Not connected, Your IP: 34.203.242.200

Continually connecting to the same server for a static IP

Hello, 
If I wanted a static IP with the VPN, how feasible would it be to just connect to the same server each time? From what I can tell each server in each country has its own exit IP, however if I wanted to keep the same IP for years at a time what would happen if e.g. a server is retired or changed? Would I have to use a new "main" server?
Apologies if this isnt the case or if all servers across all regions share the same exit IP, I don't know this stuff very well.

On 5/10/2021 at 8:40 PM, greased said:

If I wanted a static IP with the VPN, how feasible would it be to just connect to the same server each time?

It's the only way to be on a non-changing IP all the time.

however if I wanted to keep the same IP for years at a time what would happen if e.g. a server is retired or changed? Would I have to use a new "main" server?

Yes.

NOT AN AIRVPN TEAM MEMBER. USE TICKETS FOR PROFESSIONAL SUPPORT.

LZ1's New User Guide to AirVPN « Plenty of stuff for advanced users, too!

Want to contact me directly? All relevant methods are on my About me page.

2 hours ago, OpenSourcerer said:

It's the only way to be on a non-changing IP all the time.

Yes.
Thanks for the response. Roughly how often are servers "retired" or exit IP's changed then? I appreciate if this is a vague question, but is it a frequent occurrence or just say, a few less used servers removed every now and then?

I'm not the expert here, but jumping in anyway... It's not frequent.  I've watched the US servers for a year and a half or so, and I think I've seen one retirement.  It caused some squawking from users who were using it as their all-the-time server.  I believe I also remember Air bailing out of France awhile back over adverse changes to the legal/privacy privacy.

My impression is that retirement is more likely to be over serious datacenter issues or the legal environment deteriorating re privacy and not just because usage is down.  Enough users choose the load-balancing domains like us3.vpn.airdns.org to keep all servers reasonably busy.  And server removal is announced weeks ahead of time here on the website.

If you want to experience frequent arbitrary server removal with no notice though, there's always NordVPN.  I've seen a list of two dozen working servers become a list of no working servers in under two years, all done silently.

From what I can tell each server in each country has its own exit IP, however if I wanted to keep the same IP for years at a time what would happen if e.g. a server is retired or changed? Would I have to use a new "main" server?

Is that really what you want and need? AIrVPN provides https://airvpn.org/faq/ddns/ dynamic DNS for the port-forwarding so instead of connecting to IP from outside (if that's what you want), you connect to your personal airdns DDNS address name.
On the other hand if you are really only concerned about using one single exit IP, well you can only hope nothing changes.

If anyone finds this topic for internal DHCP addresses: The DHCP lease is 1 year. The 10.0.0.0/8 subnet is used, each server gets you an IP within a random /24 subnet from that range. So between reconnects to the same server the internal IP does not change. DNS is .1 and DHCP is .254 (technically gateway IP is not specified).

On 5/14/2021 at 4:49 AM, guidance said:
Is that really what you want and need? AIrVPN provides https://airvpn.org/faq/ddns/ dynamic DNS for the port-forwarding so instead of connecting to IP from outside (if that's what you want), you connect to your personal airdns DDNS address name.
On the other hand if you are really only concerned about using one single exit IP, well you can only hope nothing changes.

If anyone finds this topic for internal DHCP addresses: The DHCP lease is 1 year. The 10.0.0.0/8 subnet is used, each server gets you an IP within a random /24 subnet from that range. So between reconnects to the same server the internal IP does not change. DNS is .1 and DHCP is .254 (technically gateway IP is not specified).
I'll be honest I have no idea what any of that means. I just want a static IP for joining private trackers and setting up a seedbox.