Not connected, Your IP: 52.205.159.48
sp69

Eddie causing Network Issue when restarting/shutdown

I am using the latest version of Eddie 2.20.0.  I have it set so I manually have to load it.

Whenever I have used Eddie and restart/shutdown windows, when Windows loads the computer cannot connect to Network. 

Looking at the properties of the Ethernet it looks like Eddie is changing the IP Assignment from Automatic to Manual .    (It also seems to change from Manual to Automatic when Eddie is closed down)

If I restart without using Eddie OR closing Eddie before I restart/shutdown the network is fine.

Please can you help

In Eddie Preferences > General, deselect Activate Network Lock at startup.

NOT AN AIRVPN TEAM MEMBER. USE TICKETS FOR PROFESSIONAL SUPPORT.

LZ1's New User Guide to AirVPN « Plenty of stuff for advanced users, too!

Want to contact me directly? All relevant methods are on my About me page.

4 hours ago, OpenSourcerer said:

In Eddie Preferences > General, deselect Activate Network Lock at startup.

That is already deselected. 

13 hours ago, sp69 said:

If I restart without using Eddie OR closing Eddie before I restart/shutdown the network is fine.

To some extent this is intended. Eddie must be shut down properly to reverse the Network Lock.

I dont have network lock activated.  

I should be able to restart my system without manually going into Eddie and closing the application?  I sometimes forget and then I have to muck around going into windows settings to change DHCP from Manual back to Automatic and then doing a restart of network adapter to get my internet back....

Eddie is obviously not closing down correctly when doing a restart and should be fixed.

I see.

3 hours ago, sp69 said:

I should be able to restart my system without manually going into Eddie and closing the application?

Eddie goes a little further than OpenVPN to ensure a Windows system does not send out bits outside the tunnel, so it's fitting that Eddie needs a little further love when you want to cleanly exit it. But if you don't want this behavior, there is an option in Preferences for that. I think it's in Advanced > Set DNS for all interfaces or something like that.
Be advised that this will enable Windows to send out DNS queries on any active interface, including the physical one, which introduces a DNS leak. To prevent Windows from doing that, you need to disable Smart Multihomed Name Resolution, sometimes referred to as Smart DNS.

3 hours ago, sp69 said:

Eddie is obviously not closing down correctly when doing a restart and should be fixed.

There's nothing to fix, it ain't broken.

I cant see those options in advanced.

I dont really want to compromise anything.  I just want the app to close everything properly like it does when you exit the app and not affect my windows DHCP when i restart with Eddie active.  I dont think its too much for the app to close gracefully when restarting PC and to not affect networking at next boot

Can this be done

6 hours ago, sp69 said:

I cant see those options in advanced.

Okay, then you might need to enable Expert Mode first. That is under Advanced. Then, if the option does not appear, please do the honors of clicking through the tabs as I cannot remember where last I saw it. The option should be called Apply DNS for all interfaces or very similar. Then Eddie stops editing all interfaces.

6 hours ago, sp69 said:

I just want the app to close everything properly like it does when you exit the app and not affect my windows DHCP when i restart with Eddie active.

See above.

6 hours ago, sp69 said:

I dont think its too much for the app to close gracefully when restarting PC and to not affect networking at next boot

Windows sometimes doesn't shut down apps gracefully, no reason to hiss at Eddie. :D As I wrote, Eddie needs a bit of time to reverse its changes on the OS. If you really want to shutdown Windows while Eddie is running and keeping an OpenVPN connection alive, you can do so by preventing the OS changes when it launches.

Keep in mind that you need to choose: This behavior of Eddie and you needing to shut it down properly, or not this behavior and you can shutdown as you see fit but without all of Eddie's changes to the OS. There is no middle ground here, it does not get more convenient unfortunately.

Okay thanks for clarifying it.  Not sure if it is something which could be added as option to prevent windows shutting down before Eddie finishes in future or maybe thats impossible :D

2 hours ago, sp69 said:

Not sure if it is something which could be added as option to prevent windows shutting down before Eddie finishes in future or maybe thats impossible

And again, that option already exists: If the confirmation dialog is enabled, Eddie prevents Windows from shutting down. Windows will say something like "This app is preventing Windows from shutting down".

I'm a little late to this party but you should be able to solve this problem by checking Settings > General > Start with system. As long as you don't have "Connect at startup" checked Eddie appears to just reset the network lock once it starts.