Not connected, Your IP: 13.59.234.226
rohko

ANSWERED Resolve the IP address of the best AirVPN server using bash when leak protection is enabled

Hi

I use a custom bash script in Linux to enable leak protection using iptables. That is, the firewall blocks all the outgoing internet connections whose destination is a non-AirVPN IP address. I would like to keep the protection enabled always and automatically connect to the best current server in the Netherlands, for instance. This requires resolving the IP address of nl.vpn.airdns.org. However, if the leak protection is enabled and I have not connected to any AirVPN server, I cannot resolve the IP address. Neither I would like to enable temporarily access to some other DNS service, like Cloudflare's 1.1.1.1 or Google's 8.8.8.8 nor temporarily connecting to a random AirVPN server to just find out the best current server.

I have not yet tested the AirVPN's Linux suite, which would likely do this automatically. I wonder, if there is a way to accomplish this DNS name resolution in a simple manner using just bash? What I know AirVPN does not have public DNS servers.

43 minutes ago, OpenSourcerer said:

You could use your router's DNS to resolve it, and only it.

That is a good idea, but I usually connect to internet using mobile broadband and a LTE dongle. The dongle gets a public DNS address directly from an ISP, but I normally set it manually to 1.1.1.1. Therefore I have no possibility to request the IP from a router's DNS server.

I guess there is no simple solution to this. Perhaps it makes sense to use 1.1.1.1 for a while to allow the resolution. But the best option would be if AirVPN could setup a public DNS for everybody.

1 hour ago, rohko said:

I guess there is no simple solution to this.

To be more precise, absolutely no solution without you punching holes in your setup.

1 hour ago, rohko said:

But the best option would be if AirVPN could setup a public DNS for everybody.

If you need public DNS servers you can trust more than a company like Cloudflare, use services like OpenNIC.

People are quick to suggest AirVPN implement public DNS, a proxy, email, Wireguard and whatnot, but think about it: Do you really want to consolidate all your information in one place, just like Google urges you to do? AirVPN offers VPN access, it's not a groupware.

NOT AN AIRVPN TEAM MEMBER. USE TICKETS FOR PROFESSIONAL SUPPORT.

LZ1's New User Guide to AirVPN « Plenty of stuff for advanced users, too!

Want to contact me directly? All relevant methods are on my About me page.