVPN « Plenty of stuff for advanced users, too!

Want to contact me directly? All relevant methods are on my About me page.

Posted ... (edited)

That be it, i buy the RT-AC86U AC2900 WAN Router because it has AES Hardware support and then install Merlin Firmware on it. It really should work and in the case it does not i guess im fine with the extra power costs of using a seperate pc or laptop for the sake of security. Thanks everyone. I will report back with what i got working, just in case someone else runs into this issue.

Edited ... by Similiar

7 hours ago, Similiar said:

That be it, i buy the RT-AC86U AC2900 WAN Router because it has AES Hardware support and then install Merlin Firmware on it. It really should work and in the case it does not i guess im fine with the extra power costs of using a seperate pc or laptop for the sake of security. Thanks everyone. I will report back with what i got working, just in case someone else runs into this issue.

You don't necessarily need AES-capable hardware ... a CPU with decent single thread performance will also be ok with ChaCha20 cipher.