Not connected, Your IP: 34.205.142.9
bolofonto

Websites not "recognising" IPv6, detecting IPv4?

Hi there,

You'll have to excuse my ignorance here, not an expert in VPNs. 

I know that my ISP and regular internet connection has a vanilla static IPv4 that has not changed for a long time. This is a bit scary. They have not enabled IPv6 themselves, although my Windows has checked up the option of running IPv6 (networking in control panel).

For personal reasons, I'd like that the sites that "detect" my IP would "detect" only the exit IPv6 instead of the exit IPv4 of your different servers.

In "Eddie", I have both the layer IPv4 and IPv6 as "inside tunnel (must be supported)" and the internet protocol used for connection as IPv4, IPv6. Only "Switch to block if issue is detected for IPv4, actually unchecked for IPv6.

Although Eddie connects, all sites detect the IPv4, almost if the IPv6 does not exist. I suspect there is a problem, as the logs indicate. See here for the logs of me trying different servers to no avail https://pastebin.com/cEA9QMhP

Can anyone lend me a hand? Thanks

24 minutes ago, bolofonto said:

They have not enabled IPv6 themselves, although my Windows has checked up the option of running IPv6 (networking in control panel).

Every device assigns itself a Unique Local Address starting with fe80:…, this is not an indication of IPv6 connectivity to the internet, one or multiple Unique Global Addresses, starting with 2xxx: or 3xxx: are.
Everything else below this sentence of yours can only be taken into consideration once you verified you do have v6 connectivity, for example by browsing to a v6-only website such as ipv6.nsupdate.info. If you get an error there, there's little sense in troubleshooting, I'm sure you'd agree. :)

NOT AN AIRVPN TEAM MEMBER. USE TICKETS FOR PROFESSIONAL SUPPORT.

LZ1's New User Guide to AirVPN « Plenty of stuff for advanced users, too!

Want to contact me directly? All relevant methods are on my About me page.

8 minutes ago, OpenSourcerer said:
Everything else below this sentence of yours can only be taken into consideration once you verified you do have v6 connectivity, for example by browsing to a v6-only website such as ipv6.nsupdate.info. If you get an error there, there's little sense in troubleshooting, I'm sure you'd agree. :)

Hi there! Thanks for this I've now browsed ipv6.nsupdate.info and my report says: IPv4: 213.etc, rDNS: nothing, IPv6: 2a00.etc, rDNS: nothing. 

I take the websites are detecting the IPv4 and giving preference to it? If my ISP does not support IPv6, is there a way of having only an exit IPv6 through this VPN? Cheers

It was not about the contents, it was about whether you could connect. The website is nsupdate.info, the ipv6.nsupdate.info subdomain is the same website but only accessible with a v6 address. If you didn't have a IPv6 UGA from your ISP, there wouldn't be a successful connection, but there was. So we can confirm that your ISP does have IPv6 connectivity, despite you writing otherwise.

49 minutes ago, bolofonto said:

For personal reasons, I'd like that the sites that "detect" my IP would "detect" only the exit IPv6 instead of the exit IPv4 of your different servers.

Am I understanding correctly that you want IPv4 connections to go via your ISP and IPv6 via AirVPN?

8 minutes ago, OpenSourcerer said:

It was not about the contents, it was about whether you could connect. The website is nsupdate.info, the ipv6.nsupdate.info subdomain is the same website but only accessible with a v6 address. If you didn't have a IPv6 UGA from your ISP, there wouldn't be a successful connection, but there was. So we can confirm that your ISP does have IPv6 connectivity, despite you writing otherwise.

Am I understanding correctly that you want IPv4 connections to go via your ISP and IPv6 via AirVPN?

Again, apologies for my ignorance but I think I'm almost getting there.

1.- If I try to visit  ipv6.nsupdate.info without AirVPN enabled, I will get an error message: DNS_PROBE_FINISHED_NXDOMAIN. To the best of my knowledge, my ISP has not enabled IPv6 (and people have been begging for it during years) -- again, don't know if I'm missing something here.
2.- I can only visit ipv6.nsupdate.info with AirVPN connected/enabled and then both IPv4 and IPv6 of the AirVPN server appear.
3.- Given 1 and 2, is there any way of only displaying an IPv6 exit address when connected through AirVPN? That is, routing my IPv4 connection through IPv6 via AirVPN (if that is even a thing...)

7 minutes ago, bolofonto said:

1.- If I try to visit  ipv6.nsupdate.info without AirVPN enabled, I will get an error message: DNS_PROBE_FINISHED_NXDOMAIN. To the best of my knowledge, my ISP has not enabled IPv6 (and people have been begging for it during years) -- again, don't know if I'm missing something here.

Oh, then you don't have IPv6 connectivity. Should've told you not to connect to AirVPN.

7 minutes ago, bolofonto said:

3.- Given 1 and 2, is there any way of only displaying an IPv6 exit address when connected through AirVPN? That is, routing my IPv4 connection through IPv6 via AirVPN (if that is even a thing...)

With Eddie, in Preferences > Networking:
  • Layer IPv4: Outside tunnel, switch "Block on error" off
  • Layer IPv6: Inside tunnel, switch "Block on error" off
  • Internet Protocol: IPv4 only
This should create a directlve like redirect-gateway !ipv4 ipv6, so what you want. Try it out and report.

Please try websites like ipleak.net and ipv6-test.com to verify IPv6 is also preferred. Both say it in their results.