Not connected, Your IP: 3.91.176.3
fingee

IP Leak Help Requested

two laptops, one running Debian OS the other Windows 10. One VPN provider. Both use security/privacy configured Firefox browser.

Running IP leak however, when behind a VPN Server (US based) the results show:

Debian OS laptop displays the selected US State server  but the IP and DNS server IPs are different.

The Windows 10 laptop shows the same selected US State server but the IP and DNS server IPs are showig as the same.

What's going on here/ is this a linux thing? Is the Linux showing a DNS leak?

Any help on this would be very welcomed,

40 minutes ago, fingee said:

Is the Linux showing a DNS leak?

Nothing like that on a Debian, it uses /etc/resolv.conf for name resolution. Unless, of course, there's something wrong written there. Care to share? :)

NOT AN AIRVPN TEAM MEMBER. USE TICKETS FOR PROFESSIONAL SUPPORT.

LZ1's New User Guide to AirVPN « Plenty of stuff for advanced users, too!

Want to contact me directly? All relevant methods are on my About me page.

Posted ... (edited)
1 hour ago, OpenSourcerer said:

Nothing like that on a Debian, it uses /etc/resolv.conf for name resolution. Unless, of course, there's something wrong written there. Care to share? :)

That was my first thought, However when I  reported the different servers showing on the IP Leak test to my VPN they immediately concluded it to be an indication of a DNS leak and advised me to customize the DNS settings on my laptop. I did do that but the result was the same when running IP Leak. Here's a print-screen of that test: https://ibb.co/279FyLs  It was these two different IPs which my VPN provider said was signs of a leak. They insisted that both addresses in the IP Leak test results should be the same, as proof of no DNS leakage. When I use a VPN on my Windows 10 laptop the IP Leak result does show the same server details. As revealed here:  https://ibb.co/k26P3BS

Edited ... by fingee
typo

DNS in first link is Cloudflare DNS, which contradicts your message both Firefox instances are configured for "privacy/security", because it clearly points to DNS over HTTPS enabled in Firefox on Debian. Check the browser settings in General > Connection Settings or about:config for the value of the key network.trr.mode. In case of the latter, disable it by setting its value to 0 (off) or 5 (off by user choice).

NOT AN AIRVPN TEAM MEMBER. USE TICKETS FOR PROFESSIONAL SUPPORT.

LZ1's New User Guide to AirVPN « Plenty of stuff for advanced users, too!

Want to contact me directly? All relevant methods are on my About me page.