Not connected, Your IP: 184.72.135.210
Terry Stanford

New version of Eddie fails to run

Ok, first things first, please understand I am NOT a tech expert! I would be grateful if replies could bear that in mind.

I was running Eddie 2.19.7. I won't say without any problems because I have constant problems with it. I would like to address those but since there is a new version alert, I thought give that a go first.
So I downloaded the new version, unzipped and installed (MAC), replacing 2.19.7 with the new version.
I then tried to run it and it failed with the attached error.
I then installed 2.19.7 again and that started up normally.
Any ideas how to fix the problem so I can run the newer version and try that?

In addition, here are the problems I get with 2.19.7 (and have for years now):

1. Random disconnections, sometimes while working on my machine, more often when machine goes into standby and I wake it. Leading to problem 2...

2. It gets "stuck", and Eddie hangs trying to re-establish connection. It often sits on "Checking route IPV4" for a LONG time, i.e. forever unless I force quit the app, exposing me to my ISP which I really hate, so I unplug the ethernet. This involves climbing behind my desk, and once or twice a day (or more sometimes) I find myself climbing on the desk and yanking a cable out! Not my idea of a good time :D

Thanks

eddie.png

6 hours ago, Terry Stanford said:

Ok, first things first, please understand I am NOT a tech expert! I would be grateful if replies could bear that in mind.

I was running Eddie 2.19.7. I won't say without any problems because I have constant problems with it. I would like to address those but since there is a new version alert, I thought give that a go first.
So I downloaded the new version, unzipped and installed (MAC), replacing 2.19.7 with the new version.
I then tried to run it and it failed with the attached error.
I then installed 2.19.7 again and that started up normally.
Any ideas how to fix the problem so I can run the newer version and try that?

In addition, here are the problems I get with 2.19.7 (and have for years now):

1. Random disconnections, sometimes while working on my machine, more often when machine goes into standby and I wake it. Leading to problem 2...

2. It gets "stuck", and Eddie hangs trying to re-establish connection. It often sits on "Checking route IPV4" for a LONG time, i.e. forever unless I force quit the app, exposing me to my ISP which I really hate, so I unplug the ethernet. This involves climbing behind my desk, and once or twice a day (or more sometimes) I find myself climbing on the desk and yanking a cable out! Not my idea of a good time :D

Thanks

eddie.png

Perhaps do what I had to do a few times to straighten everything out. Delete all Eddie's files in ~/.airvpn/eddie and start from scratch. Reboot. Reinstall Eddie. As far as "getting stuck checking ipv4, I had the same problem, also on a mac. Admin solved this for me by stating - "Please try the following settings:
- from Eddie's main window select "Preferences" > "Advanced"
- de-tick "Check if the VPN tunnel works"
- click "Save"
- from Eddie's main windows select "Preferences" > "DNS"
- de-tick "Check Air VPN DNS"
- from Eddie's main window enable "Network Lock" option (important, because you have disable some safety check previously)

Test again a connection to reproduce the issue and check whether the connection goes through this time. If so, go to ipleak.net web site and make sure that everything is fine."

Hope this helps. It's a starting point at least.

Hey, thanks very much for that. :)

I could play with those settings
, I have had to force Quit Eddie around 20 times today, it's been a long day!!

One thing though - they said "de-tick "Check Air VPN DNS" - What happens for DNS after that? I want to use Air's DNS servers, what would it use if unticked? (if you know?)

Thanks again, definitely some stuff to play with.

I have since managed to install the new version of Eddie too and will test that tomorrow, finally time for some sleep!

25 minutes ago, Terry Stanford said:

Hey, thanks very much for that. :)

I could play with those settings
, I have had to force Quit Eddie around 20 times today, it's been a long day!!

One thing though - they said "de-tick "Check Air VPN DNS" - What happens for DNS after that? I want to use Air's DNS servers, what would it use if unticked? (if you know?)

Thanks again, definitely some stuff to play with.

I have since managed to install the new version of Eddie too and will test that tomorrow, finally time for some sleep!

I'm in the same boat as you. I am not a tech wizard. I'm just basically learning as I go. If you really can't work it out, open a ticket with admin, explain your problem(s), save both log files and attach them to your ticket request and wait for a reply. Admin has been exceptionally good solving my problems if you give them all the information. Cheers! Make sure you are logged in. Go to Client Area. Create new support request. Make sure to attach both logs!

Thanks. I am pretty sure I went through that a couple of years back but we couldn't resolve it.
You said "both logs" - what do you mean? I know there's a log in Eddie, but didn't see two?
thanks again

10 hours ago, Terry Stanford said:

Eddie checks if AirDNS is used. If not, it's treated as a fatal error and the connection reset. This option disables this behavior. Basically it means you can check that yourself, or you have configured DNS servers yourself -> you know what you're doing.

1 hour ago, Terry Stanford said:

You said "both logs" - what do you mean? I know there's a log in Eddie, but didn't see two?

I think Mr. madrat meant Eddie logs and the system report (the lifebelt icon) which is redundant because the system report contains the log output. :)

NOT AN AIRVPN TEAM MEMBER. USE TICKETS FOR PROFESSIONAL SUPPORT.

LZ1's New User Guide to AirVPN « Plenty of stuff for advanced users, too!

Want to contact me directly? All relevant methods are on my About me page.

haha. brill thanks.

Just a quick follow up idea...

I have never used TunnelBlick, but wondering if I should consider it. I will check out if it has the features I need (mainly a strong network lock). Can anyone comment on whether it's as 'good' as Eddie when it comes to privacy and security? If so I might try it. I am typing this message and online fine, but Eddie is still showing "checking route IPV4" which it has been showing for 20 minutes now! Oh, oppps, no its just disconnected because that must have failed, but I was online until then! Oh, back to checking route IPV4 at a new server! Anyways.... I find Eddie takes FOREVER to load. I am nervous about the exposure I have to my ISP until it finally reaches "activating network lock". It can take 5 minutes, 10 minutes, sometimes never and I have to force quit, which sometimes hangs and I have to reboot, but usually force quite works, although again that exposes my connection again. If tunnelblick will load faster, without reducing security, that may be a good option :)

39 minutes ago, Terry Stanford said:

I have never used TunnelBlick, but wondering if I should consider it. I will check out if it has the features I need (mainly a strong network lock). Can anyone comment on whether it's as 'good' as Eddie when it comes to privacy and security?

It's just a "dumb" OpenVPN client you can use with any OpenVPN server out there. This means in particular that there are no network locks, kill switches or something like that.

NOT AN AIRVPN TEAM MEMBER. USE TICKETS FOR PROFESSIONAL SUPPORT.

LZ1's New User Guide to AirVPN « Plenty of stuff for advanced users, too!

Want to contact me directly? All relevant methods are on my About me page.

1 hour ago, OpenSourcerer said:

Eddie checks if AirDNS is used. If not, it's treated as a fatal error and the connection reset. This option disables this behavior. Basically it means you can check that yourself, or you have configured DNS servers yourself -> you know what you're doing.

I think Mr. madrat meant Eddie logs and the system report (the lifebelt icon) which is redundant because the system report contains the log output. :)

I had no idea the system report was redundant. I always include both. You learn something every day!

On 3/12/2021 at 6:48 AM, Terry Stanford said:

Ah, that solves that problem. eddie it is then! thanks

Just curious. Was your problem solved? I mean the " Unable to obtain elevated privileges"?

Hiya, I am running the new version fine now. Although, by "fine" I mean it's still buggy, but that is just eddie I think. I have totally migrated my data by hand from one mac to another, new user account, fresh start in case any glitches were in the old account.  (I didn't do this for Eddie's sake, I had to move to a new machine anyway and took the chance to create a fresh user account). Eddie is working a bit better I think, but it still occasionally freezes/hangs if I click too quick to cancel or change a connection etc. All in all it's more than usable though, and AirVPN is such a cool organisation that I will live with the occasional glitches! They usually happen after the machine goes into sleep, so I am playing with other settings (tried that before but worth doing again with new Eddie version).

Hey Madrat - does your Eddie app disconnect your machine from the internet as soon as your screen sleeps? Mine does, always has, and i really want to stop it happening as I often leave large uploads/downloads running while I pop away, come back to find it all froze shortly after I left the desk. This is often what triggers the loop where it can't reconnect without me quitting and restarting the app. I just want the VPN connection to stay active all the time, does yours disconnect automatically like this? thanks

14 hours ago, Terry Stanford said:

Hey Madrat - does your Eddie app disconnect your machine from the internet as soon as your screen sleeps? Mine does, always has, and i really want to stop it happening as I often leave large uploads/downloads running while I pop away, come back to find it all froze shortly after I left the desk. This is often what triggers the loop where it can't reconnect without me quitting and restarting the app. I just want the VPN connection to stay active all the time, does yours disconnect automatically like this? thanks

Well, if you are speaking of a laptop, then yes, mine disconnects (or Network Lock activates) until it wakes up. I was told way back when that this is normal. On my iMac, it will do the same thing if I allow the hard drive to sleep. If I don't allow it to sleep and only use my screen saver (on iMac) then it's fine and it d/l's in the background. Unfortunately, I only really use my MacBook Pro for emergencies, like if my iMac dies or has some kind of problem. If there is a simple workaround on a laptop, I don't know what it is. Anyone else??

5 minutes ago, madrat said:

Well, if you are speaking of a laptop, then yes, mine disconnects (or Network Lock activates) until it wakes up. I was told way back when that this is normal. On my iMac, it will do the same thing if I allow the hard drive to sleep. If I don't allow it to sleep and only use my screen saver (on iMac) then it's fine and it d/l's in the background. Unfortunately, I only really use my MacBook Pro for emergencies, like if my iMac dies or has some kind of problem. If there is a simple workaround on a laptop, I don't know what it is. Anyone else??

Perhaps this may work? Unfortunately, it does not tell you how to reverse the settings if it does not work, so use at your own risk. 😊
https://www.techrepublic.com/article/change-your-macos-power-settings-to-prevent-disconnecting-from-vpnwi-fi-when-the-computer-is-locked/

Sorry I didn't spot these messages. yes mine is an iMac. Not sure what my sleep settings are but I will play with them. I wouldn't mind the disconnection at all, IF I could sit back down and get straight back to work, but every time I end up with literally 20-30 minutes of messing around and usually forced to restart the whole machine when Eddie just won't run, won't connect, or won't finish latency tests and checkDNS. thanks again, i will have a read of that link

Its for WiFi users that article. I don't use wifi at all. But the very last command MIGHT work for me on ethernet - not sure and a bit scary to try! In case anyone pops in here who knows, here's the command:

pmset -a network oversleep 1

11 hours ago, Terry Stanford said:

Its for WiFi users that article. I don't use wifi at all. But the very last command MIGHT work for me on ethernet - not sure and a bit scary to try! In case anyone pops in here who knows, here's the command:

pmset -a network oversleep 1

I would guess that you are putting your hard drive to sleep. Turn that off and just use screen saver (as I do) and it should stay connected all the time!

Thanks. My machines are on all the time, and I am not sure what would happen when I switch user, surely the other inactive user will always go to sleep as it can't display a screensaver?
I will have a play and see. thanks again