Not connected, Your IP: 44.212.39.149
SeUbHS

ANSWERED Way to bypass VPN on eddie android 9?

Probably a stupid question, but I tried both pausing and disconnecting in the android client, but it looks like the VPN is blocking all non-vpn traffic. I made sure to disable VPN lock in the settings, but still the same results. I can't whitelist apps either because I'm using this to game while tethered.

5 hours ago, SeUbHS said:

I can't whitelist apps either because I'm using this to game while tethered.

I don't understand this sentence. On Android it is possible to exclude apps from being routed through the VPN.

NOT AN AIRVPN TEAM MEMBER. USE TICKETS FOR PROFESSIONAL SUPPORT.

LZ1's New User Guide to AirVPN « Plenty of stuff for advanced users, too!

Want to contact me directly? All relevant methods are on my About me page.

7 hours ago, OpenSourcerer said:

I don't understand this sentence. On Android it is possible to exclude apps from being routed through the VPN.
Sorry about that, I meant tether as in using my phone to get internet on my PC. Tether is an android setting, not an app, and as such, I can't whitelist it. It'd just be easier anyways if I could disable the whole VPN temporarily while I use it for this use case, which is what I want to do.

Oh, so you want to connect to Eddie using Android, then connect your PC and use that VPN connection as well? At least on Android 10+ you can enable a setting to allow tethered clients to use one should it exist. Not sure if I saw that in Android 9 already, but in 10+ you find this option in Connections > Tethering or similar.

Posted ... (edited)
On 4/6/2021 at 12:45 PM, OpenSourcerer said:

Oh, so you want to connect to Eddie using Android, then connect your PC and use that VPN connection as well? At least on Android 10+ you can enable a setting to allow tethered clients to use one should it exist. Not sure if I saw that in Android 9 already, but in 10+ you find this option in Connections > Tethering or similar.

I can do that already, so that's not a problem. What I want is to do that, but also DISCONNECT from the VPN on the phone so I'm just using regular internet. I tried doing this by disconnecting from the VPN inside the eddie app on my phone, but the internet is still blocked by what I believe to be eddies anti-leak protection. Inside the eddie app on my phone, I clicked disable VPN lock, but that didn't fix it.

edit: p.s, I only mentioned tethering while gaming as my use case so that people would know that's why I HAVE to disconnect from the VPN. Edited ... by SeUbHS

5 hours ago, SeUbHS said:

What I want is to do that, but also DISCONNECT from the VPN on the phone so I'm just using regular internet.

Oh, so phone goes via clearnet and tethered clients via VPN? Pardon me, but why not simply connect with the tethered client, then? Because that setup is pretty much impossible without root access.

On 4/7/2021 at 8:06 PM, OpenSourcerer said:

Oh, so phone goes via clearnet and tethered clients via VPN? Pardon me, but why not simply connect with the tethered client, then? Because that setup is pretty much impossible without root access.
Close, it's actually the phone goes via clearnet and tethered client via clearnet. To do that, I gotta figure out a way to disable the VPN on my phone so it's just using clearnet internet.

Now my confusion is complete. :D If phone and tethered clients should go over clearnet, there's no need for a VPN. <- playing Captain Obvious here, but please do compose a post detailing clearly what the goal is you want to get to.

26 minutes ago, OpenSourcerer said:

Now my confusion is complete. :D If phone and tethered clients should go over clearnet, there's no need for a VPN. <- playing Captain Obvious here, but please do compose a post detailing clearly what the goal is you want to get to.

I want to game on my PC using my phone internet (hence tethering). However, the phone can't connect to the clearnet because the eddie app won't let it even when I pause or disconnect the eddie app.

Pause does not destroy the tunnel, only disconnect does. Are you sure you did not enable Always-On VPN in Android settings? This prevents all traffic on a system level unless the specified VPN app establishes a VPN connection.

On 4/11/2021 at 9:10 AM, OpenSourcerer said:

Pause does not destroy the tunnel, only disconnect does. Are you sure you did not enable Always-On VPN in Android settings? This prevents all traffic on a system level unless the specified VPN app establishes a VPN connection.

I found the always-on vpn setting and disabled it, which fixed the problem. Thanks!