Not connected, Your IP: 3.235.236.13
HopeandGory

iknowwhatyoudownload.com

Quite shocked to find torrents that I've downloaded on their website with my IP address. As I'm using AirVPN.

Obviously I've got a DNS leak.. So What do I need to do to make sure I've stopped the leak?

Its 2021 and I can't find any proper information as to stop this leak.

I've cleared my DNS  Cashes
I've Turn off smart multi-homed name resolution etc
Yet I've still got a leak

Is there anything else I can do?

Wots the point in paying for a VPN if everyone can see wot I'm doing????

Good to know DHT crawlers still exist and can be used to scare people. :DI was fascinated once, too. This particular site even attempts a jump scare with its domain name.

No, you don't leak DNS. No, they don't know what you download.
Actually, you don't leak anything. It's in the nature of the Distributed Hash Table feature in BitTorrent clients to find as many peers as possible without the help of an external tracker.
DHT crawlers do the same but are no BitTorrent clients, instead they simply crawl through active peers and link their IPs with torrent hashes together. They also save properties of peers and torrent files, that's how those websites know the torrent's name for example. In theory they may also know PeerIDs and their properties like client and version, but what's this information really worth? I mean, if 100 clients downloaded a torrent called Ubuntu.20.10.x86_64.iso.torrent over a given IP address, and let's say you're one of them, how can I find out it was you who was one of the downloaders?

39 minutes ago, HopeandGory said:

Is there anything else I can do?

You could disable DHT in the BitTorrent client. This makes your torrenting somewhat centralized, though, since you then rely on trackers to find peers.

41 minutes ago, HopeandGory said:
Wots the point in paying for a VPN if everyone can see wot I'm doing????

While it is possible to look at which torrents peers exchanged over some IP address, it takes some imagination to correlate that to your own usage. It's easy for you because you know you downloaded that, but would I know that when I look at the results for your IP?

» I am not an AirVPN team member. All opinions are my own and are not to be considered official. Only the AirVPN Staff account should be viewed as such.

» The forums is a place where you can ask questions to the community. You are not entitled to guaranteed answer times. Answer quality may vary, too. If you need professional support, please create tickets.

» If you're new, take some time to read LZ1's New User Guide to AirVPN. On questions, use the search function first. On errors, search for the error message instead.

» If you choose to create a new thread, keep in mind that we don't know your setup. Give info about it. Never forget the OpenVPN logs or, for Eddie, the support file (Logs > lifebelt icon).

» The community kindly asks you to not set up Tor exit relays when connected to AirVPN. Their IP addresses are subject to restrictions and these are relayed to all users of the affected servers.

» Furthermore, I propose that your paranoia is to be destroyed. If you overdo privacy, chances are you will be unique amond the mass again.

10 hours ago, OpenSourcerer said:

While it is possible to look at which torrents peers exchanged over some IP address, it takes some imagination to correlate that to your own usage. It's easy for you because you know you downloaded that, but would I know that when I look at the results for your IP?

Is there any "criteria" to actually correlate the exit-IP(s) of the servers when multiple-sessions/tunnels is/are used?

1 hour ago, Flx said:

Is there any "criteria" to actually correlate the exit-IP(s) of the servers when multiple-sessions/tunnels is/are used?

Matching the PeerID directly, but things like Anonymous Mode in qB for example makes this difficult since the unique fingerprint and the user agent is not sent to others. I could then theoretically try fingerprinting a client using all the data saved by a crawler and calculate how probable it is that a set of properties belong to a specific client, similar to how browser fingerprinting would be used, albeit with much less features to choose from.

» I am not an AirVPN team member. All opinions are my own and are not to be considered official. Only the AirVPN Staff account should be viewed as such.

» The forums is a place where you can ask questions to the community. You are not entitled to guaranteed answer times. Answer quality may vary, too. If you need professional support, please create tickets.

» If you're new, take some time to read LZ1's New User Guide to AirVPN. On questions, use the search function first. On errors, search for the error message instead.

» If you choose to create a new thread, keep in mind that we don't know your setup. Give info about it. Never forget the OpenVPN logs or, for Eddie, the support file (Logs > lifebelt icon).

» The community kindly asks you to not set up Tor exit relays when connected to AirVPN. Their IP addresses are subject to restrictions and these are relayed to all users of the affected servers.

» Furthermore, I propose that your paranoia is to be destroyed. If you overdo privacy, chances are you will be unique amond the mass again.

12 minutes ago, Flx said:

OK but that would give you one exit-IP or all 3-4 exit-IPs?

The peer-id is randomly set when a BitTorrent client launches. Some clients support a randomization even while they're running.
Theory: peer-id may match one or more IPs. The latter because if I willingly or unwillingly disconnect from VPN while the client is running and I reconnect to a different server, two IPs may be matched to one specific ID. But then again, next time I relaunch the client, the id is different. I think this is the reason why websites like this don't show them, the peer-id list would simply overwhelm the display capabilities of such a website.
For qB I think it's crucial to enable Anonymous Mode. The wiki on GitHub also recommends this if behind a VPN.

I stand by my word from before: You can see that something specific was downloaded, but you won't be able to point fingers.

1 hour ago, OpenSourcerer said:

Theory: peer-id may match one or more IPs. The latter because if I willingly or unwillingly disconnect from VPN while the client is running and I reconnect to a different server, two IPs may be matched to one specific ID.

Yes. Even in the event that the actual session(s) would "drop-dead" or it is in "reconnecting-to-server mode" nothing flies until all sessions/connections are fully-established.

I’m no tech savy but I used to be able to sort out virus, malware,  and maybe hacks on my PC.

But that was years ago… It’s all gone very complicated and also exceedingly difficult with googling to find out what to do, as .. Google is shite, regarding software problems with Win 10 etc..

As I’m sure you all know…  Microsoft has let everyone down as their win10 system is a pain..

Having said the above many software comps are having problems with work a rounds. I’m not having a go at AIRVNP but they could be a bit more helpful and more proactive as I am a paying customer.

So with Win 10 updates + Bit torrent downloader software updates + Eddie. AIRVNP should have new information in configuring their system in order to make ones online security safe.

I was shocked to see my ISP on  IKNOWWHATYOUDOWNLOADED.COM with my torrent files.

If YOU “AIRVNP” want to keep your paying customers. You need to give proper tutorials on how to set up various software etc, otherwise people like me will stop using your services…

I did manage to solve my leak DNS problem. It was a Ubit torrent configuration but for all those years my ISP has been easily read, make me wonder… What’s the point in paying for this service? 

17 minutes ago, HopeandGory said:

was shocked to see my ISP on  IKNOWWHATYOUDOWNLOADED.COM with my torrent files.

If YOU “AIRVNP” want to keep your paying customers. You need to give proper tutorials on how to set up various software etc, otherwise people like me will stop using your services…

I did manage to solve my leak DNS problem. It was a Ubit torrent configuration but for all those years my ISP has been easily read, make me wonder… What’s the point in paying for this service? 

It's a bit unclear what you write, possibly because of a language barrier. Are you writing your ISP IP shows up in there? Or the AirVPN server exit IP?
Or, let me ask this way: Which IP do you see if you browse to that website?

And again, that website does not process DNS leaks. Its data source is DHT.

Then your problem is an IP address leak. And it's indeed shocking to see that website showing what you downloaded over the ISP IP.
We're going to need info on your setup. To kick off the troubleshooting efforts, if you use Eddie, connect, then in Logs tab click the lifebelt icon and paste or upload the output here.

I have managed to solve my leak problem, but not with any help from AIRVNP community website. (That’s what has pi**ed me off). Nor qBittorrent website.

I found an interesting website (removed: ads and dangerous information - staff ) explaining how to configure qBittorrent, which helped me configure my software, so now I got no Ip Leak or DNS leak.

qBittorrent website/forum does not either explain how to set up their software either. But as it’s free software one cannot complain…

I used “ipleak.net” to check it all and downloaded a torrent file. IKNOWWHATYOUDOWNLOADED.COM cannot see what I’m up to….

Like I said before “AIRVNP” should be explaining these set ups on their website and so too should the people who make the torrent software.

I skimmed through the guide you linked and apart from the VPN recommendations (against which respective forum threads exist) it's actually an above-average write-up of what you can configure in qB. Replace "killwitch" with "Network Lock" there and ignore all the ads for other services and it's a good resource.

20 hours ago, HopeandGory said:

(That’s what has pi**ed me off).

It shouldn't. Most input on the forums is coming from the community here. For some things people write excellent guides, for others there isn't much content available. C'est la vie, I guess.

20 hours ago, HopeandGory said:

Like I said before “AIRVNP” should be explaining these set ups on their website and so too should the people who make the torrent software. 

Why? AirVPN's first and foremost priority is a working OpenVPN connection to the servers. Anything done over this connection is a secondary topic, so definitely not a thing of the AirVPN team.
Then, first and foremost priority of people contributing to torrenting software is developing a stable client able to speak the BitTorrent protocol flawlessly. Compatibility with any VPN protocol out there is secondary at best, so you cannot expect them to focus on VPN compatibility first.

@HopeandGory

We removed your linked web site page because it contains dangerous information (they suggest to connect a torrent software to a socks proxy in order to get an anonymity layer) and advertisements to shady VPN services, at least one of them notorious for personal data breach and personal data harvesting, so they web site owners might not be in good faith. However they link to ipleak.net to verify your leaks (a free service powered by AirVPN ), how strange. :)

Our own guides on how to optimize torrent and eMule software and how to prevent any kind of traffic leak outside the VPN connection with our software contain more information, both in quantity and relevance. And those guides exist since 11 years ago or so.

Furthermore, the guides have been included in the FAQ linked in the web site top menu, in the "How-To" forum, in the welcome e-mail, in the thorough and accurate AirVPN guide by LZ1, and in dozens of threads in the community forum. Note that LZ1 as well as OpenSourcerer are community members, they do not work for AirVPN and they do all they do merely for passion and altruism.

Think of all of the above, read the documentation, and we are confident that you will deeply re-evaluate AirVPN community.

Kind regards

I still didn't see it explained enough: DHT.
The way decentralized Bittorrent operates: it has a GLOBALLY PUBLIC, distributed 'database'. This database contains infohashes (like magnetlinks) and peers who know about these infohashes. Basically, anyone on the internet can see who's doing what on the DHT.

@HopeandGory found out it was neither DNS leak nor DHT, a program misconfiguration. Well to be honest, I don't see how this would have been any different with any other VPN out there, had you gone with them. Ultimately you needed to configure AND test (SIC!) the software you used, not just connect to the VPN. AirVPN provides just a VPN service and that's alright with me, I'm tech-sawwy and saw absolutely no problems there. I'm glad nothing major happened though.

@Staff while there are guides everywhere, the forum too, but they're scattered. I think you could use this as an opportunity to rehash the current guides and posts, categorize them nicely to satisfy for 90% of newbie users needs. On the other hand if the user just jumps in, not spending a couple hours to test the setup.... oh well :)

@Stalinium

Hello!

We have categorized the guides in two places, answers to FAQ and How-To section (which is not a community forum, so new topics can be opened only by Staff). We have also added (very recently) a new search engine which does not search the whole forum but only our guides.

That said, as usual everything can be made better in an endless loop of improvements. :)

About users jumping in without testing, the best we can do is offering a robust leaks prevention (Network Lock) based on firewall rules. That should protect thoroughly even the most reckless user. :)

Kind regards