Not connected, Your IP: 3.15.4.244

I have a little feature suggestion. I think it would be awesome if AirVPN had a DNS based adblock similar to other VPN services. It would make a world of a difference browsing the web, especially on mobile devices where ad blocking is a little more difficult. Obviously, it should be an optional feature in case people don't like the adblock system. I realize that with the eddie client you can set a custom DNS address, but I would feel more comfortable using a DNS service from AirVPN themselves.

For ad blocking host lists, I recommend either StevenBlack hosts or easylist with easyprivacy since these are both open source and what most other VPNs with ad blocking use for hosts.

The short answer is no. Please build your own.

The long answer is that implementing that will violate Net Neutrality as advertising and tracking on the internet also falls into the category of network traffic. Obviously. There will be a dispute over what should be blocked and what not along with constant maintenance of that blocklist. Think of all the user complaints "I can't access Spiegel Online from AirVPN, they say I'm using an adblocker", you unblock it, someone else says "Can you please add Spiegel Online, their service uses some 20 different tracking companies, it's gross". Can all be avoided if you use those lists yourself and block what you personally don't want to see. Use Pi-Hole on network level, Energized.pro on system level, uBlock Origin on browsers and/or AdAway on Android systems.

31 minutes ago, KnownStormChaser said:

Obviously, it should be an optional feature in case people don't like the adblock system.

This is perhaps the most difficult part. You need two different DNS servers, as in, those blocking ads and those not doing so. How will you tell if the just connected client wants adblocking or not?

NOT AN AIRVPN TEAM MEMBER. USE TICKETS FOR PROFESSIONAL SUPPORT.

LZ1's New User Guide to AirVPN « Plenty of stuff for advanced users, too!

Want to contact me directly? All relevant methods are on my About me page.

I don’t want to get into a whole debate about net neutrality and ad blocking with you so I’ll just leave it at that.

7 hours ago, OpenSourcerer said:

This is perhaps the most difficult part. You need two different DNS servers, as in, those blocking ads and those not doing so. How will you tell if the just connected client wants adblocking or not?

This part is actually pretty simple, in the Eddie client there can be a toggle to enable or disable the ad blocking, or simply ip addresses that the user can add in the custom DNS section. Mullvad has something very similar to what I am describing, not to mention the many other services that have it as well.

On 6/17/2021 at 3:49 AM, KnownStormChaser said:

Mullvad has something very similar to what I am describing, not to mention the many other services that have it as well.

Then you should use other services probably if you need this feature and can't be bothered to set up your own. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

2 minutes ago, nezzer said:

This will not work with mobile internet, just stationary WiFi, right?

It works wherever you want it to. There is the possibility of setting up Pi-Hole publically accessible, which does entail some serious risks, but all in all the software is made for internal use, yes. On Android, ad-blocking apps like Blokada or AdAway should be used.

On 6/27/2021 at 8:11 PM, lordlukan said:

Use pihole. Problem solved

On 6/16/2021 at 8:17 PM, OpenSourcerer said:

The long answer is that implementing that will violate Net Neutrality as advertising and tracking on the internet also falls into the category of network traffic. Obviously.

Net neutrality is something only ISPs have to obey to in regard to the end user. There is no obligation for VPNs to forward unwanted traffic against the VPN users will. Also net neutrality is regulated differently in different countries.

There will be a dispute over what should be blocked and what not along with constant maintenance of that blocklist. Think of all the user complaints "I can't access Spiegel Online from AirVPN, they say I'm using an adblocker", you unblock it, someone else says "Can you please add Spiegel Online, their service uses some 20 different tracking companies, it's gross". Can all be avoided if you use those lists yourself and block what you personally don't want to see.

It has been demonstrated that this has been done successfully IMHO. I never had any issues with the usual block lists... but others may have different experiences, I admit that.

Use Pi-Hole on network level, Energized.pro on system level, uBlock Origin on browsers and/or AdAway on Android systems.

On Android systems with mobile one can surely use e.g. NetGuard (which I use) or others. The problem is that such apps use the native VPN function. This can only be used by one app. AirVPN can than not be used as well 😞

49 minutes ago, nezzer said:

Net neutrality is something only ISPs have to obey to in regard to the end user. There is no obligation for VPNs to forward unwanted traffic against the VPN users will. Also net neutrality is regulated differently in different countries.

All true. But AirVPN does adhere to this principle.
50 minutes ago, nezzer said:

On Android systems with mobile one can surely use e.g. NetGuard (which I use) or others. The problem is that such apps use the native VPN function. This can only be used by one app. AirVPN can than not be used as well 😞

Yes, true, it's a limitation of the underlying API. The alternative is rooting which opens up the possibility to use the hosts file, or rather, a systemless pendant.