Not connected, Your IP: 18.119.131.72
Stack of computer parts

AirvpnSuite triggering power save mode on wwan(USB) modem

I am using Debian 11(testing) and a wwan modem that is treated like a usb device. It seems when running bluetit.service after a minute or so Debian puts the modem to sleep, causing disconnections and network lock.

I believe this is being caused by the system thinking I am only using the TUN interface created by bluetit and thinks I no longer need the usb modem.

Does anyone know how to disable usb power saving for the modem(or specific usb bus)? I don't see any setting besides a global setting for all hibernation features. I still would like suspend and hibernate functionality but it is rather annoying it wont stay awake the way it runs now.

This doesn't happen with the wifi card or ethernet connection but those are on the pci bus and might be managed differently/better.

I will link to the Arch Linux Wiki for this because Debian Wiki is useless in its current state and Debian uses udev for device management, too.

1 hour ago, Stack of computer parts said:

This doesn't happen with the wifi card or ethernet connection but those are on the pci bus and might be managed differently/better.

Or they simply support autosuspend while your modem treats that feature as a hard power down. :)

NOT AN AIRVPN TEAM MEMBER. USE TICKETS FOR PROFESSIONAL SUPPORT.

LZ1's New User Guide to AirVPN « Plenty of stuff for advanced users, too!

Want to contact me directly? All relevant methods are on my About me page.

I did see this earlier and try configuring the sleep/powerdown function and it did not have an effect.
The problem turned out to be the modem was in QMI mode and not MBIM(usbif) mode.
One has to log into the modem with putty or some other serial data link and use the AT! commands to ensure the setting is right.

This actually did not happen on other *Nix systems, just debian and bluetit, so maybe there's some interesting thing going on there.

3 hours ago, Stack of computer parts said:

This actually did not happen on other *Nix systems

Really, which ones did you test?

NOT AN AIRVPN TEAM MEMBER. USE TICKETS FOR PROFESSIONAL SUPPORT.

LZ1's New User Guide to AirVPN « Plenty of stuff for advanced users, too!

Want to contact me directly? All relevant methods are on my About me page.

Sorry to reply late on my own post but i rarely log in here.

In qubes and freebsd this worked in their debian and fedora templates. Until recently.

I think something happened in both(3, counting qubes) recently because qubes templates became suddenly unworkable with the modem.

Debian and fedora as native installs require configuring to mbim now as well.

Not really sure what the issue is. I need the modem to work more then I can diag what happened.

Ill keep poking at it when i have the time.